Guaranteed Cabins. What did you get? Would you do it again?

Stockjock

Thought I'd start a thread that may or may not pick up steam. If not, oh well.

So...have you done a GUAR cabin?

What did you book and what did you get?

Were you happy with the cabin that was assigned?

Would you do it again?

How long did it take to get assigned?

Any other thoughts or suggestions on guaranteed cabins?

• So...have you done a GUAR cabin?
    • Yes

[*]What did you book and what did you get?

• W, JS

[*]Were you happy with the cabin that was assigned?

• Yes

[*]Would you do it again?

• Yes - If the price is heavily discounted and we do not have specific location preference (which was the reason we booked previously). Sometimes, certain categories are only at specific locations which makes worrying about location irrelevant.

[*]How long did it take to get assigned?

• Within a few weeks of booking. The cruises were about a year out when originally booked.

[*]Any other thoughts or suggestions on guaranteed cabins?

• It's a crap shoot, but it's always worked out for us. In one instance we were put in an accessible JS which was basically as big as a GS. This happens when the accessible cabins haven't been booked and they open up to the general public closer to the cruise date.

Several times, Last guar was on Anthem and we booked last minute bal. Got an obstructed view cabin, but if you stood up you saw everything, If you sat, you saw the lifeboats and prom deck 5 below to people watch. We got our assignment next day and yes, we'd do it again. Just can't be picky.

Booked a "W" three times, got two JS assignments and one GS.assignment. We were happy with the assignments and would do it again if the price was right and circumstances allowed.. Don't recall how long it took.

Yes a few times.

Balcony/Balcony

Yes

Would you do it again?

No,

From a few days to at the dock.

Location has, for a few reasons, become crucial to us. So now I spend hours choosing my cabin

Yes. We did a "Suite Guarantee" on our Anthem sailing coming up Nov 11th 2017.

Originally booked Anthem D1 (9248 with an abnormally huge balcony)

Paid to upgrade to a W GTY due to a price drop and free gratuities promotion.

Got assigned to an Accessible Spa Junior Suite.

Yes. (But...)

We are really grateful for receiving the "best" of the Junior Suites.

But, the only reason we called to inquire about upgrading to a W- GTY is because we discovered there were new bookings being permitted (after final payments) for balconies at half price of what we paid. We actually would have rather gotten half our money back than upgrading to a W- GTY. However, to make lemons into lemonade, and since a deluxe cabin was also being heavily discounted to be within our reach for the first time, AND we're celebrating our 10th Anniversary, we paid to upgrade to the W- GTY.

When we did the "Suite Guarantee", there was definitely a tiny part of us hoping the "gamble" would result in getting full suite perks with a GS or above (particularly appreciating the free internet and breakfast in Coastal Kitchen). I understood the chances were extremely slim, but it's hard not todream of climbing the stairs in a sky loft suite while waiting for that cabin assignment to appear, no?

Would you do it again?

If the price were right again, sure.

2 days after we upgraded from a D1 to a W-GTY, the cabin assignment appeared. (Note: the Guarantee category description online was incorrect while waiting for the cabin assignment. Others have reported this too.)

We would only book a W-GTY, not an inside, oceanview, or balcony guarantee unless enormously discounted. There's too much variability in location and quality of X, Y, and Z cabins, and to book a guarantee, you must be absolutely ok with the lowest category you could be assigned anywhere on the ship.

We'd also be much more likely to book a W-GTY again if breakfast in Coastal Kitchen and VOOM service were included as Junior Suite perks.

Edited by matthewthompson87
Formatting

I'll reply to my own thread:

Recently did a Cat. W, which guaranteed Spa Jr. Suite or better.

Got a Family Jr. Suite, which is a 2 level upgrade.

Seems like a good cabin in a good location, so yes.

Would you do it again?

Depends on pricing and what was available. This was offered at a slight discount to the Spa Jr. Suite, so I figured my risk was limited.

About a month, but I'm still the better part of a year from sailing.

I'd probably be less inclined to do it in non-suite cabins, due to the greater variability of location, unless there was very large price differential.

Have booked the guarantee option a few times.

Always got assigned to the cabin class we took the guarantee on except one occasion when our daughter was assigned a junior suite having been upgraded from an inside guarantee.

We have always been happy with our assigned cabin and generally it has taken about two or three days to receive an email with the stateroom number.

Once we have received confirmation the next day.

Would have no hesitation in booking them again if the price was right.

Have done guaranty several times.

Will do it again if the price savings is significant. We are not picky about location - and usually agree that wherever we are has positive points

Most times we have received confirmation of stateroom within a few weeks.

We book Jr. Suite Guarantee (Cat W) cabins when the option exists and the price is much less when compared to picking a specific stateroom. We have had a stateroom assigned in as little time as 3 hours. On average, it has been about 7 days.

