Tips for a foodie?

DIVERSA

Thank you and everyone else so much for all the information!!!

The cakes at cafe baccio look amazing!!! Is this place the same on all cruises & can I expect different desserts at different times?

And the onion soup is served at the normal dine in dinner, correct? I'll definitely be giving it a try!

You can get Onion soup in MDR, Blu and luminae

Yes, Cafe al Bacio is the same on all Celebrity ships. The pastries in the mornings and the desserts in the evenings do change. Make sure you walk by and check them out!!

And onion soup in the MDR is one of the always available menu options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normally I don't mention that we are Elite Plus, but since bitob brought it up I will. Sailed on, in order, Infinity, Mercury, Century, Millennium and the all the Solstice Class ships. Again, food is subjective but I want to assure the OP they will not be "appalled."

My point in mentioning elite status (which is no big deal) was to give context to my post. I wanted tounderscore that we sailed celebrity often enough to go back many times and that we knew what to expect

Although we frequent the luxury lines far more than celebrity when our luxury line only friends would turn up their noses at our choice of celebrity I would sing its praises for food and entertainment. I called it the best value at sea.

Not any more. The production shows have declined. The talent level is not what it was and as I said the food is not good overall. This is my opinion and I stand by it

French onion soup in Tuscan Grill is amazing. I have always gotten the filet and it's wonderful. Dover sole in Murano is great. We like Silk Harvest and if it's on a ship we sail, we always go.

We *do* like the specialty restaurants and typically will go to them all on a cruise, as to us, it's part of the cruise experience. We haven't eaten in the main dining room in a very long time so I can't comment on the food there, but we do like Blu (the dining room for Aqua Class) and Luminae (the dining room for all suites). We don't do the buffet very much, but when we do we always find something we like. I like to get a grilled chicken breast from one station and add it to my plate of greens from the salad bar. Great way to get a healthy, tasty lunch without a million calories.

On our last cruise we did the Chef's Table. We asked about it on our first night (in Michael's Club), and the next day we got a message that it was to be held on such and such a night. It was about $240 a couple I believe and we thought it worth every dollar. Some of that, about $40, went towards the big coffee table book. It was a great evening with a beginning champagne toast in one of the lounges (really good stuff, not the sparkling stuff they give you in your cabin). We had a tour of the main dining room galley during dinner service and of the same in Murano's galley. We ate a 5 course wine-paired meal in the Murano wine room and it was fabulous. The head chef came and told us about every course and none of the dishes were on any menu. It was so good, and we had a wonderful time with our "new" friends and several of the ship's officers. We used some of our on board credit for this. We will ask to do it again on our next cruise.

A key for us is to not eat big meals 3 times a day. We love and appreciate good food but we don't try and "get our money's worth" on a cruise. We will eat a light breakfast - could even be a banana or a cup of yogurt with fresh berries, and split a muffin. I mentioned I like a salad with a protein on it for lunch. The restaurants can accommodate this too. Just ask for a plate of lettuce, a grilled chicken or salmon, and some dressing. We like a cocktail or two in the evenings and we splurge a bit more at dinner, but often we don't get dessert. We've been known to completely skip a breakfast or a lunch and the sun rises the next day. We love the burgers at Mast Grill. You can ask for them sans bun and get some guacamole right around the corner in the Oceanview buffet line and top it with that and some of the Mast Grill caramelized onions. Mmmm. The fries are pretty good if you get them fresh but I'd rather spend my calories on something like a pina colada ha ha.

French onion soup in Tuscan Grill is amazing. I have always gotten the filet and it's wonderful. Dover sole in Murano is great. We like Silk Harvest and if it's on a ship we sail, we always go.

We *do* like the specialty restaurants and typically will go to them all on a cruise, as to us, it's part of the cruise experience. We haven't eaten in the main dining room in a very long time so I can't comment on the food there, but we do like Blu (the dining room for Aqua Class) and Luminae (the dining room for all suites). We don't do the buffet very much, but when we do we always find something we like. I like to get a grilled chicken breast from one station and add it to my plate of greens from the salad bar. Great way to get a healthy, tasty lunch without a million calories.

