Are children charged full price for specialty dining?

floridacruisegirl

A big hello to fellow cruise lovers!

My family and I will be sailing on our first Holland America cruise in just a few months.🤗While we are new to Holland America, we have sailed many times with Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. We are excited to try Holland America's product.🌞

My question relates to specialty dining on Eurodam. I see the published rates for adults online. Are children charged as adults, too?

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance in clarifying this for me.😁

We also have booked our first HAL cruise coming up in a couple months, and have sailed other lines, but favor Celebrity. We wanted to try something different for a change. We will be bringing our daughter on this cruise too, as we always do.

I called HAL and they said that the cover charge is the same for children. The exception is under 2 years old.

I'm unclear how old the OP's children are. Kids and dogs like me and I love them but I've not seen little kids in a specialty restaurant on any line. Not even on Disney. If extended family joins the trip adults take turns with specialty dining. I have never seen a children's menu in any specialty restaurant.

Land based restaurants usually have an age limit for kid prices. We take our little kids to very nice restaurants but if there is a hint of restlessness an adult takes the child out before behavior changes.

Otherwise Holland America is OK for kids.

... My post about the parent contract is based on a recent HAL cruise so very well may be a new policy.

On embarkation day, the captain came over the PA to welcome us on board and then talked about the Parent Contract in each cabin and stated parents of minor children needed to read, sign and turn into guest services.

I was surprised and immediately looked for the contract (we did not have any children with us). Sure enough, it was with the Welcome Aboard schedule.

... My intent was not to make the OP feel unwelcome; it was just to give her a heads up that there may be a contract she is not use to seeing.

Thank you for the updated info. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please post a copy of the contract that was included in your "Welcome Aboard schedule".

Thanks again.

I wonder if the video posted on this forum and in the news a few months ago of the totally unsupervised kids in their separate-from-parents cabin, planning then filming an after-hours stunt involving jumping into the pool from a deck railing overlooking it, had anything to do with HAL's actions? I am also curious if other lines have instituted the use of such a contract. This type of Corporate action is usually in response to some sort of incident.

I wonder if the video posted on this forum and in the news a few months ago of the totally unsupervised kids in their separate-from-parents cabin, planning then filming an after-hours stunt involving jumping into the pool from a deck railing overlooking it, had anything to do with HAL's actions? I am also curious if other lines have instituted the use of such a contract. This type of Corporate action is usually in response to some sort of incident.

Please let me know where I can get a copy of HAL's Parent Contract. Thanks for your assistance.

Thank you for the updated info. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please post a copy of the contract that was included in your "Welcome Aboard schedule".

Thanks again.

Seriously??? Why in the world would I have a copy of the contract? I read it, it didn't apply to us, and it went in the trash can.

The contract was not IN the Welcome Aboard schedule. It was a separate sheet of people.

The one interesting point I do remember is the statement that children were either to be in the on board children's program or under the supervision of the parents.

Seriously??? Why in the world would I have a copy of the contract? I read it, it didn't apply to us, and it went in the trash can.

The contract was not IN the Welcome Aboard schedule. It was a separate sheet of people.

The one interesting point I do remember is the statement that children were either to be in the on board children's program or under the supervision of the parents.

thank you for posting this as I remember seeing it too.

I didn't look upon it so much as a contract but as an understanding.

I can't think of any responsible parent that would leave their minor child on their own. They would either want them under their supervision or under the supervision of Club HAL/Loft, I would think.

I certainly would and the parents I know who have travelled with their children felt the same.

That's why the children joined us at Le Cirque, Club HAL was closed and they knew they were welcome and were to report to Mum and Dad right away.

Contrary to many here, we have seen children in specialty dining.

A little story?...

My favourites a few years ago were a very charming young lady (maybe 7?) and her brother (close to her age).

The only two children on the ship for a good part of that voyage and the crew formed Club HAL dam fast and had the children out and about the ship. They were absolutely charming, well behaved (ok, the little girl was a bit of an imp but too precious).

