Credit card vs cash onboard

Nicoleb789

Can someone please explain what type of deposit we need to make on our account once we are on the Breakaway? Is the deposit per person, or per room. We have 2 rooms. Do you recommend cash or a credit card. We already paid the service charges, and we have the drink package, plus the excursion are already taken care of. I don't know how many other things will incur costs other then specialty dining, spa or souvenirs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by Nicoleb789

I always use a credit card. It sounds like you will have little to no onboard charges which make credit cards ideal. Swipe when you board - no bill when you exit. With cash I believe there is a minimum deposit (maybe $300 a room??) which with two rooms would be a significant chunk of cash to do nothing except sit on the books for a week and get refunded at the end. And I believe you either have to stand in line at guest services for the refund or wait a few weeks for them to send you a check. Not how I want to spend my last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would always give them a Credit Card so I can spend what I want and not have to worry about the cash "running out". I do however often pay before the final day in cash if the debt is small enough. Whatever you do DON'T use a Debit Card.

We did a back to back cruise on the NCL Sun, August/September, and had everything pre-paid - DSC, etc., and had $170 OBC, so just put down $100 cash. We got the $100 cash the morning we finished the cruise, and are waiting for a check refund for the rest. So two of us, one room, two weeks, and only needed $100 deposit.

Have a wonderful trip!

Credit card is the way to go. They simply swipe your card while you're checking in and getting your room keys. And if you have any charges and wish to pay in cash instead of putting it on that card... simply go to guest services the night before end of cruise and settle bill in cash. Or they will just charge your card. And like others have said.... do not use a debit card!!!!!

Credit cards are the easiet way to go, but in all honesty, I like cash. I'll put down $100 - $200 depending on how much I think I'll spend and then I can always add some during the week. I don't mind going down the evening before to shut it down.

Quite frankly, I spend less when I put cash down! :D:D:D

I would always give them a Credit Card so I can spend what I want and not have to worry about the cash "running out". I do however often pay before the final day in cash if the debt is small enough. Whatever you do DON'T use a Debit Card.

Why do you say Don't use a debit card? I was planning on using my credit union debit card for our upcoming cruise. Just curious as to you adamant statement. Thank you in advance!

Why do you say Don't use a debit card? I was planning on using my credit union debit card for our upcoming cruise. Just curious as to you adamant statement. Thank you in advance!

Because whenever you give the cruise line a 'card', and frankly this applies to car rentals and hotels too, they put holds on it. You won't see the holds, but they will limit the funds you have access to.

Let's say you have 2,000 in your checking account. You check in and the put a $300 hold on your account - your available funds are down to $1,700. Then you book a spa appointment and buy a few photos so the cruise line adds another $300 hold - your available funds are down to $1,400. You continue to spend, buying a few drinks and a shore excursion, so they put on another $300 hold - your available funds are down to $1,100. Now you get to the debarkation day and your total bill is $750, which they charge to your account. That's separate from the holds. So at this point you have $350 available in your checking account until your bank releases the held funds. This can take up to 30 days depending on your bank.

On a credit card where you are nowhere close to the limit, these holds are a non-issue; however on a debit card that directly affects your checking account - they can cause you to bounce checks or be unable to pay bills.

Debit cards. NCL advises

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Because whenever you give the cruise line a 'card'.... they put holds on it.

Let's say you have 2,000 in your checking account. You check in and the put a $300 hold on your account - your available funds are down to $1,700. ...

On a credit card where you are nowhere close to the limit, these holds are a non-issue; however on a debit card that directly affects your checking account - they can cause you to bounce checks or be unable to pay bills.

Just to clarify, in the scenarion about $2,000 in checking account, you only have an issue with a debit card.... not with a credit card.

That is what the poster meant, but just wanted to point out the difference between debit and credit cards.

Biggest reason? That money is HELD and not available. If the bank tries to pay your elect bill or mortgage, that money is no longer available.

