Cost of verizon cell/smart phone

rtlk

We are leaving in acouple of weeks on a Ruby Coastal Cruise. We have 4 cabins and 8 people in our group. We care concerned about how best to communicate while on board. Most have Verizon Phones, of various brands. We don't want roaming charges to cost us an arm and a leg any suggestion's?

If the phones are smartphones with WiFi, put them in Airplane mode. Then turn on WiFi and open a browser. A log-in page will appear that will connect you to the ship's Intranet and Princess@Sea. That's not the Internet and is free. You can message each other, check your onboard folio, check activities, dining times, order breakfast room service, buy Future Cruise Deposits, etc.

Once you sign into Princess@Sea, you'll see an ID #. Exchange that number with the others in your group. You won't be able to look up numbers due to privacy concerns.

Do as Pam suggests. The only caveat with Princess@Sea is that there is no push notification to let you know you have a message. Unless you check you won't know about any messages. Otherwise it works well (except for when the stupid WiFi signal drops you at random intervals). If you all agree to check for messages on the hour that might work well.

Strongly suggest you call verizon and ask them. That's what I did when I first started cruising. They were very helpful. Asked questions about my intent for using my phone and made recommendations specific to my needs. They actually recommended that I not buy one of their plans since my needs were minimal. They also sent me a PDF with instructions on how to set up my phone.

There are a lot of people here with advice on how to use your phone but they may not know your specifics so call Verizon. It's free and you'll get the information you need. BTW, if you rely upon their advice and it doesn't work, then you can probably get your money back. Relying upon internet posters won't.

While onboard, I believe texts sent are .50 (per recipient). So, a group text to seven people is .5 X 7, or $3.50

While onboard, I believe texts received are .10 per text.

It's not a bad option for urgent updates or must-dos, but using that for a normal means of communication would get expensive quickly.

For now, low-tech is probably the way to go.

Princess should just get the app to do push notifications, would solve many of the on board communication issues IMHO. And yes, force the app to vibrate only as to not disturb other pax with an annoying tone every time someone gets a message.

Looks like RCCL has a onetime fee per cruise for $7.95 for unlimited text and calling other pax on board via wifi with phone alerts for both. I'll bet it isn't perfect but I also bet it's a whole lot better than what Princess has to offer.

I, for one, do not want vibrate or any other cell phone features on the Princess app. I can "hear" the vibrate. I don't want people talking on their cell phone constantly. I see that on Coastal cruises. As soon as we hit Ensenada...the phones all come out. Conversations in the buffet, in the IC, everywhere. I like the post it notes. I have a magnetic white board on the outside of my door. There are many ways to "communicate" the old fashion way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For what it's worth Princess@sea is not an app. It is an intranet address. I believe that is why notifications are not possible.

I was told by one of the ships internet managers that they were working on audible notifications, but that was before the Medallions were to be introduced.

It may change everything in the near future.

For what it's worth Princess@sea is not an app. It is an intranet address. I believe that is why notifications are not possible.

That's true Today it's just a website but it used to be an app. It's also possible to emulate push on a web page by having the page auto refresh every so many minutes.

As noted, maybe the medallion is the Princess solution. I think that could also give Princess more control of when, where and how notifications will be provided over an app like RCCL has.

That's true Today it's just a website but it used to be an app. It's also possible to emulate push on a web page by having the page auto refresh every so many minutes..

Not even necessary any more ... most modern browsers can receive and display notifications.