Not only were they at specialty dining, they were invited to VIP parties, etc. It was so fun to watch them look at the chocolate fountain with their mouths open. They were so sweet and their parents were constantly bopping in even when they were doing Club HAL - very involved (Prinsendam is a small ship so you see some of this stuff). Staff and officers commented on how wonderful the children and the parents were.

My favourites a couple of years ago were 1of4's children. They joined us in several roll call activities and private tours and were most welcome. So impressed with how Natalie knew not to take pics in certain places. They were just jewels and brought the joy of life to us. Now, I am not one of the fashion police but if you could have seen the way these two were dressed (and proud of it) your heart would have pounded. Such a beautiful young lady in her white gown and hair up and Ian in his kilt. Just stunning and charming.

May more children like these come aboard. They are a joy and a pleasure and just put a smile on my face every time I saw them.

• Like 2

thank you for posting this as I remember seeing it too.

I didn't look upon it so much as a contract but as an understanding.

I can't think of any responsible parent that would leave their minor child on their own. They would either want them under their supervision or under the supervision of Club HAL/Loft, I would think.

I certainly would and the parents I know who have travelled with their children felt the same.

Thank you for backing me up because several of the posters in this thread inferred I was either lying or living in LaLa land and posting a fantasy of what I would want to see on board.

I read the information in the contract as something that any resposible parent would already be doing, but I am sure some of it will come as a shock to some parents.

And like you, I have definitely enjoyed the well behaved children on board ships.

It was great family vacation for us when my daughter was small and I love seeing the parents who do treat it as a family vacation and interact with their children (as oppose to the parents who set free their children as they board ship and pick them up on the way off).

I am the odd person who actually reads everything before I sign it. At closing on our first home they brought us the wrong paperwork and we almost gave title to someone else while agreeing to repay their morgage!

I did remember the mention of supervision of children in the cruise contract for HAL (yes, I am aware that everyone just scrolls down and clicks on accept;)

"All persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian. No Guest under the age of 21 may purchase, possess or consume alcohol during the Cruise. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the Ship. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision.

Guests who will enter the 24th week of pregnancy by the last day of the Cruise agree not to book the Cruise or to board the vessel You further agree to abide by all age, gender or other eligibility requirements applicable to any other activities, services or facilities available during the Cruise, including but not limited to those associated with use of any spa facilities, and to ensure that You supervise the use of any such facilities by any minor in your care. There may be age restrictions applicable to activities on the ship and ashore, which are established for the safety and well-being of all participants. Carrier and all independent contractors, as the case may be, reserve the right to revise eligibility requirements for activities during the Cruise or ashore for safety or other lawful reasons from time to time, and with which each Guest agrees to comply."

Omgosh, this is really making the OP feel welcome on HAL. [emoji849]

I am a newbie to HAL, but not to negative replies about kids.

My daughter has better manners than many adults, and I do let her explore and do things on her own and with friends when we have a meeting time. [emoji33].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Omgosh, this is really making the OP feel welcome on HAL. [emoji849]

I am a newbie to HAL, but not to negative replies about kids.

My daughter has better manners than many adults, and I do let her explore and do things on her own and with friends when we have a meeting time. [emoji33].

how were any of my posts negative? not all posts are and many on HAL delight in children.

And I agree, well behaved children/young adults are often better behaved than some adults :hearteyes:

As to children on their own, it depends upon their age, etc. I have seen some horror stories so if it were me, I would want to know where my child was. But I'm sure you are comfortable with what you are doing

how were any of my posts negative? not all posts are and many on HAL delight in children.

And I agree, well behaved children/young adults are often better behaved than some adults :hearteyes:

As to children on their own, it depends upon their age, etc. I have seen some horror stories so if it were me, I would want to know where my child was. But I'm sure you are comfortable with what you are doing

I know where my child is at all times.

Thanks for your concern.

Yes, seriously!!! Sorry to have offended you, but I was genuinely interested in getting a copy of the HAL Parent Contract which you indicated (in Post # 24 above) was included "with the Welcome Aboard schedule."

How? (I am genuinely curious.)

