Concerned about our Honeymoon on the Escape

mreitz775@gmail.com

Letting them switch weeks would be a good start. I understand they are past final payment but if they already booked that part, the line should be flexible to accommodate the guest. In reality, they are still getting paid $8000+ and he's even willing to pay to upgrade. I honestly don't see the issue with doing something for the guest in this instance.

If they allow this particular guest to "switch weeks" because the Spa is down, what's to stop another guest from wanting to switch weeks because "...the forecast shows that it will rain that week..."?

Pandora's Box...

If they allow this particular guest to "switch weeks" because the Spa is down, what's to stop another guest from wanting to switch weeks because "...the forecast shows that it will rain that week..."?

Pandora's Box...

While I understand what you're saying, I think that the difference is that "nice weather" is not advertised as an amenity of the ship while they are trying to get you to pay for a cruise. It's something you hope for, but cannot reasonably expect NCL to take any responsibility for.

I can, and do, have an expectation that NCL at least try to appear empathetic to how closing down an amenity that they used to entice me into booking this cruise affects me.

Look, I get it. They are a business. It's a business decision. I harbor no delusions that some executive from NCL is going to see this thread, harkon back to his/her honeymoon, get a little teary eyed, and reach out to pull aside the iron curtain of profit margins to make me and my fiance feel like we matter to the corporate folks.

I am just downright bummed. Truth be told we loved our cruise last year but wouldve absolutely spent this 8k+ on a resort somewhere for our honeymoon if we even had an inkling that the spa could be closed. The possibility never even entered my mind. Maybe it's my bad for not considering this possibility but that doesn't make my opinion of NCL's part in it any different.

We cruised with NCL last year in the haven, and we will in October since we already paid. Beyond that I will not give them anymore of my money.

Letting them switch weeks would be a good start. I understand they are past final payment but if they already booked that part, the line should be flexible to accommodate the guest. In reality, they are still getting paid $8000+ and he's even willing to pay to upgrade. I honestly don't see the issue with doing something for the guest in this instance.

Mainly because “this instance” then becomes the example for everyone else that has an issue - and in this case, a lot of people have the same issue. To the right person, a honeymoon is just as important as “I have a hangnail.” To others, letting a honeymoon couple switch, but not letting them switch would be segregation! Prejudice! Unfair!

And they’re right.

A honeymoon is a special occasion, but so are anniversaries, first cruises, “we finally saved enough to get a spa suite” and any number of other reasons. Picking one and not all of them puts you in a bad position.

I think it’s very unfortunate, and if I were in customer service, I would just reschedule them (assuming I could), but it’s a slippery slope, especially when it is something that many people on the same cruise will be unhappy about.

You also have to remember that just as people come here to complain, others come here to crow that “They moved us.” So, being nice to one couple on the sly is very dangerous because it doesn’t stay secret.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm on the same cruise. I'm also in the Haven and booked a spa room with the thought that the majority of my days would be spent in the spa. When you spend that kind of money you have every right to be upset that NCL is no longer able to fulfill what has been advertised to you and barely offers you an "oops sorry".

While I understand what you're saying, I think that the difference is that "nice weather" is not advertised as an amenity of the ship while they are trying to get you to pay for a cruise. It's something you hope for, but cannot reasonably expect NCL to take any responsibility for.

But if a part fails or similar, NCL's only choice is to fix it. If the repair (which most believe that it is) can't be done in a matter of hours, guests won't be able to use the Spa.

Yes, it sucks but no company can guarantee that parts won't fail/need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In this industry, letting passengers switch weeks is extremely rare. Plus, do they know for certain the thermal spa will be up and running the following week? How about the other passengers who want to switch their weeks?

In this industry, letting passengers switch weeks is extremely rare. Plus, do they know for certain the thermal spa will be up and running the following week? How about the other passengers who want to switch their weeks?

There is this guy named Murphy. If they allowed this couple to switch because of the Spa issue, I am sure Murphy would find a way to change the "down week" to one week later.

Look at the good side of it. The pool will be a lot more crowded with the spa out of service.

Dont get mad. I am just as pissed as you. I started the other thread about this.

NCL screwed the pooch on this one. Its one thing to take away the spa from us. Its another thing to be so arrogant that they keep right on selling passes and dont care that those people will be disappointed and angry once they board. And if you already bought a pass? Who cares. We need to keep the money as long as possible so screw our customers.

