Barcelona Political Unrest

Hi Everyone,

Fully admitting upfront my nerves may be getting the best of me. The situation in Las Vegas is weighing heavily on my mind, and I have been staying on top of the Catalonia Referendum vote in Barcelona. There has been some pretty large protests and riots in the street over the past few days.

We're flying into Barcelona on Friday morning and will be boarding the Epic on Sunday. Frankly, I have some concerns and am trying to weigh how serious the situation actually is. Do some of the more seasoned travelers here have any advice? Obviously, we would not be (knowingly) walking into the middle of protests, but is it worth looking into possibly changing plans?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

It's calmed down now. I think by Friday you'll be lucky to tell anything has taken place. In terms of violence and unrest. The political side of this will rumble on for years.

We go to Barcelona the following weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it likely to be any worse by the time you are there than it MIGHT be in any other port you are visiting? Or any other place in the world these days? If you are concerned about what MIGHT happen at any place in the world don't get out of bed in the morning. We work on the premise that we are going there and are going to enjoy ourselves, BUT we keep our eyes and ears open all of the time, just in case.

It really depends where you stay overnight in the area. Most of the issues have been in the city centre and the airport is well out of that. The route from the airport to the port does not go across the central area so if travelling between them you are unlikely to see anything.

It's naive of some of the above posters to claim "it's over", "enjoy yourself" etc. It's unknown what is going to happen in the future.

I'd, instead, be cautious and take added precautions. I'm in Barcelona several times/year and have seen protests. I made a wide sweep around any groupings and move away from loud groups. MOVE along. Don't stand there with your mouth open taking photos, sorry I have seen this. KNOW where you are going. Don't stand in the middle of the block huddled around a map, looking lost. Wear money belts and split up your cash. Having a credit card and some cash in an outer zipped pocket of a a hand bag is better than digging in a purse and into a wallet.

Do NOT stroll around with your cruise tag, neck wallet, group name badge etc on the OUTSIDE of your clothes. It perplexes me- how, again, sorry - "stupid" this is. And I see it repetitively- every trip.

I hope everyone has a great trip. Europe is fantastic but don't let your guard down, and perhaps focus on avoiding problems as much as you can. . .

I think budget queen brings up good points. No. I don't think you should change your plans which is what I think a majority of the posters are saying. But, you are there for vacation so there's absolutely no reason to knowingly walk into an area where protestors are gathered. If you get into Barcelona and the city seems too dodgy then I would look into an excursion that takes you into the countryside. Think it will just be a wait until you get there to evaluate and then just be cognizant of your surroundings.

Seriously that is neither a war zone nor a failed state.

There are 3 things to be aware of

1) petty crime

2) anti tourism activism

3) independence movement.

None of those are a threat to the physical integrity of visitors.

To be honest if someone is interested in recent European social movements and politics there is probably no better way than to join an event of the independence movement. Or act as a tourist not a traveller and take a cab staying in the touristy places.

We stayed near port beach area ..it was fine ..food at beach area was deeeelicious ...shopping in complex near port very nice .....

I am staying away from super touristy places ....we might do HOHO ..to get birds eye view ...very stressful I. Sure

I appreciate all of the responses. We're also of the mindset of living life to the fullest. We never really considered completely cancelling the trip, it was more so a question of avoiding certain areas of the city. We built two days on before and after the cruise to really explore Barcelona, which is why I was slightly apprehensive. We were also a little worried about any protests possibly slowing down transit from the hotel to the port, but I suppose we will just plan to be super early, just in case.

The general consensus from you fine folks (and the hotel) is to go and enjoy and just keep an eye on your surroundings, as you would in any major city. I'm aware these are more anti-government protests and not anti-tourism movements, however we're also not the type to stand out looking confused in the middle of the street holding a map.

One more, slightly OT question. We speak somewhat fluent Castillian Spanish, at least enough to understand and get by. I know this isn't the preferred dialect in the region, so is it better to just speak English?

be alert. take cabs. and watch out for the pickpockets.

I think the pickpockets will be your biggest worry. (And yeah, in Barcelona is pretty bad because pickpockeing under a few thousand Euros doesn't get a criminal record.)

Otherwise, there's a general strike today (Tuesday) but no other flashpoints scheduled in the immediate future.

Do be aware of your surroundings.

I always leave earlier than needed to get to the ship. You never know what will occur. On our first cruise in Barca there was a marathon/10k and streets were blocked everywhere, that taxi ride was eventful. [emoji3]

I would EXPECT a taxi driver IN Barcelona to KNOW there was going to be a marathon with streets blocked off and drive accordingly, wouldn't you?

Precisely. Cue me getting angry and my wife telling me to calm down. Spanish taxi drivers are amongst the angriest, most frustrated people I have ever encountered.

Edited by NCLfamily

We speak somewhat fluent Castillian Spanish, at least enough to understand and get by. I know this isn't the preferred dialect in the region, so is it better to just speak English?

Their issue is not with Americans. They will know you're an American (unless you opt to wear a discreet maple leaf on your clothing). Usually an effort to communicate is appreciated, and nobody will expect you to speak Catalan.

We've just returned from an UK trip. Were there for the latest tube "bombing" which was certainly not the smartest of these idiots. We kept on with our tube and taxi travel. Certainly, these days, all the suggestions for safe travel are welcome among all of us. I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but here are our usual things to pass along to friends and our groups. Of course, be vigilant, not standing out as someone posted. Guys, invest in a money clip for your front pocket, nothing in your back pockets if you can do so. Ladies, a few years ago, I invested in a nice over the shoulder purse that has straps you cannot cut. Don't like backpacks. I've loved it! When using an ATM, have a friend/spouse stand behind you to block any wandering eyes. In London, one ATM had a message to be aware of anything suspicious on the machine. So, just give the card slot a little jiggle to make sure it doesn't wiggle, and put a hand under the area where an illegal camera could watch you put in your pin number. Now go enjoy your cruise!

Lake Lure Guy's Wife ;)

Great ...our cruise in Nov goes to both 😳😫😳😫😱

Not too crazy about choices for stops

I really would not be especially concerned about the stops. I am going to BCN at the end of the month, I will be aware of large crowds, but not worried. The problems in Marseilles are no more likely to recur than in England, other parts of France, Belgium, Germany, Turkey, USA, Thailand, Norway, India, Myanmar - and ... the list can go on.

There are risks of travel but millions of people travel every month, they remain alert to trouble and they get home with souvenirs, less money and happy memories.