Yes

Inside, received superior balcony deck 12, upcoming

Anthem of the seas in Oct.

Yes

Would you do it again?

Yes and have

Approx. a week.

Have also had the same result for another up coming cruise.

Yes, ones

We booked two w guarantee for our upcoming cruise with Harmony. We get one junior suite and one grand suite on deck 10.

Yes, we were very happy, the two cabin was at the same deck and in the same part of the ship.

Would you do it again?

Yes, definitely

It took about 2 weeks, and it was about 2 months before the embarkation

Booked guarantee twice

Nov 2006- received our assignment upon check in. Don't remember the room number but it was deck 7, all the way in the front of the ship interior. Not a hallway room, it was a closet at the end of the hall. Smaller than a normal interior.

Oasis 2017-

Booked a neighborhood guarantee on a Saturday and assigned on Monday. We received room 10699 and per CCers tip, called and changed it to 12329 at no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes

Outside cabin - I got an outside cabin that was ok.

Spa Jr Suite - I got the Owners Suite. I never will expect this to happen ever again, but if JS or SJS is available, I will try again.

First one, I was indifferent, it was a short cruise, and did not care.

Second time, who in their right mind would be dissatisfied with the Owners Suite?

Would you do it again?

I would do it again if the price was good.

First time, within days. Second time, 6 months of waiting, and received it one week before.

It's a gamble, and most likely you will be happy. In some cases more happy than others.

I've only cruised once, and have one coming in November, but both have been GTY cabins

Last November with Princess. Booked GTY interior, got an interior mid-ship.

Our upcoming with RCCL, we first booked a GTY interior, and assigned an interior on deck 8.

With the price drop, our TA was (eventually) able to get us a GTY Balcony at the same rate. We were assigned a D7 on Anthem, deck 10.

My first cruise, I was just happy to be on the ship, so yes.

My upcoming cruise, yes again, very happy to be on deck 8. I was hoping not to get an obstructed view, but would have still been happy with a balcony, and getting to experience it for the first time.

Would you do it again?

Absolutely. For us, the cost savings is worth it, as we're happy as long as we're on the ship!

Less than a week.

Someone (I don't remember who) mentioned that on the RCCL site, before my cabin was assigned it showed up as the wrong room type (Accessible ocean view instead of balcony). It worked out in the end, but I'm glad to know it's a regular occurrence for next time.

We'd also be much more likely to book a W-GTY again if breakfast in Coastal Kitchen and VOOM service were included as Junior Suite perks.

I was under the impression that although Voom is not included, dining in CK is available to JS guests.

I booked a Q interior. Price halved so changed it on the Saturday before full payment to Neighbourhood GTY. Paid in full on Monday and was assigned the room the next day in 12293.

Don't know what it's like yet as I haven't travelled but it's saved me £60 for my soda package as it's free.

Will need to see if this is ok before I would do a GTY again and the price was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/b]

I was under the impression that although Voom is not included, dining in CK is available to JS guests.

Dining is available in Coastal Kitchen for Junior Suite guests at dinner only.

We would find considerable value in having access for breakfast now that Royal has instituted room service charges for hot breakfast items.

Yes!

Oasis of the Seas Interior GTY, assigned a Cat L Large Interior on Deck 8 forward.

Navigator of the Seas Interior GTY, assigned an interior room at the front of the ship on deck 3.

Liberty of the Seas Interior GTY, assigned a deck 6 Promenade room.

Oasis- Being forward didnt bother me. We had no major movement/rocking. It was next to crew stairs. It was fine until the last night when it sounded like the crew was throwing everyone's suitcases down those stairs all night long!!! :o

Navigator- No problems, we were happy.

Liberty- Loved the Promenade room! We had no noise issues at night.

Would you do it again?

Depends. Now I think I'd only do it for a "better" category. So a W gty is what I would like to aim for from now on. I tend to book the room I want now. With kids I want easy access to my room!

Within 24 hours each time.

[/b]

You are correct, though it's probably better to say "dinner" in CK is available to JS guests to avoid someone getting the wrong impression.

If I am booking balcony or lower category then it is usually a guarantee as I am looking for the cheapest price. I am not too bothered about the location. I didn't know I could ask to switch after allocation, would try that in the future if I am not happy.

I have never booked W category as it is essentially a JS guarantee with the possibility of an upgrade. I prefer to either book a balcony or a suite depending on the price / budget and not take a gamble on W category for something in between.

So...have you done a GUAR cabin? Yes

X---received D1

W--received FJS

X---waiting for room assignment

Were you happy with the cabin that was assigned? Yes

Would you do it again? Yes, only if we book after final payment.

As soon as I got off the phone with Royal, I checked my cruises and was assigned a D1. Don't recall how long we waited for the FJS. And booked a week ago Cat X, still waiting for room assignment.

All guarantees were booked 30-45 days before the sail dates.