I will never spend another dime with NCL after this cruise. Not because the spa was closed. Because of the way I have been treated when I have done most of the work for them in letting other passengers know. It is really bad folks. Customer service is non existent with this issue.

Look at the good side of it. The pool will be a lot more crowded with the spa out of service.

Dont get mad. I am just as pissed as you. I started the other thread about this.

NCL screwed the pooch on this one. Its one thing to take away the spa from us. Its another thing to be so arrogant that they keep right on selling passes and dont care that those people will be disappointed and angry once they board. And if you already bought a pass? Who cares. We need to keep the money as long as possible so screw our customers.

I will never spend another dime with NCL after this cruise. Not because the spa was closed. Because of the way I have been treated when I have done most of the work for them in letting other passengers know. It is really bad folks. Customer service is non existent with this issue.

I think more people would be sympathic to your issues, if you didn't post things like: I hate to think if a real emergency occurred at sea ifthey cant even handle something like this and

Correct, I better watch for fried rat on the buffet! I think people understand you are mad (you are more than angry) and you want to get back at NCL for the way you feel you were treated, but sometimes one takes it a little too far.

I can, and do, have an expectation that NCL at least try to appear empathetic to how closing down an amenity that they used to entice me into booking this cruise affects me.

Look, I get it. They are a business. It's a business decision. I harbor no delusions that some executive from NCL is going to see this thread, harkon back to his/her honeymoon, get a little teary eyed, and reach out to pull aside the iron curtain of profit margins to make me and my fiance feel like we matter to the corporate folks.

I am just downright bummed. Truth be told we loved our cruise last year but wouldve absolutely spent this 8k+ on a resort somewhere for our honeymoon if we even had an inkling that the spa could be closed. The possibility never even entered my mind. Maybe it's my bad for not considering this possibility but that doesn't make my opinion of NCL's part in it any different.

We cruised with NCL last year in the haven, and we will in October since we already paid. Beyond that I will not give them anymore of my money.

Um. Maybe if Kevin Sheehan was still at the helm. I absolutely know of situations where he was 1. Accessible and 2. Responsive. But FDR? Nope.

I feel so bad for you. Really. I have had many disappointments along the road. My Feb 2017 cruise got cancelled twice. It was a major PITA.

I hope you enjoy the Haven. It is awesome.

I totally understand your frustration and disappointment, but really, don’t let it ruin your cruise. The thermal spa truly isn’t as amazing as you’ve made it or to be in your mind. I’m actually on the next week in a spa mini suite, and I do definitely enjoy it, but it becomes much less useful to me if I’m in the Haven. The spa can be very crowded. And loud depending on the crowd. And the chair hogs are every bit as bad as they are on the pool deck. The main reason I enjoy the spa is for the heated loungers, which are often being hogged. I have several bids in for Haven suites. If one is accepted, I’ll be thrilled and not miss the spa at all. If they aren’t, I’ll stick with my spa mini and enjoy my cruise all the same. Enjoy everything the Haven has to offer, use your thermal spa refund for some massages instead, and enjoy your honeymoon!

Yeah; unfortunately this is typical for cruise lines and I don't think you'd have a better result elsewhere. High level suites are hard for them to book, and even though you are taking one for a week further out; they certainly won't be eager to have a suite vacated on a sailing they have less time to sell. I know that in your mind this is a big issue but from their point of view, and an average cruisers; it's a minor point. What you want to do is a cancellation - they don't offer a service of switching cruises. You are asking them to cancel and waive the penalty so you can rebook a different sailing.

They wouldn't do this for (all documented in threads recently)

A named cruiser dying

A named cruiser having a major medical problem

A named cruiser having their home and business destroyed by a hurricane

The cruise having a completely different itinerary than the one that was booked

So it certainly wouldn't be fair for them to make an exception for you because the spa will be closed that week.

I saw a semi- similar situation on my last cruise. Shortly after my cruise they were going to have a music charter so they closed one of the pools down and removed the slide to start working on wiring and building stages. Many complaints but falls under the same general heading of 'sorry, ***** happens'.

I realize its not the same, but since you are in a suite and you have first boarding you can more than likely get passes to Vibe/Posh whatever its called. It won't have the pool and heated tile loungers like the spa but it will be more exclusive with bar service and other amenities. Something to think about.....:)

It's truly hard to believe the sanctimonious posts telling the OP to calm down and defending NCLs poor customer service when you're not affected.

