Passport Question

spareparts73

That almost happened to me. I stood in line and when it was my turn to check on, I found that I had brought my leather passport cover but the passport wasn't in it. Then I remembered my passport card was in my wallet. Close call. But i have literally seen kids crying because thier parents didn't have the right documents and thier vacation was not only ruined but they were out the money they spent getting to the port, hotel the night before, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Due diligence is a good thing.:) (And we have EDL's as a backup. A bit more expensive than passport cards but we don't need to carry an extra document and should a wild hare strike we can cross the border without returning home or going to the bank since we always carry our licenses.)

The other interesting thing is, it seems some people have a crystal ball, to they KNOW they will only take ONE cruise, and not travel out of the country for the next 10 years. :D

Oh, and I want to know the cruise that is only $1200 for 6 people.

The other interesting thing is, it seems some people have a crystal ball, to they KNOW they will only take ONE cruise, and not travel out of the country for the next 10 years. :D

Oh, and I want to know the cruise that is only $1200 for 6 people.

I think most people have a pretty fair idea what they can do when it comes to travel. In 2009 a 4 day cruise on the NCL Sky cost about $1200 for 7 people in two inside cabins. When we started cruising we knew we wanted to travel internationally by air at some point but we had no idea when that would be. Turned out to be 2015 and that is when we got our passports. Don't know why you care so much what other people use that you have to try to belittle people. Millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport.

Don't know why you care so much what other people use that you have to try to belittle people. Millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport.

Don't know why you go on and on about the non-necessity of passports whenever anyone suggests that having them is just a matter of common sense. It is hardly belittling people to point out the risks of traveling without passports - or to show how little the real expense is: $13.50 per year is little more than the cost of one annual frou-frou drink at sailaway.

I just called the U.S. Passport # and they asked for my zip code for the post office to in my area to take the picture. Also if you wear glasses take them off for the picture. I'm glad I called them and found out this info. I just thought I would pass it along.

I've always worn my glasses in the photos and they've never rejected them. The only time I don't wear glasses is when sleeping or in water.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I've always worn my glasses in the photos and they've never rejected them. The only time I don't wear glasses is when sleeping or in water.

When was the last time you had your passport renewed?

There have been recent posts about passport applications/renewals returned rejected due to photos with glasses

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "no glasses" just changed within the last year or so. It's mostly (from what I've been told) because facial recognition kiosks can't do glasses.

When was the last time you had your passport renewed?

There have been recent posts about passport applications/renewals returned rejected due to photos with glasses

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2013. Checked the DoS website & it now says no glasses. [emoji19] Maybe they will change back before 2023.

2013. Checked the DoS website & it now says no glasses. [emoji19] Maybe they will change back before 2023.

Of course, with ongoing improvements in facial recognition technology, tighter - rather than looser - rules are likely in future: perhaps no makeup, not even lipstick might be the rule.

Of course, with ongoing improvements in facial recognition technology, tighter - rather than looser - rules are likely in future: perhaps no makeup, not even lipstick might be the rule.

Facial recognition software is relatively new for customs and is not accurate if the photo has glasses or the person is wearing glasses. The software can account for makeup and even beard changes but not glasses.

Don't know why you go on and on about the non-necessity of passports whenever anyone suggests that having them is just a matter of common sense. It is hardly belittling people to point out the risks of traveling without passports - or to show how little the real expense is: $13.50 per year is little more than the cost of one annual frou-frou drink at sailaway.

I try to present the other side of the debate fairly without trying to over dramatize things so that people can make an informed decision for themselves and will gladly offer a counterpoint. I don't try to make other people's decisions for them. Pointing out the risks or expense isn't belittling, but I did find the response that I directly quoted to be on the belittling side of things, questioning how people could have a crystal ball and how much was paid for a cruise.

This is because some countries will not accept your documents if you have your glasses on or are smiling.

The smiling thing started with the French. No smiling pictures for visas (for business travel).

And yes, this is a fairly recent change.

I think most people have a pretty fair idea what they can do when it comes to travel. In 2009 a 4 day cruise on the NCL Sky cost about $1200 for 7 people in two inside cabins. When we started cruising we knew we wanted to travel internationally by air at some point but we had no idea when that would be. Turned out to be 2015 and that is when we got our passports. Don't know why you care so much what other people use that you have to try to belittle people. Millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport.

WOW, I should have cruised when you could cruise with $150 per person. $40 per night is cheaper than a Motel 6. :)

But my point is, 10 years is a long time. Things change, both to the good and the bad. So being SO sure you will not need a passport in the next 10 years is a bit like using a crystal ball.

WOW, I should have cruised when you could cruise with $150 per person. $40 per night is cheaper than a Motel 6. :)

But my point is, 10 years is a long time. Things change, both to the good and the bad. So being SO sure you will not need a passport in the next 10 years is a bit like using a crystal ball.

