Toiletry Bag

TerryLev

Hi Cruisers:

I am going on my very first in February and am curious ...

What your go to toiletry bag is? Do you carry full size products, or go trial size? Do you opt for the hanging style? Do you check it with your luggage?

Help please and thank you! :D

That toiletry hanging bag that so many cruisers list as a must is one of many 'must' items that we do NOT take.

23 cruises, most lasting more than two weeks, and we've never needed it.

We use small sizes purchased from minimus.biz

Right now I'm testing travel deodorant to see how many uses I get and I plan to do the same with toothpaste to see if it's viable to take small sizes of those also...

I'd love to hear the brand and how many uses. I keep meaning to track the number of uses for the Secret Invisible Gel travel size, but never do. I always take extra because it seems so small.

I'd love to hear the brand and how many uses. I keep meaning to track the number of uses for the Secret Invisible Gel travel size, but never do. I always take extra because it seems so small.

Right now I am on use 9 of this .5oz Secret deodorant and there are plenty uses left. I will try to remember to update you once I run out. I don't even really use Secret but when I was trying to find that link I found this 1.7 oz size of the same formula so I guess if I don't get enough uses out of this small one I'll get the 1.7 oz one. I'm trying to do one backpack/carry on only for my next trip (14 night with a few days in Germany before) so every little bit of spaced saved helps I think.

One thing that annoys me about this tiny .5 oz container is how much wasted space there is there in the cap. You could EASILY get double the uses if they expanded the main container up and made the cap more close fitting, like the photo in this post of a repurposed .45 oz Body Glide container. I know if that BG container was expanded to the size of that deodorant you could fit much more than .05 oz extra product in there.

@57redbird

That particular one was a random screen grab, it turned out from a small company that does personalization (no price, just an inquiry form at designsbyprintscharming.com). Mine probably came from Ross and is old enough that its fabric is Laura Ashley-esque floral! I used to use it for craft organization but repurposed when we started to go on longer cruises.

If you search eBay for "roll up hanging (toiletry,cosmetic) bag" you'll get lots of hits like this one that is nicely all clear, but an inch or two less wide than I think mine is at 9.5".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toiletry-Bags-Organizer-Hanging-Travel-Zip-Pocket-Pouch-Polyester-Linen-Cosmetic-/253152744729?hash=item3af1145519:g:p-kAAOSw4~VZiJDX

A similar search on Amazon found this one in multiple prints including ANCHORS!

https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Cosmetic-Travel-Bag-Paisley/dp/B00XXDGFU0/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1506564382&sr=8-32&keywords=roll%2Bup%2Bhanging%2Btoiletry%2Bbag&th=1

Its bigger pocket isn't clear, but it is 11" wide.

@57redbird

That particular one was a random screen grab, it turned out from a small company that does personalization (no price, just an inquiry form at designsbyprintscharming.com). Mine probably came from Ross and is old enough that its fabric is Laura Ashley-esque floral! I used to use it for craft organization but repurposed when we started to go on longer cruises.

If you search eBay for "roll up hanging (toiletry,cosmetic) bag" you'll get lots of hits like this one that is nicely all clear, but an inch or two less wide than I think mine is at 9.5".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toiletry-Bags-Organizer-Hanging-Travel-Zip-Pocket-Pouch-Polyester-Linen-Cosmetic-/253152744729?hash=item3af1145519:g:p-kAAOSw4~VZiJDX

A similar search on Amazon found this one in multiple prints including ANCHORS!

https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Cosmetic-Travel-Bag-Paisley/dp/B00XXDGFU0/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1506564382&sr=8-32&keywords=roll%2Bup%2Bhanging%2Btoiletry%2Bbag&th=1

Its bigger pocket isn't clear, but it is 11" wide.

Thanks! I checked out eBay yesterday but not Amazon.:)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got 18 uses out of the deodorant. I've since ordered a empty 15g deodorant container from eBay. I'm hoping it allows me to melt down two of the .5oz deodorants (not likely as 15g = .5oz, but I'm open to giving the theory of physics the old college try) which will be theoretically 36 uses and sufficient for my 14 night cruise with plenty to spare for travel before/after and days where I use deodorant twice.

Next I plan to test the tiny travel toothpaste and 3oz of body wash. This is pretty fun since I have hundreds of days until I depart.

