Ever Been Turned Away From A Restaurant on an NCL ship...!

Yo Adrienne

Apparently, despite the "freestyle" cruising atmosphere of NCL, some restaurants on board still have a dress code that requires a "collared" shirt for men. Have you even shown up for a reservation at a restaurant and been denied access because you (or your spouse/partner) were wearing a sweater/turtle neck...and not a "collared" shirt...? If this has happened to you, please elaborate...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, had a member of our party of 6 who was not wearing the appropriate clothing when we went to Le Bistro on Getaway and he was turned away. He went back to change and was admitted.
fet.

I think that's Great! Some people just don't know how to act and dress properly. This is a Specialty Restaurant not the buffet!. Many years ago I was staying at the Sheraton Towers in Singapore. Every room

has a Butler and I went to breakfast with a nice pair of leather sandals. They told me to return to my room and wear shoes and socks before they would seat me. I agreed with them 100%!

I have never been turned away from an NCL MDR for wearing shorts but we only ever eat in the less "formal" of the two dining rooms on the smaller ships, the one midships, not in the more "formal" one aft.

Nor at the Specialty Restaurants though I do wear longs to le Bistro.

Apparently, despite the "freestyle" cruising atmosphere of NCL, some restaurants on board still have a dress code that requires a "collared" shirt for men. Have you even shown up for a reservation at a restaurant and been denied access because you (or your spouse/partner) were wearing a sweater/turtle neck...and not a "collared" shirt...? If this has happened to you, please elaborate...

We haven't because we have always f

We haven't because we have never tried to go to a restaurant in anything that was not appropriate but we have seen people turned down. they have returned to their cabin, dressed accordingly and returned.

We didn't go Le Bistro but visited all the other restaurants on board. One member of our party only wore tshirts (ugly tiedyed tshirts), shorts and sandals and was never turned away at any of the restaurants. This was on the BA this past July. Have to say I was surprised that Moderno, Cagney and Manhattan didn't even bat a eye at his dress because even I was embarrassed.

fet.

I think that's Great! Some people just don't know how to act and dress properly. This is a Specialty Restaurant not the buffet!. Many years ago I was staying at the Sheraton Towers in Singapore. Every room

has a Butler and I went to breakfast with a nice pair of leather sandals. They told me to return to my room and wear shoes and socks before they would seat me. I agreed with them 100%!

It's funny but I live in Utah and my DW and I talk about this all the time when we go eat at a nicer steak house or fancy restaurant. It's AMAZING how many people think it's okay to wear a t-shirt, hat, jeans...etc. It's almost like it's become so normal that it happens A LOT. AND, they get let in.

fet.

Really? If you agreed with them 100%, why didn't you just reprimand yourself and change out of those nice leather sandals before you left the room?;)

DH was wearing a turtleneck and a nice sweater (this IS Alaska)...and they balked...! Epic fail on NCL's part...the concierge and butler stepped in to save the day...!

Probably an employee who was trying to follow the NCL dress code to the letter. Glad common sense prevailed. I'm sure that turtleneck and sweater looked far dressier than a polo shirt with collar. And I've seen a few men wearing a collarless dressy tee under a dress jacket or blazer admitted with no problem.

Women can wear pants of any length, and you could probably even get away with dress "shorts" which fall below the knee. I've seen skirts which are far shorter. And of course, women can show their toes, unlike the men.

Probably an employee who was trying to follow the NCL dress code to the letter. Glad common sense prevailed. I'm sure that turtleneck and sweater looked far dressier than a polo shirt with collar. And I've seen a few men wearing a collarless dressy tee under a dress jacket or blazer admitted with no problem.

Women can wear pants of any length, and you could probably even get away with dress "shorts" which fall below the knee. I've seen skirts which are far shorter. And of course, women can show their toes, unlike the men.

I agree. Turning someone away with a turtleneck and sweater is a bit extreme. That overzealous employee probably would turn away a member of the clergy wearing a clerical collar.

I am pretty sure there is a section on NCL site that states what the dress codes are for each restaurant. As I recall shorts are OK in all restaurants except LeBistro and one of the main dining rooms like the Manhatten. It sounds pretty simple to me. I dress according to the company rules...not what others would like to see. That said....I simply don't notice what others have on. It's their business and has nothing at all to do with my enjoyment of a meal.

There is a standard in La Bistro and Venetian, involves no shorts or t shirts. I have seen those people rejected. But your sweater/turtle neck example is acceptable.