Key West Replaced

skycomb

The more I think about this, the more I think you are lucky. Key West is a terrible cruise stop, especially from Miami. The upper keys start just a few minutes south of Miami. It's across the bay. It seems so useless to cruise there.

On one of our Brilliance cruise trips that was to stop in Key West last year, we had to skip Key West due to strong winds (it's a complicated port even on a good day). There was no sub. We had an additional "day at sea".

5 night cruise...one port of call (Cozumel).

On one of our Brilliance cruise trips that was to stop in Key West last year, we had to skip Key West due to strong winds (it's a complicated port even on a good day). There was no sub. We had an additional "day at sea".

5 night cruise...one port of call (Cozumel).

Yup. Equinox skipped it on our June cruise. Weather was perfect, sea was like glass, no wind. Something about "currents not being able to get us out of the channel in time, and wind" was mentioned in the announcement. They know better on the bridge!

Freeport sucks, but the cruise lines are running out of options.

What exactly sucks about Freeport? The 30+ excursions to do... jeeps, atv, brewery, boating/sailing, swimming, beaches, bars, shopping, segways, dolphins, fishing, jet skiis, etc. etc.

Honestly, to those who say it sucks, what do you need at a stop? What more do you want? I could visit Freeport 20 times and enjoy something totally different every time. And to think Key West is better? For what? A few shops and not much going on during the day? Key West is an evening destination when the ships are gone! To actually get out and do activities, Freeport is better than Key West by a long shot. And anyone can just stay an extra day in Miami and drive to the keys...

Do you just like stops where you can get off and visit the 30+ jewelry stores in a small town near the dock? I really don't understand the hostility towards the Bahamas, it's strange. White sand beaches, clear water, and more activities than you can do in a lifetime. SUCKS!!!!

What exactly sucks about Freeport? The 30+ excursions to do... jeeps, atv, brewery, boating/sailing, swimming, beaches, bars, shopping, segways, dolphins, fishing, jet skiis, etc. etc.

Honestly, to those who say it sucks, what do you need at a stop? What more do you want? I could visit Freeport 20 times and enjoy something totally different every time. And to think Key West is better? For what? A few shops and not much going on during the day? Key West is an evening destination when the ships are gone! To actually get out and do activities, Freeport is better than Key West by a long shot. And anyone can just stay an extra day in Miami and drive to the keys...

Do you just like stops where you can get off and visit the 30+ jewelry stores in a small town near the dock? I really don't understand the hostility towards the Bahamas, it's strange. White sand beaches, clear water, and more activities than you can do in a lifetime. SUCKS!!!!

There's nothing within walking distance, basically. That, I think, is the real issue.

Stayed at a resort on Grand Bahamas Island once for a whole week. Did a tour around the Island and basically hung around the beach during the day. They did have some nightlife that we kind of enjoyed. Other than the beaches and the tour and the small shopping areas we didn't find a lot to do for our week there. Grand Lucayan is however much better than Freeport. There was a water taxi right behind our resort that would take us over to there for 3 or 4 bucks. I won't say it sucked but we have no desire to go back again on a cruise or land vacation.