scented product issue update

angelbearmom

I remember seeing a thread here at some point in the last few months about HAL and their scented hair and body wash products. I'm travelling (tomorrow!!!!!) with someone who has extreme scent allergies. In March our travel agent put in a request that we have no scented products such as shampoo, body wash in our cabin. Everything seemed to be good. They were agreeable. But then, yesterday-2 days before we sail our travel agent got a letter saying they couldn't provide unscented products. We've had to scramble finding unscented products for the 2 of us who are ok. She'd also requested no scented cleaning products for our cabin and to refrain from any painting or varnishing near our cabin especially on our balcony. Hopefully they won't go back on their word for those too. Scented products could severely hamper my friend.

Remind your Room Steward when you meet him/her on Embarkation Day and they will use unscented cleaning supplies. We have never been able to get unscented soaps/lotions. HAL can also provide a fan to keep the air moving to negate scents. My DW has the same issues.

Remind your Room Steward when you meet him/her on Embarkation Day and they will use unscented cleaning supplies. We have never been able to get unscented soaps/lotions. HAL can also provide a fan to keep the air moving to negate scents. My DW has the same issues.

Excellent advice. Additionally, OP should contact the Hotel Manager upon boarding and request that all linens and towels be laundered in non-scented detergent. My spouse has severe contact dermatitis, so we need this accommodation whenever we travel, and HAL has never failed us.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Why would you have to scramble to find a product that you use all the time?

That was exactly what I thought when I read the OP's post. If you use them regularly, it shouldn't be difficult to pour some into travel size containers, or slip some plastic over the lids before closing and stick them into a zip-lock for your luggage. I wouldn't rely on anyone providing unscented products if you are allergic to them, always bring your own.

As far as not painting or varnishing near your cabin - they have a maintenance schedule they usually try to adhere to and at some point, you may be subjected to the smells given off by their efforts to keep the ship looking good.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Sounds like there was not a request that products be supplied, only that scented ones not be in the cabin. Anyway, I'm not sure about shampoo but unscented bar soap is pretty easy to find - I buy dial at a dollar store.

I truly hope they at least try to accommodate regarding the varnish. The timing of this work always gives me the impression that passenger comfort either cannot or will not be considered. Please give an update after your cruise.

I remember seeing a thread here at some point in the last few months about HAL and their scented hair and body wash products. I'm travelling (tomorrow!!!!!) with someone who has extreme scent allergies. In March our travel agent put in a request that we have no scented products such as shampoo, body wash in our cabin. Everything seemed to be good. They were agreeable. But then, yesterday-2 days before we sail our travel agent got a letter saying they couldn't provide unscented products. We've had to scramble finding unscented products for the 2 of us who are ok. She'd also requested no scented cleaning products for our cabin and to refrain from any painting or varnishing near our cabin especially on our balcony. Hopefully they won't go back on their word for those too. Scented products could severely hamper my friend.

Many travelers who are sensitive to scented produucts bring their own, soap shampoo etc with them. allergies tro scented products is extremely common. Tell your friend to bring the shampoo (s) he always us s Why wuold that require scrambling around? Do they not have shampoo and/or soap on hand in their homes?

As far as not painting or varnishing near your cabin - they have a maintenance schedule they usually try to adhere to and at some point, you may be subjected to the smells given off by their efforts to keep the ship looking good.

Our balcony was painted one day on our Westerdam cruise this month. The smell permeated the cabin for the day. By the next day the smell was gone. I don't recall smelling anything from the cleaning supplies. We also had a strong petroleum smell on our balcony when the ship was being, what looked like, topped of with fuel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

On my recent Amsterdam trip (9/11-25), they distributed cards to affected cabins the day before any scheduled maintenance work in or immediately around your cabin, with a number to call if you wanted them to reschedule. As I recall, the cards were distributed early the day before. I received two of them: one for repainting the trim around the cabin door on the hallway side, and the other for (I think) power washing the veranda.

At some point, they either polished or re-varnished the railing in the elevator lobby, and since my cabin was directly across from the entrance to the elevator lobby, I dealt with those fumes for about 45 minutes or so (I'm sensitive, but not "hyper"-sensitive to chemical odors). No warning on that one, but it was short-lived, and I just camped out on the veranda for awhile. Not sure how they did it, but there was NO lingering smell from that at all -- 45 minutes from the time I noticed it, it was totally gone.

I know this does not involve your cabin, but another spot you are going to probably want to avoid is the area near the shops as they sell duty free perfumes and there's a lot of people spraying and testing things. Scents normally don't bother me, but that area had enough that even I got stuffed up. Another place that bothered my friend was the elevators on Gala nights....a lot of guests were a little more than generous with their spray bottles that night.

I'll take an elevator ride with liberal users of perfume or cologne over users of scented laundry detergent, any day! I just can't figure out why anyone desires to have industrial perfumes, which bear no similarity to any of nature's pleasant scents, emanating from their person. Don't they expect their clothes to get clean in the wash?