Alaska Options

Mooseman12

We've cruised on Carnival 21 times, but my wife and sister-in-law are insisting we use HAL for our Alaskan cruise. I looking for any input anyone may have as this will be our first time to Alaska and our first time on Holland America.

My wife and I will be traveling together and my SIL cruises alone. A suite for the 3 of us is an option, but generally we have separate balcony rooms (I think they are called Verandah's on HAL). Not knowing anything about HAL ships or suggested itineraries, I'm looking for any input any experienced Alaskan cruisers might want to share. At this point we are looking to book August 2018 and we'd like to have at least 7-10 days on ship and a couple of extra days on land.

Thanks in Advance!

At this point we are looking to book August 2018 and we'd like to have at least 7-10 days on ship and a couple of extra days on land.

Thanks in Advance!

Those extra days on land -- do you mean in Alaska? Or at your embarkation port?

And I strongly suggest you do some reading on the Alaska forum of CC (loads of info, knowledgeable posters...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Don't discount HAL's 14-day Seattle round trip itinerary. You give up the inland portion of a cruisetour in favor of more Alaska port calls.

We also had our first ocean view cabin on the Alaska cruise and really didn't miss the balcony. The weather won't be such that you'd spend much time sunning on the balcony anyway.

I agree with your DW and SIL about cruising on HAL - they've been sailing to Alaska for 70 years and seems to have gotten it down pretty good

Up until our HAL cruise three weeks ago, we only sailed Carnival but their limited Alaska sailings and not including Glacier Bay made it easy for us to chose HAL.

For us, the Eurodam was a lot more conservative than all the Carnival cruises we had been on - in décor, activities and passengers, although sailing when most schools are in session may have contributed more towards that last part. We felt that the food was a little better on Carnival but Tamarind was outstanding and put many land restaurants to shame! Service was spot on.

Main thing to keep in mind is that sailing to Alaska is all about Alaska - the ship is secondary at best.

I have to add my advice - we went on the Diamond PRINCESS for 11 day land-cruise tour. They own most of the lodges in Alaska for tourists and have most of the train cars reserved for them. I would highly recommend booking with Princess and doing the 4 day land tour first, landing in Anchorage and traveling up to Denali for the park tour, then taking the train down to Seward to board the ship. Also recommend the excursion in Ketchican for a seaplane trip to either Misty Fjords or a small island that has many black bears to watch safely with a guide.

Just returned from an Alaska cruise (inside Passage) and brought along our adult daughter. At the time of booking had no thought of inviting her, but ran across a 3&4 person free deal. We were in a Neptune Suite and couldn’t of been more pleased with the room we had, absolutely no issues. It’s nice there is a dressing area off the bathroom that has a curtain for more privacy.

Highlights for us was Hubbard Glacier and seeing the Northern Lights. Lots of folks get excited about Victoria, but we live in Seattle and go quite often. Sitka was great too, went with a local dude to the Bear thing (sorta stupid) but the Raptor Center was fantastic.

Overall, wonderful cruise.

If you're taking a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Alaska or vice versa, then I recommend more than a couple of days for the land portion. Our last cruise there included five nights beforehand on a Princess cruise tour that started in Fairbanks. It was great.

I have to add my advice - we went on the Diamond PRINCESS for 11 day land-cruise tour. They own most of the lodges in Alaska for tourists and have most of the train cars reserved for them. I would highly recommend booking with Princess and doing the 4 day land tour first, landing in Anchorage and traveling up to Denali for the park tour, then taking the train down to Seward to board the ship. Also recommend the excursion in Ketchican for a seaplane trip to either Misty Fjords or a small island that has many black bears to watch safely with a guide.

Just a little correction: On Princess, you would be taking the train to Whittier and boarding your Princess ship there. HAL sails from Seward. EM

Not sure what your budget is, but if you can swing it, a Neptune Suite for 3 would be nice. Roomy, big balcony and lots of perks. We did that on the Zaandam a few years ago, my mother, sister and I. Loved it.

We have considered a suite, but we generally don't cruise in the same cabin. Is there adequate privacy and what are some of the extra perks you get with HAL on booking suites?

Just returned from an Alaska cruise (inside Passage) and brought along our adult daughter. At the time of booking had no thought of inviting her, but ran across a 3&4 person free deal. We were in a Neptune Suite and couldn’t of been more pleased with the room we had, absolutely no issues. It’s nice there is a dressing area off the bathroom that has a curtain for more privacy.

Highlights for us was Hubbard Glacier and seeing the Northern Lights. Lots of folks get excited about Victoria, but we live in Seattle and go quite often. Sitka was great too, went with a local dude to the Bear thing (sorta stupid) but the Raptor Center was fantastic.

Overall, wonderful cruise.

We are considering a suite for the three of us, even though my SIL usually cruises solo in her own stateroom. Privacy was my general concern. And Yes, I know the ladies are definitely interested in going to glacier bay, so I know this will narrow our itinerary choices.

Thanks!

HAL and Princess get top marks because they offer the most sailings into Glacier Bay. Blue ice seekers generally feel Glacier Bay offers the best experience.

I know the ladies are definitely interested in going to glacier bay and they are pretty much set on going on HAL. I'm open to either.

Thanks!

I agree with your DW and SIL about cruising on HAL - they've been sailing to Alaska for 70 years and seems to have gotten it down pretty good

Up until our HAL cruise three weeks ago, we only sailed Carnival but their limited Alaska sailings and not including Glacier Bay made it easy for us to chose HAL.

For us, the Eurodam was a lot more conservative than all the Carnival cruises we had been on - in décor, activities and passengers, although sailing when most schools are in session may have contributed more towards that last part. We felt that the food was a little better on Carnival but Tamarind was outstanding and put many land restaurants to shame! Service was spot on.

Main thing to keep in mind is that sailing to Alaska is all about Alaska - the ship is secondary at best.

Yes, I need to remember that this won't be a CCL ship, but your advice is well taken...it should be about Alaska and not the ship. I'm hopeful there will be many things I like about HAL as well though.

Thanks!

Don't discount HAL's 14-day Seattle round trip itinerary. You give up the inland portion of a cruisetour in favor of more Alaska port calls.

We also had our first ocean view cabin on the Alaska cruise and really didn't miss the balcony. The weather won't be such that you'd spend much time sunning on the balcony anyway.

I was looking at that very itinerary. I really want more Alaska port calls. I'd be ok with a ocean view, I just don't know if I can convince the ladies of it.

Thanks!

I would imagine you’ve researched itineraries on the HAL site?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, just starting my research and have already contacted a PCC at HAL. Just thought I'd get some input from some of you that have cruised there already.

Thanks!

Why is better to do the land portion first? It seems like it wouldn't really matter, but I am curious since I am looking one of the land-cruise tours for 2019.

Why is better to do the land portion first? It seems like it wouldn't really matter, but I am curious since I am looking one of the land-cruise tours for 2019.

Because the land portion is exhausting! Up with the dawn (do you know how early dawn comes in the summer in Alaska?), long days on a bus, late arrivals at the next hotel. Then the next day, repeat. True, there's a lot to see & do, and it's all worthwhile---but when you're done and board the ship, you need the rest.

Because the land portion is exhausting! Up with the dawn (do you know how early dawn comes in the summer in Alaska?), long days on a bus, late arrivals at the next hotel. Then the next day, repeat. True, there's a lot to see & do, and it's all worthwhile---but when you're done and board the ship, you need the rest.

Thank you, Ruth. That's a really good point.