Yes, 10 years is a long time but why the rush, passports can be applied for at any time and it doesn't take long to get them. The whole "they know they won't travel out of the country for 10 years" is your construct, not mine, we ended up waiting only 6 years until the time we needed them for international air travel and thus have the full 10 years to make use of them. When we first cruised we didn't know if we would ever cruise again because we didn't know if the boys would like it and we certainly could not afford to take all 7 of us on an international trip by air anywhere. (And a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas on NCL isn't that far removed from a Motel 6:').)

Firstly, I agree that letting people new to cruising know about the risks of not having a passport is not demeaning in any way.

I have no doubt that entry into and out of the U.S. is (and will continue) to get more strict. While facial recognition is new, iris scan is not. It has been used for at least five years at Canadian airports. It goes along with Global Entry and Nexus (Nexus is used for the of us that cross the Canadian border frequently). When we arrive from out of the country to Vancouver, B.C., we put our card in the machine - look at a mirror-type device until it reads our iris - it prints out a receipt and that is it. No more standing in lines. It is important to note that a background check is necessary in order to have Global Entry or Nexus.

I did notice earlier this month when we were boarding a ship to go to Alaska (out of Vancouver), people that were not U.S. citizens were being fingerprinted. This wasn't a closed-loop cruise so everyone needed a passport.

IMO, if I did not have a passport, I would get one - even if I had no immediate plans to travel outside of the U.S. If/when they become required for everyone traveling outside of the U.S., it is likely to take months to get one and the prices will likely become even higher.

Firstly, I agree that letting people new to cruising know about the risks of not having a passport is not demeaning in any way.

I have no doubt that entry into and out of the U.S. is (and will continue) to get more strict. While facial recognition is new, iris scan is not. It has been used for at least five years at Canadian airports. It goes along with Global Entry and Nexus (Nexus is used for the of us that cross the Canadian border frequently). When we arrive from out of the country to Vancouver, B.C., we put our card in the machine - look at a mirror-type device until it reads our iris - it prints out a receipt and that is it. No more standing in lines. It is important to note that a background check is necessary in order to have Global Entry or Nexus.

I did notice earlier this month when we were boarding a ship to go to Alaska (out of Vancouver), people that were not U.S. citizens were being fingerprinted. This wasn't a closed-loop cruise so everyone needed a passport.

IMO, if I did not have a passport, I would get one - even if I had no immediate plans to travel outside of the U.S. If/when they become required for everyone traveling outside of the U.S., it is likely to take months to get one and the prices will likely become even higher.

Passports are required of US citizens in order to re-enter the country and that is what the DHS regulations cover and this came about because of the events of 9/11. Prior to that a US citizen could present him/herself at the border (land or sea) with an ID and self declare their citizenship. The closed loop exception is one of many that are contained within the regulations and as I pointed out above that particular exception exists because DHS determined that a it's a low risk to the national security. I also have my passport but if I did not I certainly wouldn't let any concerns about changes that may or may not happen cause me to get one unless I had travel planned that required it, but if someone did want to do that it's fine because it's not my money. (And if any changes were made they wouldn't happen overnight, the last time took several years.) Conceivably the islands in the Caribbean could change their requirements and require US citizens to have passports regardless of their mode of arrival, but I don't see much likelihood of that happening, either. In any event, like it or not, the closed loop exception is here and some will chose to use something other than a passport when cruising on a closed loop cruise.

Passports are required of US citizens in order to re-enter the country and that is what the DHS regulations cover and this came about because of the events of 9/11. Prior to that a US citizen could present him/herself at the border (land or sea) with an ID and self declare their citizenship. The closed loop exception is one of many that are contained within the regulations and as I pointed out above that particular exception exists because DHS determined that a it's a low risk to the national security. I also have my passport but if I did not I certainly wouldn't let any concerns about changes that may or may not happen cause me to get one unless I had travel planned that required it, but if someone did want to do that it's fine because it's not my money. (And if any changes were made they wouldn't happen overnight, the last time took several years.) Conceivably the islands in the Caribbean could change their requirements and require US citizens to have passports regardless of their mode of arrival, but I don't see much likelihood of that happening, either. In any event, like it or not, the closed loop exception is here and some will chose to use something other than a passport when cruising on a closed loop cruise.

Agree with some points but disagree about the likelihood that it would take years to change current passport requirements. Recent travel bans have shown how things can change overnight. My concern about getting a passport is if a sudden change occurs comes from what happened when Brazil hosted the Olympics and suddenly many people were trying to get visas. Consulates could not keep up with the demand and it was taking a few months to obtain the visa. While this is not the same as passports, a sudden surge of passport applications could slow the process down dramatically.

I guess I'm the type that would rather plan ahead than be sorry that I didn't. We are doing what is technically a closed-loop cruise in November -- 25 nights - Miami to Miami but the cruise goes to the Amazon. Even if a passport was not required, I wouldn't want to be that far away from home without a way to get back via plane ...... just in case.