I always keep my toiletries in my carryon on and am careful all liquids are TSA approved size. I won't put the rtoiletries in my checked suitcase. If the suitcase is lost, I would not have the baisic things I need daily. I pack some larger size extra supply in the suitcase but I keedp my valuables and basic toilet articles with me..

But for TSA you can only have what will fit in a quart sized bag and it has to be easily accessible - unless you have TSA pre-check. Even then you still need to comply in case you get randomly picked for the regular security check.

I keep the stuff I need most in the quart size bag, and pack my toiletries bag in checked luggage. I reunite them at my destination.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For op, since you are not flying when you check your luggage, it's with the cruise line and not the airline. You should be okay with checking your toiletries in your checked luggage. That way you don't have to lug it around with you.

I am more of a minimalist, so I nearly always travel with smaller sized toiletry items whether driving, flying or taking a train. I just don't like lugging a lot of stuff!

Some things come in travel sizes, which is nice. Other things I just decant myself.

This is pretty much what I do. If we’re going on a trip longer than 8 days, I may take 2 of something like shampoo or I will investigate what might be offered at my destination hotel or ship. Viking, for instance, has a lovely proprietary brand, so when we sail with them, I can leave a lot at home.

I have the middle size hanging travel bag from LL Bean and it holds everything I need. It goes in my checked luggage. I do take larger size sunscreen, and a few other things, packed in a zippered vinyl bag that came with my luggage. I usually line it with a ziplock bag as a precaution - belt and suspenders [emoji12]

I pull out more expensive things like face cream and makeup for my 3-1-1 bag if we’re flying. Those go into an easily accessible spot in my carry on, even though we do have TSA pre-check.

My absolute favourite (after trying many) is the hanging bag from LL Bean. In fact, I liked my medium sized one so much, I bought a smaller size too for shorter trips. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=507361-GN3&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium&csp=f

I pack it, and only carry the bare minimum on board (my contact lens stuff and some toothpaste). Whether I take full sizes or not depends on how large those are and how long I'll be gone. Usually most of my stuff is regular (full size) except for shampoo, conditioner, and facial scrub.

LOL! Aren’t they wonderful! I have also thought about getting the smaller one as well. I hang it up and I’m done. Nothing sitting around on the counter or tiny shelves. I love the part that comes out for the shower!

I use smaller sizes when possible; about the only full size product I use is sunscreen, which we often buy in our embarkation city. I put as many products as possible in my quart bag and the rest in a hanging type holder. I've found that most of the 3 oz or smaller sizes last about two weeks.

Absolute essentials that I don't want to have to replace in case of a lost bag are in the quart bag. Sometimes some go in my husband's bag because he doesn't fill his up!

I used to use the cruise line shampoo and conditioner, but some (Pincess!) have gone to such awful in-shower products that I can't use them.

Mine is a medium size and I use it for much more than toiletries, since most products are smaller size. I can usually also get misc. things like hair ties, our emergency med kit, manicure stuff, small sewing kit, make-up, supplies for hand-washing, etc.

I manage to keep all the small stuff together that way. I do unpack things used daily and don't hang the bag, but store the bag with the 'what if' supplies in a closet or shelf. I also bring multiple zip-lock bags for various uses.

If you have any problems finding travel sizes of the product you like, check this website:

https://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

They have over 2500 different travel size products, from health/beauty items to packaged snack items. Free shipping if you order over $20 in products.

Wow, that is such a cool website! I love the little jams and salad dressings too.

I find travel size to be annoyingly small. Too few uses for a longer trip.

I carry some products in "full" size, but the smallest size. And some products have a mid size, larger than travel, but smaller than "full."

For toothpaste, I carry a full sized tube, but partially empty. And if it is too low, I can "refill" it easily (put the full and almost empty spout to pout and squeeze the full one).

But I check my luggage. I normally (not cruising) check two bags, so I cross pack, and I have a secondary set of toiletries/personal care items. I also carry a toothbrush with travel (or airline) size toothpaste, a comb, and one of the razor kits you get from hotels. So I can survive for a couple of says without my bags.

Only a couple of times in a LOT of traveling, I have only had both bags not show up for more than 24 hours a couple of times.