It's been a couple years since we sailed Princess, has the coffee improved?

fishin' musician

Just got off the Ruby on Saturday. I was expecting the dining room "syrup" coffee to be worse than what I found, based on what I read, but IMO, it tasted better than the watery IC brewed coffee. The specialty coffee at the IC was hit or miss for us, depending on the item.

Coffee flavor is very subjective. One person’s “Yum” is another’s “Yuck!” Some people put cream, milk and/or sugar in their coffee, others drink it black. Hard to identify flavor quality when there are so many variables.

That said, I’ve never had a problem with the free Princess coffee. I drink it black without cream or sugar.

Only time I have had fairly decent coffee on Princess was on the Regal, otherwise they have the worst coffee on the high seas! IMHO

Worst on the high seas has been my experience on the prior 20 or so Princess sailings. We've done a couple HAL and they have machines that grind the beans then brew the coffee and it is pretty good. We've recently done a couple of Windstar cruises and their coffee is excellent. I only drink it black and my wife has only ever added cream to the Princess swill.

Improved, that is up to you to determine. Tastes vary widely.

Just about all ships: The brewed coffee at the espresso bar is normal drip coffee. There is a charge or you can get unlimited brewed coffee if you purchase the coffee card with 15 punches for espresso drinks. Room service, buffet and DR coffee is prepared from a liquid coffee concentrate.

Royal, Regal and I suspect the Majestic: These ships have equipment that prepares coffee from grounds. The equipment is in the DR, room service and the buffet.

Juan Valdez is still mourning the death of his burro/donkey/mule/a**. It was death by Princess Buffet Coffee, truly tragic. BTW: Her name was Conchita.:evilsmile:

I can’t stop laughing :D. This one is truly one of your good ones. :D:D. RIP Conchita.

Tony

OK' date=' I will be more specific; is the included (it surely ain't free!) coffee in the buffet still the liquid concentrate / airline variety?

Thank you[/quote']

yes, it is.

I don't like coffee but I drink it every day for caffeine and warmth - I am very particular about the quantity of cream, bitterness of the coffee and the sweeteners that go into it before I can call it palatable. It pretty much gets to the hot Frappuccino state before I can drink it.

The only coffee I find acceptable (and not freaking bitter like Starbucks) is McDonald's coffee and Panera Bread's hazelnut blend. I found Horizon's coffee pretty bad. My husband, on the other hand, who doesn't drink coffee at all, found Horizon coffee to be ok and drank it a couple of times. He is a tea and soda guy.