On our last cruise we did the Chef's Table. We asked about it on our first night (in Michael's Club), and the next day we got a message that it was to be held on such and such a night. It was about $240 a couple I believe and we thought it worth every dollar. Some of that, about $40, went towards the big coffee table book. It was a great evening with a beginning champagne toast in one of the lounges (really good stuff, not the sparkling stuff they give you in your cabin). We had a tour of the main dining room galley during dinner service and of the same in Murano's galley. We ate a 5 course wine-paired meal in the Murano wine room and it was fabulous. The head chef came and told us about every course and none of the dishes were on any menu. It was so good, and we had a wonderful time with our "new" friends and several of the ship's officers. We used some of our on board credit for this. We will ask to do it again on our next cruise.

A key for us is to not eat big meals 3 times a day. We love and appreciate good food but we don't try and "get our money's worth" on a cruise. We will eat a light breakfast - could even be a banana or a cup of yogurt with fresh berries, and split a muffin. I mentioned I like a salad with a protein on it for lunch. The restaurants can accommodate this too. Just ask for a plate of lettuce, a grilled chicken or salmon, and some dressing. We like a cocktail or two in the evenings and we splurge a bit more at dinner, but often we don't get dessert. We've been known to completely skip a breakfast or a lunch and the sun rises the next day. We love the burgers at Mast Grill. You can ask for them sans bun and get some guacamole right around the corner in the Oceanview buffet line and top it with that and some of the Mast Grill caramelized onions. Mmmm. The fries are pretty good if you get them fresh but I'd rather spend my calories on something like a pina colada ha ha.

Your post is interesting but I doubt most cruisers are eating in the specialties every night or blu or luminae or enjoying the chefs table.

I don’t think you are a typical celebrity cruiser and I do not mean that in any pejorative way

The food is pretty good. The scrambled eggs at breakfast are from a carton, so I recommend fried. Bacon is icky on every line - I'm really picky, so that is just me. Desserts/cakes are tasteless and don't have enough sugar - same on every line. The exceptions are creme brule and ice cream - both are excellent! I have no issues with any other foods we have eaten on Celebrity.

We especially like dining in Murano. The food and service we've had there have always been outstanding, and something we look forward to enjoying. As stated before, the souffles (goat cheese and Grand Marnier) are both wonderful. The tableside preparation of Lobster Murano is our favorite, followed by the Chateaubriand for two and the lamb.

For breakfast I like to get smoked salmon and capers from the buffet and take them to the omelet station for use in my favorite omelet. Also we both enjoy the eggs benedict. The chocolate croissants are a delicious way to start the day with coffee, and often I'll order that from room service to start my day on the balcony watching the sea and relaxing and remembering just how fortunate I am to be there.

For lunch I'll often have a fresh pasta dish, or Chinese stir fry made with whatever ingredients appeal at the time. DH and I enjoy the escargot as an appetizer to start our dinner, and love a cup of cappuccino to top off a lovely meal (with a delicious entrée in between).

Food is certainly selective, that's why there's chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee, butter pecan.......

Try everything and make up your own mind. I do believe you'll be pleased, there are certainly enough choices!

We're foodies too - but we really reserve our "foodiness" for dry land. Why? Because, speaking for us only, there is just so much more authenticity on dry land, whether you're in a port and find a fabulous hole in the wall, or back home and know about a great Vietnamese or Middle Easter place with family recipes.

We have lowered expectations for cruising because we understand the volume they are serving and the fact that the farmers market is not exactly around the corner on the ocean. For us, it's the ship, enjoying the sea, and the beaches when we're in port.

One of the reasons we're just switching from RCL to Celebrity because we've seen the food quality really deteriorate - so any improvement, however minimal, will be nice. But we're not expecting Michelin-rated food either. We eat clean and there is plenty to choose from and keep us happy.

We're foodies too - but we really reserve our "foodiness" for dry land. Why? Because, speaking for us only, there is just so much more authenticity on dry land, whether you're in a port and find a fabulous hole in the wall, or back home and know about a great Vietnamese or Middle Easter place with family recipes.

We have lowered expectations for cruising because we understand the volume they are serving and the fact that the farmers market is not exactly around the corner on the ocean. For us, it's the ship, enjoying the sea, and the beaches when we're in port.

