What to do in Costa Maya

livingitup

On NOS in Nov with family, port's of call Cozumel and Costa Maya. The crew we are cruising with normally rents moped's in Cozumel for the day. I made the suggestion to rent them in Costa Maya this time since they have never been there and this would be a first for me. I am sorta excited to do this because LIVING life is great now that I have lost 300lbs and I am ready to try everything!!! So can anyone suggest anywhere for us to rent moped's?

I strongly recommend you reconsider renting mopeds. Too many cruisers end up visiting emergency rooms from spills and worse. B4 your first port you will probably see warnings in the 'compass' saying this same thing.

When I was in USCG we regularly visited these ports for R&R we eventually banned renting 2 wheel motorized items PERIOD. Too many accidents, medical bills and lost work days. (if ya got hurt on a moped/bike the injury would be deemed 'due to own misconduct, not in the line of duty' and that meant the government would not pay medical .... legal beagles determined it WAS a lawful order and so far as I know the policy still stands)

B4 you tell me what a good rider you are I'll add that experienced riders had MORE accidents in my experience! they were less careful and prone to try and show off. At least a novice was scared to death . . . hence more careful

In general the rental bikes will be in terrible condition with brakes that work poorly if at all. Add to that a thin coating of sand on most roads which makes them slick as ice. And, your unfamiliarity with where you are going coupled with a few thousand other tourists walking across the street without looking. BTW if you fall the rental place is gonna claim you damaged the bike. They usually try to claim this even when you didn't fall! {I've rented 'em .... am older and wizer now}

And let's not forget a drink or two in the equation.

My first memory of mopeds in the islands comes from my first trip to Bermuda when I was a teen. I remember a cute girl staying at the same hotel and one day she showed up at the dinner with a BIG BANDAGE and limp. Seems her moped slid out from under her, at low speed, but she ended up sitting on the exhaust pipe when everything fell down. She was wearing a bikini at the time. Significant burns on the back of one upper leg ..... fun quotient of being in Bermuda significantly diminished.

hire a car and driver for the day .... hard to fall off that.

Edited by Capt_BJ

We always get a taxi outside the gates of the cruise complex. They are cheaper and it's a nice 15 minute ride or so to the beach. Enjoy bargaining with the vendors along the beach. Beer can be easily had for $2 and a seat in shade on the beach while enjoying liquid goodness. Costa Maya is a great port to kickback at a reasonable price.

I agree with the warning about mopeds. Not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by coaster

We went to a great place called Maya Chan. It is a day excursion that you can arrange yourself. They pick you up and bring you to the place. It was $55 a person. The beach has seaweed, but they have floating chairs. You can use the kayaks and paddle boards for free. It includes drinks and food.

Check out Maya Chan- We were there this spring and it was one of the best excursions we have done- Not the most beautiful beaches in the world but a great beach day. Check out the reviews on trip advisor

We went to a great place called Maya Chan. It is a day excursion that you can arrange yourself. They pick you up and bring you to the place. It was $55 a person. The beach has seaweed, but they have floating chairs. You can use the kayaks and paddle boards for free. It includes drinks and food.

And the ride to Maya Chan is a large part of the adventure!:D

Going in two weeks.

The only thing that beats a kitty purring is a big kitty purring!

Were they given drugs to keep them clam? I did that with a lion cub (about 20 lbs) in South Africa about 17 years ago and only in retrospect did it seem like a bad idea.

Edited by Biker19

Eh. I say if you want to rent mopeds and accept the risk, have at it. Just please consider travel insurance before you do so. I have a friend who traveled all the way through Mexico and South America on a motorcycle. If you are competent on 2 wheels, why shouldn't you enjoy it? You can get injured driving to work. Can't live life worrying constantly. If you get injured, you deal with it like anything else.