If my daughter asks me if she can go get a snack at the buffet venue and bring it back to the cabin, then comes back with a snack to the cabin I am pretty sure I know where she has been.

I get it, there are parents that let their kids run wild, but I'm not one of them.

I am the odd person who actually reads everything before I sign it. At closing on our first home they brought us the wrong paperwork and we almost gave title to someone else while agreeing to repay their morgage!

I did remember the mention of supervision of children in the cruise contract for HAL (yes, I am aware that everyone just scrolls down and clicks on accept;)

"All persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian. No Guest under the age of 21 may purchase, possess or consume alcohol during the Cruise. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the Ship. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision.

Guests who will enter the 24th week of pregnancy by the last day of the Cruise agree not to book the Cruise or to board the vessel You further agree to abide by all age, gender or other eligibility requirements applicable to any other activities, services or facilities available during the Cruise, including but not limited to those associated with use of any spa facilities, and to ensure that You supervise the use of any such facilities by any minor in your care. There may be age restrictions applicable to activities on the ship and ashore, which are established for the safety and well-being of all participants. Carrier and all independent contractors, as the case may be, reserve the right to revise eligibility requirements for activities during the Cruise or ashore for safety or other lawful reasons from time to time, and with which each Guest agrees to comply."

The parent contract on board was specifically geared toward the responsibilty of parents and the behavior of children. It went beyond this general language in the general cruise contract.

12 and under freem in Pinnacle. 13-18 are half price in Pinnacle...

Is this a new policy on HAL? If so, when did it start? We sail frequently with our teen-aged granddaughters (most recently the Canada-New England cruise in June, 2016) and have enjoyed many dinners with them in Pinnacle Grill (including An Evening at Le Cirque) and Canaletto. However, we have never received a discount on their meals, other than our 4- and (now) 5-Star Mariner discount. Just curious.

On embarkation day, the captain came over the PA to welcome us on board and then talked about the Parent Contract in each cabin and stated parents of minor children needed to read, sign and . turn into guest services.............

I cheered because it showed that HAL was giving forethought to some of the behavior that many parents seem to turn a blind eye to and was giving warning that parents would be held responsible. it did not contain any restrictions that I, as a parent, imposed on her while cruising and that other parents on board with us did not also follow.

If you haven't sailed on Carnival you may not have seen "free range children" in full flight which is likely what caused HAL to be proactive :)

Sailing on Carnival during school vacations can be like once families board they turn their hundreds of kids loose to do as they please "because it's their vacation too".:rolleyes: In the "tween" age groups and above the kids may check themselves out of the kids clubs to roam at will with groups of newly made friends - this can often involve running, large noisy groups, unsupervised kids wallowing their way through the ice cream machines and buffets paying no attention to anyone else already in the path they intend to traverse or the mess they leave behind. You see parents with children in diapers in the pools and hot tubs.

Yes, we do sail CCL - but only when schools are in session - based on itinerary and price. The service we've had on CCL has been excellent. Pt Canaveral is also a 5 hour shorter drive for us than FFL so we don't need to hotel-it on the way to and from the port.

Thus, I do believe HAL is just being proactive. We've never found kids on HAL to be problems (thank you parents :D ) but from what I've seen on CCL I can imagine their problems creeping over to HAL.

Is this a new policy on HAL? If so, when did it start? We sail frequently with our teen-aged granddaughters (most recently the Canada-New England cruise in June, 2016) and have enjoyed many dinners with them in Pinnacle Grill (including An Evening at Le Cirque) and Canaletto. However, we have never received a discount on their meals, other than our 4- and (now) 5-Star Mariner discount. Just curious.

I do not know if this is the most up to date information. could swear I also saw on HAL site but need to keep searching

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2270

12 and under freem in Pinnacle. 13-18 are half price in Pinnacle. Not sure on other restaurants. I believe if you have children thhat want MDR kids menu it is available ship wide at no charge

I don't think the free and 1/2 price are in effect anymore as you have stipulated.

I believe when 1of4's family was sailing with us, the Pinnacle was full price for her children. The children really enjoyed their lunch in the PG ;)