What if the propulsion system needed to be repaired and you were told after you were boarded that the gang plank will be pulled up and you can pretend to be at sea for a few days. It is the same, the OP telling us that he wouldn't have booked the cruise if the spa wasn't available, as you saying "I wouldn't have booked if I knew the ship wasn't going to leave the pier.

jeeesh!

People book for different reasons... I've ultimately been "Loyal to Royal" - but last year I had an opportunity to travel on the Escape in the Haven Spa Cabin - for me, it was ALL about the Spa Amenity. I used it no less than 2 - 3 hours daily.

(Sometimes twice a day)

I loved it so much - I booked another Haven Cabin with Spa Package for this December.

My itinerary has been changed; I could care less - that's not something that can be controlled.

I would have no use for my trip if they closed the spa amenity; I would want the opportunity to select a different sailing as well!

I feel horrible for the OP and others that booked for this reason - this isn't something that broke, or just happened; that's a hard argument... "not in our control, live with it" - is much more understandable than something that is "scheduled."

IMO there is a huge difference between an issue beyond NCL's control vs. something scheduled that truly would affect someone's enjoyment when that is ones sole purpose for selecting the ship.

I hope OP can get it switch!!

3. "Cancellations: In the event of strikes, lockouts, civil disturbances, weather or any other reason beyond

its control, or in the interests of the safety and/or comfort of Purchaser or others, Norwegian Cruise Line

may, at its sole discretion, cancel any services provided hereunder and may, but is not obligated to, offer

substitute hotels or services and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to Purchaser by reason of

such cancellation or substitution."

Sorry, but with words like these which cruisers have been agreeing to for decades does anyone really believe they are going to get much relief because a spa is going to be closed?

Mainly because “this instance” then becomes the example for everyone else that has an issue - and in this case, a lot of people have the same issue. To the right person, a honeymoon is just as important as “I have a hangnail.” To others, letting a honeymoon couple switch, but not letting them switch would be segregation! Prejudice! Unfair!

And they’re right.

A honeymoon is a special occasion, but so are anniversaries, first cruises, “we finally saved enough to get a spa suite” and any number of other reasons. Picking one and not all of them puts you in a bad position.

I think it’s very unfortunate, and if I were in customer service, I would just reschedule them (assuming I could), but it’s a slippery slope, especially when it is something that many people on the same cruise will be unhappy about.

You also have to remember that just as people come here to complain, others come here to crow that “They moved us.” So, being nice to one couple on the sly is very dangerous because it doesn’t stay secret.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But not really...this is a known scheduled down time for the thermal spa-a main draw of the ship. What if your primary entertainment was going to be the pool and they were closing the only pool for the week? My opinion has nothing to do with this being a honeymoon. I'd say the same thing if this was your 15th cruise this year just because. It's rude on NCLs part to not even attempt to rectify it.

The difference is why airlines are required to pay for things when there is a maintenance issue but not when there's bad weather.

This is NCL's fault. It's either scheduled maintenance in which case they had no business sellin spa passes or it's an unexpected defect but are still ultimately responsible for and should if truly providing customer service doing something to make up for it. Maybe an OBC in addition to a refund. Something.

The difference is why airlines are required to pay for things when there is a maintenance issue but not when there's bad weather.

If the maintenance issue grounds the plane, the guest isn't screwed. If the plane flies as scheduled but the TVs don't work, don't expect the airline to do anything for the guest.

Maybe an OBC in addition to a refund. Something.
I agree that OBC would be nice but that wouldn't make everyone (anyone?) happy.

But not really...this is a known scheduled down time for the thermal spa-a main draw of the ship. What if your primary entertainment was going to be the pool and they were closing the only pool for the week? My opinion has nothing to do with this being a honeymoon. I'd say the same thing if this was your 15th cruise this year just because. It's rude on NCLs part to not even attempt to rectify it.

If the only way to rectify it is move all the unhappy people to another week, nobody would ever sail. Read all the comments here - people are constantly having their vacations "ruined" by all sorts of issues.

It's unfortunate that with ships operating 24x7x365, some maintenance has to be done while passengers are onboard. I guess the question is what level of closed requires notification ahead of time.

I've had spa suites. I've had spa passes. If I boarded and was told I couldn't use the spa at all, as long as I got a refund, I would find something else to do.

Someone mentioned the slide - a couple of years ago, there was a long battle because the Gem (I think) had a slide broken. Parents were breathlessly checking CC every five minutes for updates because their children's vacations would be ruined if the slides weren't repaired. Surely, you can find something else to do onboard.