With a credit card - no problems.

Credit cards are the easiet way to go, but in all honesty, I like cash. I'll put down $100 - $200 depending on how much I think I'll spend and then I can always add some during the week. I don't mind going down the evening before to shut it down.

Quite frankly, I spend less when I put cash down! :D:D:D

Same here. I use cash instead of a credit card (which I don't use anyway). My last cruise I put $100 in my account and had an OBC and ended up getting some cash back at the end of the cruise. I didn't spend it all.

There's no set amount of cash you have to put in your account. The website suggests an amount but you don't have to put that much down. If you don't have enough cash in your account you can't use your card for any purchases. Using cash helps to not have a surprise bill at the end of your cruise too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Forums mobile app

Same here. I use cash instead of a credit card (which I don't use anyway). .. Using cash helps to not have a surprise bill at the end of your cruise too.

If you charge something to your room of any type, it could be a surprise. Same as with cash, debit card, credit card, etc. Unless of course you "cash" is so low you can not charge.

I guess there is some reason you do not use a credit card - which is none of my business. Personally, we use it for everything. We get free trips around the world or cash back. It is great.

Using cash helps to not have a surprise bill at the end of your cruise too.

Not sure it's the assurance you are looking for. While I haven't witnessed it, I've heard of people being held up at the gangway due to a 'surprise' bill at the end and not having cash or a card on file to pay it.

If you have a credit card...put that "down", and on the last night, you can go and "pay off your bill"...nothing is actually CHARGED to your credit card until the cruise is over.....that's assuming you don't want to just pay off your credit card bill once you're home. Either way, it's the same amount!

Not sure it's the assurance you are looking for. While I haven't witnessed it, I've heard of people being held up at the gangway due to a 'surprise' bill at the end and not having cash or a card on file to pay it.

Have seen this often. Maybe a last minute drink, or a delayed charge from a few days earlier. Hits overnight and they have to go back to the desk to pay. BAD SURPRISE.

If you have a CC on file - no fuss.. no mess... just go home.

If you charge something to your room of any type, it could be a surprise. Same as with cash, debit card, credit card, etc. Unless of course you "cash" is so low you can not charge.

I guess there is some reason you do not use a credit card - which is none of my business. Personally, we use it for everything. We get free trips around the world or cash back. It is great.

I should have clarified that. Surprise bill meaning a $3,000 beverage bill or something similar. Saw someone screaming and crying once because she had a huge bar bill at the end of her cruise.

The credit card thing for me is a whole other non cruise related thing. Haven't used them in years.

I should have clarified that. Surprise bill meaning a $3,000 beverage bill or something similar. Saw someone screaming and crying once because she had a huge bar bill at the end of her cruise.

The credit card thing for me is a whole other non cruise related thing. Haven't used them in years.

There's no such thing as a surprise bar bill for $3,000. You sign a receipt with the price every time you purchase something and can check your bill on your phone or in room tv whenever you want... that's like going on a shopping spree and then being surprised when the bill comes at the end of the month.

There's no such thing as a surprise bar bill for $3,000. You sign a receipt with the price every time you purchase something and can check your bill on your phone or in room tv whenever you want... that's like going on a shopping spree and then being surprised when the bill comes at the end of the month.

Tell that to the woman who was crying at customer service about her bill.

This is exactly why I prefer to use cash! By default you need to be disciplined with your spending! And I'm sure there's people out there that either are able to be careful enough with their credit card that it's not a problem (I'd have to stress over it!) or have enough money that it doesn't matter (again, I'm not in that "boat" pardon the pun!) I would be super stressed all vacation if I knew a credit or debit card was racking up charges that would result in a huge bill at the end.

Stealing from Dave Ramsey...

"You will spend more if you use credit cards. When you pay cash, you can feel the money leaving your hand. This is not true with credit cards. Flipping a credit card up on a counter does nothing to you emotionally."