Have you ever purchased an upgrade upon boarding?

Grand PooBah

In 2002, on the Enchantment, we were able to upgrade from a side balcony cabin to an aft cabin. Had to go to the old cabin to collect excursion tickets etc. but we didn't mind! It was a paid upgrade. In all our years of cruising we've never had a free upgrade.

Going to be on Allure next Sunday, has anybody been successful at purchasing an upgrade at boarding time?

No, I haven't seen any upgrades at boarding time. Why don't you call them (or your TA if you have one) & see what, if anything, is available now? I have been given a couple "free" upgrades 1-2 weeks prior to sailing. I didn't ask for them.

We usually cruise on RCCL, they seem to do their internal upgrades prior to check-in, so not much would be available on the day of sailing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

At check-in time this is not possible as the shore check-in staff have no access to cabin inventory.

Once on board you would need to go to the passenger service desk where you will likely see a sign saying the ship is full and no upgrades are available.

In 2010 on Adventure we were able to upgrade from an aft balcony to an Owners Suite for $200. The upgrades were done at the pier co-ordinaters desk in the terminal straight after check in. We even got double points!

Haven't seen anything like that recently though.

Julie

At check-in time this is not possible as the shore check-in staff have no access to cabin inventory. ... .

The way it used to work, when staterooms were available, was that you would check-in, get your SeaPass card, and then go see the Pier Coordinator in the terminal, and ask about upgrades. I've seen Pier Corrdinators in the terminal recently, but when I ask them, they say there are no staterooms available.

Yes, years ago you could go to the Pier coordinator prior to boarding and sometimes get an upgrade for a small fee. The fee varied between the stateroom that you paid for and the level upgrade that you received. We were able to enjoy this benefit 3 times - all of which were a long time ago!

It did not take long for news of these upgrades to spread and "lines" formed. From there, it did not take RCI long to change their policy and discontinue pier upgrades. .