The OP is in the Haven. They have a butler. They have a private pool. They have a private restaurant. They just got married. I'm pretty sure they will survive. I do feel for them because they tied all of their expectations to one thing, but there are other things to do on the ship.

It turns out that the secret to happiness is practicing gratitude. Can you be grateful that you are marrying the person you love? Can you be grateful that you live a financially secure life? Can you be grateful that your house has four walls and a roof? Can you be grateful you have access to clean running water and indoor plumbing? Can you be grateful that you are alive?

None of this is to excuse NCL for their complete lack of communication on this issue. It is obviously ridiculous that they are notifying spa cabin passengers that the spa will be unavailable, and simultaneously still seeking spa passes online.

But *for your own benefit* can you please take the time to contrast your spa-less trip to the Caribbean with the hundreds of thousands of people who will still not have power, potable water, homes, food, clothing, etc while you sail on by.

Holding on to anger is like holding on to a hot coal in your hand and expecting it to burn the person you are mad at.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

I understand the Op's disappointment. The equivalent to me would be if I got told weeks before my cruise that Le Bistro and Cagney's were closed for the week. Would I make due, absolutely. Would I be disappointed, certainly. Would i be upset if NCL was still selling dining packages knowing that information, heck yes.

This is my thought process, just an opinion. Is it possible that NCL hid this information in order to make sure those higher cabins are booked. If it confirmed to be closed for the week, then that sounds more like scheduled maintenance rather than a repair. If it were repair related, couldn't they get the Spa operational at some point during the cruise? Unless they just determined to due optional maintenance because of a last minute required maintenance to have only one week of downtime

In regards to communication, I understand that they says that they are calling customers in a certain order, but it doesn't take that much effort to send a email in the interim, vs people finding out on their own. But also I am sure that they are completely tied with making arrangements with all the hurricane activity.

I'm also on Honeymoon on the same cruise, and while I don't care about the spa (I can go in a hot tub or steam room in the gym at home) I'm trying to relate in terms of something I would care about- so for me that would be that all shows during the week would be cancelled.

Would I be upset? Yes, very. It's a big reason we cruise as we love broadway style shows. Would I grind my teeth and curse NCL a bit? Probably. But then I'd get over it and still have an amazing time with my new husband doing all the other things we can on board, and just the amazing fact that we are cruising the Caribbean.

NCLs communication re the closure has been terrible and I do accept that, but still it wouldn't spoil my cruise because there's nothing I can do about it- so why would I let it? I guess I'm just more of a positive person. Hope you enjoy your honeymoon as much as we will!

If the maintenance issue grounds the plane, the guest isn't screwed. If the plane flies as scheduled but the TVs don't work, don't expect the airline to do anything for the guest.

I agree that OBC would be nice but that wouldn't make everyone (anyone?) happy.

Yes, because people book airplane tickets soley for the tv's. Your logic is terrible.

It turns out that the secret to happiness is practicing gratitude. Can you be grateful that you are marrying the person you love? Can you be grateful that you live a financially secure life? Can you be grateful that your house has four walls and a roof? Can you be grateful you have access to clean running water and indoor plumbing? Can you be grateful that you are alive?

None of this is to excuse NCL for their complete lack of communication on this issue. It is obviously ridiculous that they are notifying spa cabin passengers that the spa will be unavailable, and simultaneously still seeking spa passes online.

But *for your own benefit* can you please take the time to contrast your spa-less trip to the Caribbean with the hundreds of thousands of people who will still not have power, potable water, homes, food, clothing, etc while you sail on by.

Holding on to anger is like holding on to a hot coal in your hand and expecting it to burn the person you are mad at.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

OMG. Being upset you spent $8k on a honeymoon where you planned to spend a decent amount of your time in the spa only to find out you're unable to because it's closed, only after calling yourself and then not feeling really satisfied with the customer service experience literally has nothing to do with not being grateful about the fact you have potable water. Please direct me to where he said he's ungrateful for four walls and being alive because your "can you just be grateful..." **** is rich. No where did he say he's ungrateful for any of that.

You can simultaneously be devastated for the people affected by hurricanes while donating money to the Red Cross and also upset you spent $8k on something that isn't going to turn out as expected. Your honeymoon no less.

I'm incredibly grateful for my life and what I have but, shocker, I'm annoyed that I have a Haven Spa room and have yet to be contacted by NCL. It's not one way or the other.