Wishful thinking or ignoring reality?

seapointer

Just got off the Celebrity website. They still show port calls in San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin on February 2018 sailings. These are highly improbable from what I see reported in the news, so my question is why hasn't Celebrity worked out alternate schedules? I certainly will not book a cruise if I have to guess where it will stop.

I know that these islands need the tourism to help rebuild their economies, but there is little reason for receiving visitors if there is no infrastructure to provide tourist activities.

We are on a cruise in February that has stops scheduled at all of those ports. We understand this is entirety beyond anyone’s control and we’ll cruise where ever they take us.

It’s far too early to tell at this point. With conflicting report of conditions on some of the islands and potentially having a lot of ship traffic to funnel toward suitable ports, the logistics have to be immense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same for our Jan 20th - not listed in the changed itinerary section "yet" however the only excursions available are in Miami. I'm sure SJ will be out as ours was supposed to be a late port stop 3-11pm. Personally would rather see Port TBA or TBD rather than kept listed as originally planned making some think it's all still on as scheduled and going to happen unless new weather or rough seas issues come up.

The only cruises I would be reluctant to book are on Summit sailing out of San Juan. I don't think anyone can predict when the port, air port, hotels, restaurants, and transportation will be up and running. Nor, do I think cruising is the best use of their limited resources for the immediate future.

Same for our Jan 20th - not listed in the changed itinerary section "yet" however the only excursions available are in Miami. I'm sure SJ will be out as ours was supposed to be a late port stop 3-11pm. Personally would rather see Port TBA or TBD rather than kept listed as originally planned making some think it's all still on as scheduled and going to happen unless new weather or rough seas issues come up.

What would the time have to do with it? I doubt there will be curfews in San Juan almost four months from now. And it's entirely possible ships will be stopping there by then.

The only cruises I would be reluctant to book are on Summit sailing out of San Juan. I don't think anyone can predict when the port, air port, hotels, restaurants, and transportation will be up and running. Nor, do I think cruising is the best use of their limited resources for the immediate future.
Those of us booked in October and November on the Summit are out of the cancellation period and just waiting to see if this ship departs from San Juan. Most of us are holding non-refundable airfare. I am guessing that if the airlines are still not charging to change the San Juan airfare, we may get a break and sail out of Florida. Live and hope right?

I'm sure it as something to do with legal issue. ie cancelling port then forking $$ to the Port Authority for breach of contract. X will wait until the last minute. In addition, is there berth space in other port.?

Yes, money is a factor but a lack of excursions in a port operating bare-bones will also result in loss of money. As to available alternate ports, I would think that the sooner they make a decision, the more likely they will find one.

I have cruises in January, February, and March - all expected to stop in at least one of the ports that may be closed. I can't speak for everyone, but DH and I have no intention of cancelling any of these cruises. If we cannot go to Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, or St. Thomas then so be it. Celebrity will find somewhere else for us to go, and/or we may have an extra sea day or two. At the end of the day they will be great cruises and we will have a lot of fun.

I understand if you only get to cruise once in awhile (which was us pre-retirement) ports may make a big difference to you. But virtually all Caribbean ports can provide the basics, depending on your preference - beaches, boat rides, snorkeling, shopping, sometimes hiking, and sometimes gambling. I certainly prefer some to others, but there is something for everyone in each to some extent. I would personally recommend going ahead and booking regardless and trust Celebrity to provide a great experience no matter what. But everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with, with their hard earned time and money.

We're on the Summit's repositioning cruise departing Cape Liberty on 10/22. Celebrity has replaced St Maarten and St Thomas with St Kitts and Antigua but they still have us departing in San Juan. As of now American Airlines still has our flight scheduled but we probably won't know anything definite until closer to the cruise.

People have sent emails to Celebrity voicing their concerns with departing in SanJuan and possibly being stranded at the airport, but Celebrity has indicated they are not changing SanJuan. They've indicated that if you have cruise care insurance you could get 75% towards a future cruise.

There's still a few weeks but I believe it's going to be an adventure. Some on our sailing have elderly parents, etc that they're traveling with so have more concerns. Many of the hotels are closed with reopening dates not during our time frame leaving people having to try to get flights out on the 28th.

We're on the Summit's repositioning cruise departing Cape Liberty on 10/22. Celebrity has replaced St Maarten and St Thomas with St Kitts and Antigua but they still have us departing in San Juan. As of now American Airlines still has our flight scheduled but we probably won't know anything definite until closer to the cruise.

People have sent emails to Celebrity voicing their concerns with departing in SanJuan and possibly being stranded at the airport, but Celebrity has indicated they are not changing SanJuan. They've indicated that if you have cruise care insurance you could get 75% towards a future cruise.

There's still a few weeks but I believe it's going to be an adventure. Some on our sailing have elderly parents, etc that they're traveling with so have more concerns. Many of the hotels are closed with reopening dates not during our time frame leaving people having to try to get flights out on the 28th.

I'm on this cruise too (*wave*). I originally had my flight home on the 29th, but was able to switch for free with American to the 28th. That flight has been operating every day since the 27th. Some days a little delay, some days an hour or more.

We are on this same cruise. I keep checking to see if there are changes and nothing yet... I can't see going to San Juan or St. Maarten at this point. Final payment is due October 20th so I was kind of hoping to know by then.

My final payment for my January cruise is quickly approaching. We have waited patiently assuming that Celebrity would change our itinerary. With no news of changing the listed ports, we are fast loosing interest in a cruise that will visit San Juan and St. martin. Looking at other vacation options.

Really? I follow St. Maarten on facebook and they seem ready to have cruisers back this November. By January it will be even better! And OSJ will be up and running by January. I had plans to go El Yunque, they are currently closed, but I am optimistic they will be ready for visitors by January. I guess I am more optimistic. Plus, I am really wanting a vacation in January!

My final payment for my January cruise is quickly approaching. We have waited patiently assuming that Celebrity would change our itinerary. With no news of changing the listed ports, we are fast loosing interest in a cruise that will visit San Juan and St. martin. Looking at other vacation options.

We're scheduled for St Maarten, St Thomas and San Juan on a December cruise. They are some of our favorite stops. Not spending any time worrying about it. Looking forward to going wherever the ship does. It won't be snowing:p

Really? I follow St. Maarten on facebook and they seem ready to have cruisers back this November. By January it will be even better! And OSJ will be up and running by January. I had plans to go El Yunque, they are currently closed, but I am optimistic they will be ready for visitors by January. I guess I am more optimistic. Plus, I am really wanting a vacation in January!

They haven’t canceled excursions yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They haven’t canceled our November stop in St Thomas yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums