Locking Bags

BaBa2

I am seeing a lot of ads regarding the KYSS Bags and other brands to lock up your personal items while at the pool or even on the various beaches. My question is this; Have you had a problem with items such as credit cards, money, phones or cameras taken from your "beach bags"? I really don't want to purchase yet another travel bag just for security purposes, but don't want to lose photos of my trip that will be on the camera either. If you do use the bags, which brand do you prefer? I know I can use a "waterproof" pouch for the phone, but seriously, who wants to have that hanging on your neck all day? TIA

All I take off the ship is some cash, a credit card, and ID. We have a small waterproof case one of us wears around their neck to keep these items on us. We leave our beach bags with towels, clothes, sandals, etc unattended without issue. We also have a waterproof camera. So if everyone is planning on getting in the water at once, I leave cell phones on the ship and take the waterproof camera and keep it on my person. If not everyone will be in the water at once we will take phones.

I would never leave a camera, phone, credit card, cash, or ID unattended. Whether you are on a public beach, private beach, excursion, or even on the boat - when opportunity presents, some people will steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am seeing a lot of ads regarding the KYSS Bags and other brands to lock up your personal items while at the pool or even on the various beaches. My question is this; Have you had a problem with items such as credit cards, money, phones or cameras taken from your "beach bags"? I really don't want to purchase yet another travel bag just for security purposes, but don't want to lose photos of my trip that will be on the camera either. If you do use the bags, which brand do you prefer? I know I can use a "waterproof" pouch for the phone, but seriously, who wants to have that hanging on your neck all day? TIA

I'd never heard of KYSS, so I looked them up.......but why would you want to camp out next to a fence post where you've locked your bag, and I'm not so sure it's really as safe as they say. Rule of thumb is never leave your stuff unattended unless it's stuff you're willing to lose.

I have two different size KYSS bags and I love them. I always take a tablet or e-reader on the beach so I need something bigger than those little neck pouches that are used for money/credit cards. We put the chain around our beach chair. I can't stay in the sun too long so we never go to beaches if chairs are not available.

I hadn't seen that before. I wouldn't trust it for anything like a wallet, identification, credit cards. Also not for an electronic device that had personal data in it or had passwords saved for email and other sites - not even if the device was locked. We've had bikes stolen with much more impressive chains than that. It will protect from a casual thief who just goes to the next easier target but not from someone prepared with a decent tool. I could see using it for protecting a tablet, kindle or camera - something where I'd be willing to afford the loss. I don't let my tablets save passwords or keep personal data on them.

Don’t really see the point.

It’s just as easy and secure to hook your regular bag strap around a chair or pole, and put a lock on the zipper if you want to. Hook your strap around the umbrella pole, and shove the bag up above the “arms” is way more work than a thief is going to go through.

I’ve seen bags stolen on the beach in Rio, they grab the bag discretely and go, they don’t spend time rifling through it drawing suspicions from others.

I have two different size KYSS bags and I love them. I always take a tablet or e-reader on the beach so I need something bigger than those little neck pouches that are used for money/credit cards. We put the chain around our beach chair. I can't stay in the sun too long so we never go to beaches if chairs are not available.

Couldn't someone just move the chair?

Couldn't someone just move the chair?

You would put it through an attached part of the chair so it couldn't be removed easily from the chair. Yes, you could pick the chair up and move it but most thieves trying to be discreet won't. As someone else said, this type of bag will only discourage someone looking for minimal effort. A knife to cut the strap would also get it off easily enough.

You would put it through an attached part of the chair so it couldn't be removed easily from the chair. Yes, you could pick the chair up and move it but most thieves trying to be discreet won't. As someone else said, this type of bag will only discourage someone looking for minimal effort. A knife to cut the strap would also get it off easily enough.

The Pacsafe bags have a cut resistance feature in them. I have looked at both, but still haven't bought one. Not sure if I ever will.

I always thought the Pacsafe bags would be a good idea in a country or city where cutting the straps is a big thing. Not really sure if there is much of that anymore.

https://www.pacsafe.com/default/Explore-Technology

Edited by ReneeFLL

Are you kidding... do not leave valuables un attended.

The Pacsafe bags have a cut resistance feature in them. I have looked at both, but still haven't bought one. Not sure if I ever will.

I always thought the Pacsafe bags would be a good idea in a country or city where cutting the straps is a big thing. Not really sure if there is much of that anymore.

https://www.pacsafe.com/default/Explore-Technology

I think from the standpoint of a carrying bag, it's more likely to be effective. I actually have a bag like that that I use in Europe. Someone planning on cutting the strap and running is really limited to a knife/razor blade since speed is vital; so anything 'wire' lined should be better.

But anything you plan on leaving somewhere; a pretty minimal cutter that's much easier to carry and use discreetly. I don't think anything less than a heavy duty bike chain would be very safe. If anything you are identifying that your bag contains valuables.