Key West Replaced

skycomb

Oct 2 cruise on the Enchancment, Key West is replaced, kind of bummed out because I've never been, but they need their time to recover. Freeport is the replacement. Alright place?

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma on Key West, we have made a change to your itinerary. We will now be visiting Freeport, Bahamas on October 5th instead of Key West. Any pre-paid shore excursions will be refunded to the original form of payment, and you will have an opportunity to book shore excursions for Freeport, Bahamas online via our Pre Cruise Planner and once you board.

frame.pnglogo_footer.png ©2017 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas

Edited by skycomb
Layout

Oct 2 cruise on the Enchancment, Key West is replaced, kind of bummed out because I've never been, but they need their time to recover. Freeport is the replacement. Alright place?

Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma on Key West, we have made a change to your itinerary. We will now be visiting Freeport, Bahamas on October 5th instead of Key West. Any pre-paid shore excursions will be refunded to the original form of payment, and you will have an opportunity to book shore excursions for Freeport, Bahamas online via our Pre Cruise Planner and once you board.

There is really only one option in Freeport. Grand Lucayan Resort

http://www.resortforaday.com/Grand-Lucayan-Day-Pass-Freeport-Excursions-p/fpfrgl.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9O3NBRD39Ie58fyv0rABEiQAK6wPTxsFJmZfH56tjmA0ud-_cDDVYJjlM1NgRyS278ceGBAaAvCP8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPzwoNK7qNYCFSOwswodtm8PVw

Oct 2 cruise on the Enchancment, Key West is replaced, kind of bummed out because I've never been, but they need their time to recover. Freeport is the replacement. Alright place? ...

We didn't find much to do in Freeport.

Not really.

Unfortunately, no comparison between Freeport and Key West, but really not much you can do about it with all the damage there and there isn't another port close enough to take it's place. A reason for another cruise in the future! :D

It is very possible to have a good time in Freeport. I am a Cruise Critic oddball on this one.

Freeport is one of my favorite places in the world. I have almost messed up and bought a time share a couple of times. I just couldn't get them to my price.

Try to get to Taino beach if you don't do the grand whatever. That is very nice too and you can get a day pass pretty cheap.

That is right across the street from Count Baisie square. Lots of eating places there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to either Grand Lucayan or go out on a boat snorkeling. Very good snorkeling there, just make sure the boat isn't held together by plywood (which did happen to us in Freeport). They also have a dolphin place if you are interested in that. The port itself is pretty much an industrial shipping port with nothing to do within miles except for a Señor Frog's.

It is very possible to have a good time in Freeport. I am a Cruise Critic oddball on this one.

Freeport is one of my favorite places in the world. I have almost messed up and bought a time share a couple of times. I just couldn't get them to my price.

Try to get to Taino beach if you don't do the grand whatever. That is very nice too and you can get a day pass pretty cheap.

That is right across the street from Count Baisie square. Lots of eating places there.

If I am forced to go there again, I will check this out.

http://www.tainobeach.com

Hey I'm with you, after all Howard Hughes lived there at the Xanadu Beach resort that he owned..

Damn, way more bummed out from all the responses and thanks. We'll definatly make the best of it regardless.

There is a contingent of posters here who hate the Bahamas for whatever reason. I wouldn't let it get you bummed. Key West is one of the best ports for getting off the ship and just walking around. It's not a great port for excursions. If all you wanted to do was walk around a town, then yeah you may prefer Key West. If you are open to booking a fun excursion, you will probably enjoy Freeport more.

I may be a little biased as I've been to Key West so many times. It's "ok" - it has it's charm, but I think it's more fun at night when the cruise ships leave anyways. I don't think it's an amazing cruise port or anything. You aren't missing much.

I am also not interested in a cruise to a place you can drive to from the port in just a few hours. If you have the ability, just extend your vacation a day or two and drive over to Key West on a future cruise when everything is rebuilt.

Freeport you have to get away from the industrial port area to do much of anything. There is just a tiny shopping village at port. It's not a port you can get off and just go explore on your own like Key West is. If a taxi ride to a beach is your thing Freeport is fine, otherwise not all that much going on.

Freeport you have to get away from the industrial port area to do much of anything. There is just a tiny shopping village at port. It's not a port you can get off and just go explore on your own like Key West is. If a taxi ride to a beach is your thing Freeport is fine, otherwise not all that much going on.
Pier One is a great place for lunch and it's walkable from the port. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147420-d1045971-Reviews-Pier_One_Restaurant-Freeport_Grand_Bahama_Island_Bahamas.html

We went to Freeport and had a fantastic time. We took a cab to a company who did excursions. We wanted to see the Pirates of the Caribbean prop ship.

We paid something really cheap, and lounged on Taino Beach waiting for our boat. We got a rum punch while we waited. He arrived, and we had a one-on-one tour in the waterways between the mansions. We drove past the dolphin excursion which was cool to see (but depressing for those poor dolphins to be honest.)

We came to the ship, and he let us on to walk around. No idea if that's allowed typically since it didn't seem super safe lol.

Got back on the small boat and drove through more waterways until we reached a set of docks and he let us out. I feel like the place we stopped at was Rum Runner? and the guy hacked a coconut with a machete and made me the best pina colada I've ever had! We grabbed a cab back. Great island.