One of the reasons we're just switching from RCL to Celebrity because we've seen the food quality really deteriorate - so any improvement, however minimal, will be nice. But we're not expecting Michelin-rated food either. We eat clean and there is plenty to choose from and keep us happy.

So true. There are challenges to feeding thousands on board a ship; so we board with tempered expectations. That said, I'll still try to seek out the best we can at prices we can afford.

The French onion soup has not been served in the Tuscan Grille in years. They went to a white based onion soup afterwards and now, no onion soup of any kind. No onion soup for you!

I'm an avid Princess cruiser and liked the buffet on the Royal and Regal, however I was totally impressed by the Oceanview buffet on the Equinox. Blew the Princess buffet away! The quality and selection is the best I've seen on ANY ship...except the desserts which need serious improvement. They looked and tasted fake! The Indian food was great...but so was everything really. Cafe al Baccio desserts are good. Wonderful fruit selection though. Also, the coffee was fantastic, from beans, Lavazza and Melitta. No coffee syrup here. We had dinner one night at the Asian fusion restaurant which was very good.

Anyone who has been cruising for the past 20 years will agree food and service is just not the same as it was even 5 years ago, and certainly not like it was 20 years ago ... But ... We find Celebrity still serves decent food. We tend to skip the dining room, there we have found that quality has declined and options offered rather basic. We agree Murano offers excellent food and service. Tuscan is "OK" .. but nothing like a land based steak house, but good for a cruise ship. Never been on a luxury cruise line, and I suspect food is much better, but for the price we pay to sail Celebrity and other mid-range cruise lines (Princess, HAL etc) we find Celebrity consistently offers better food. I also agree with a previous poster that we get our "foodie" experience on-land ..where restaurants have more options for local sourcing, ingredients, etc. But..over all, Celebrity delivers a good food experience. Just mix up where you eat and experience all the different options offered .. you are sure to find something that is a cut above for a foodie experience! And...agree Cafe al Baccio has great pastry ....we stop by for our version of afternoon tea and love their lemon tarts!!!

I'm an avid Princess cruiser and liked the buffet on the Royal and Regal, however I was totally impressed by the Oceanview buffet on the Equinox. Blew the Princess buffet away! The quality and selection is the best I've seen on ANY ship...except the desserts which need serious improvement. They looked and tasted fake! The Indian food was great...but so was everything really. Cafe al Baccio desserts are good. Wonderful fruit selection though. Also, the coffee was fantastic, from beans, Lavazza and Melitta. No coffee syrup here. We had dinner one night at the Asian fusion restaurant which was very good.

This gives me a great perspective... appreciate it!!!

Again, big thanks to everyone for sharing tips and experiences. It's changed my mindset a lot in preparation for this cruise.

One more question actually. Is the main buffet on every ship identical in terms of the menu? Or are some going to be slightly more extensive than others?

d - it depends on the ship and sailing. In my experience, the S class ships buffet is a bit larger in area compared to M class. Both have a good variety i.e. Indian, American, Asian and English offerings, pending on the numbers aboard as well...

bon voyage

d - it depends on the ship and sailing. In my experience, the S class ships buffet is a bit larger in area compared to M class. Both have a good variety i.e. Indian, American, Asian and English offerings, pending on the numbers aboard as well...

bon voyage

So is it safe to assume that the buffet& possibly MDR on the Equinox, Reflection and the Eclipse will all have the same menu?

So is it safe to assume that the buffet& possibly MDR on the Equinox, Reflection and the Eclipse will all have the same menu?

I can go so far as to say they will all have 'similar' menus. Many of the same items, to be sure. Yet each chef has some leeway, I presume, to put out what moves... or seems popular on that sailing in OVC.

MDR, I believe has a more standard menu across the ships and is on rotation. Each may be in a different rotation from the other in the same week. Again, that would depend, I would think, on where the ship is and provisions available. i.e. an Asian sailing would definitely have a different menu overall from a Caribbean or Mediterranean, etc...

One needs to take this into consideration as well...

bon voyage

I Am sure there are meal plans provided, as well. Y