Agree with some points but disagree about the likelihood that it would take years to change current passport requirements. Recent travel bans have shown how things can change overnight. My concern about getting a passport is if a sudden change occurs comes from what happened when Brazil hosted the Olympics and suddenly many people were trying to get visas. Consulates could not keep up with the demand and it was taking a few months to obtain the visa. While this is not the same as passports, a sudden surge of passport applications could slow the process down dramatically.

I guess I'm the type that would rather plan ahead than be sorry that I didn't. We are doing what is technically a closed-loop cruise in November -- 25 nights - Miami to Miami but the cruise goes to the Amazon. Even if a passport was not required, I wouldn't want to be that far away from home without a way to get back via plane ...... just in case.

The other requirement for a closed loop cruise to be one by definition is that it has to take place within the confines defined by the WHTI and the Amazon is outside of those parameters. If I were on a 25 night cruise (such as 3 back to backs) that would likely influence my decision regarding passports if we didn't already have them. I don't see the US changing its requirements any time soon and I suppose a Caribbean island could decide to cut it's economic throat by requiring cruise ship passengers to have passports but I don't think that is very likely. When we obtained our passports I submitted them 3 months before our travel date to allow extra time for anything out of the ordinary.

My concern about getting a passport is if a sudden change occurs comes from what happened when Brazil hosted the Olympics and suddenly many people were trying to get visas. Consulates could not keep up with the demand and it was taking a few months to obtain the visa. While this is not the same as passports, a sudden surge of passport applications could slow the process down dramatically.

This happened about 10 years ago, when the rules changed about Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

MASSIVE influx in passport applications. And they were taking up to 6 months to get a US passport.

RealID will probably have an impact come the beginning of the year and many people will not be able to fly without some other ID, if they state DL doesn't meet the standards.

This happened about 10 years ago, when the rules changed about Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

MASSIVE influx in passport applications. And they were taking up to 6 months to get a US passport.

RealID will probably have an impact come the beginning of the year and many people will not be able to fly without some other ID, if they state DL doesn't meet the standards.

And many of those people applying for those passports applied for them because they were in a panic, not because they actually needed them. As for REAL ID there is a real possibility that DHS will provide yet another extension for non-compliant states https://www.dhs.gov/federal-enforcement

There is contradictory information about when one will need a RealID compliant license to fly. I've seen January 22, 2018 and that is the only date I see now on the TSA or other Federal web pages. But the California DMV says they have an extension that allows it until Oct 1, 2020. I can be relaxed about the discrepancy because I have other identification (passport book and card, global entry card - any of which qualifies).

Here is what DHS says about CA extension - https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/california

Starting January 22, 2018, passengers who have driver’s licenses issued by a state that is not yet compliant with REAL ID and that has not received an extension will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel. Please see TSA’s website for a list of acceptable forms of identification. Passengers who have licenses issued by a state that is compliant or that has an extension to become compliant with REAL ID requirements may continue to use their licenses as usual. For a list of states already in compliance or with an extension visit DHS’s REAL ID webpage. DHS continually updates this list as more states come into compliance or obtain extensions.

Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need to present a REAL ID-compliant license or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel. A REAL ID compliant license is one that meets, and is issued by a state that complies with, the REAL ID Act’s security standards.

So it seems that CA DMV is correct, they have an extension. But the page about their extension does not mention the extension for flying. But that may be part of ALL extensions.

Link to page for all states - https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

It seems every state is either compliant or has an extension, so the Jan 2018 date seems moot.

Thank you so much for making my point...... IMO it is important to give people new to cruising the worst case scenario. If, after learning that they will likely be delayed if they wish to return to the U.S. if they do not have a passport and still want to travel without them, at least they are informed.

sparks1983, does it really matter that people applying for passports were panicking? The fact is that it took up to 6 months to get a US passport is an important fact for new cruisers to know.

Not trying to be snarky at all -- just looking at this from the perspective of a new cruiser that does not have the experience that many of us have. It would be horrible if someone was sailing with a drivers license and learned that a family member was in a crisis or life and death situation and they could not return home simply in time because they did not have a passport.

Thank you so much for making my point...... IMO it is important to give people new to cruising the worst case scenario. If, after learning that they will likely be delayed if they wish to return to the U.S. if they do not have a passport and still want to travel without them, at least they are informed.

sparks1983, does it really matter that people applying for passports were panicking? The fact is that it took up to 6 months to get a US passport is an important fact for new cruisers to know.

Not trying to be snarky at all -- just looking at this from the perspective of a new cruiser that does not have the experience that many of us have. It would be horrible if someone was sailing with a drivers license and learned that a family member was in a crisis or life and death situation and they could not return home simply in time because they did not have a passport.

I think it's important to give people realistic information based on current conditions and what happened in 2008 was an anomaly and from the posts that I've read current passport turnaround is 3 weeks or less. There are provisions in the regulations for getting people home in the event of an emergency and depending upon the circumstances the delay would very likely be negligible. Of course if one wants to be 100% sure that they can get home with as little delay as possible they can get a passport. (And what would probably keep most people from returning early is lack of money for airfare.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2544751

Edited by sparks1093