Your Experiences with Price Drops after Final Payment

Sorry if this has been addressed repeatedly but I can't seem to find super current info.

My cruise is past the final full payment date so we are paid in full... and the price of the single remaining empty cabin in my class has dropped. There's no chance of upgrading my cabin as those are full, but what about a little OBC to soften the pain? So far Royal has said no go.

I appreciate hearing about everyone's experiences...

Keep watching though. Available cabins seem to materialize out of thin air

sometimes. Have self upgraded several times during price drops past final

payments.

BOO... HISS... a little extra OBC would have been a nice gesture, but c'est la vie.

I was planning to keep watching but I'm not holding my breath... It's not much lower than what we paid, so I don't feel so bad.

Hope springs eternal :D

BOO... HISS... a little extra OBC would have been a nice gesture, but c'est la vie.

I was planning to keep watching but I'm not holding my breath... It's not much lower than what we paid, so I don't feel so bad.

Careful! Sometimes 'nice gestures' are met with fierce opposition here on Cruise Critic. :D Have a great cruise.

Careful! Sometimes 'nice gestures' are met with fierce opposition here on Cruise Critic. :D Have a great cruise.

OMG... thanks for a good laugh. It's funny because it's TRUE :eek:

The cruise will be great... can't wait!!!

Edited by lgdesign

Most of the time that has nothing to do with hope, but instead somebody coming and saying they are never cruising with RCI again because they didn't get any money back from a price drop after final payment (lately these seem to be coming from TA's). Just hoping for a bonus is awesome, I think most here wish for others to get a bonus OBC or freebie, just don't expect it and get theatrical if you don't get it.

OP - good luck, I am sure it would be a nice bonus to get something.

Most of the time that has nothing to do with hope, but instead somebody coming and saying they are never cruising with RCI again because they didn't get any money back from a price drop after final payment (lately these seem to be coming from TA's). Just hoping for a bonus is awesome, I think most here wish for others to get a bonus OBC or freebie, just don't expect it and get theatrical if you don't get it.

OP - good luck, I am sure it would be a nice bonus to get something.

I'll give you that. It was a tongue in cheek comment only. [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Would have been a nice gesture for you, but what about the hundreds of others in the same position? Rules must be followed by everyone. Hopefully something will open up and you can upgrade.

I look at it this way. If I can self upgrade to a higher cat cabin for little to no cost that would have been a thousand or more to book...it is much more worth it than a 100 OBC. ;)

I'll give you that. It was a tongue in cheek comment only. [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I figured that, just don't like to push negative stereotypes that reinforce that people should not post on here. I want people to feel free to post, especially legitimate questions.

Th price of a balcony guarantee when below my interior guarantee (room had been assigned though). So I called and got an upgrade. I was able to keep he $100 OBC that I received from my original booking. I was told that an exception was made. I think they did it because the new price was $200 less. I think if the upgrade had been the same price as what I paid I would have lost the OBC.

Th price of a balcony guarantee when below my interior guarantee (room had been assigned though). So I called and got an upgrade. I was able to keep he $100 OBC that I received from my original booking. I was told that an exception was made. I think they did it because the new price was $200 less. I think if the upgrade had been the same price as what I paid I would have lost the OBC.

I have upgraded myself several times and always kept my original OBC...or perhaps that has changed lately?

I have upgraded myself several times and always kept my original OBC...or perhaps that has changed lately?

Depends what the OBC is from. If from booking onboard, you should not lose it. If from some promo associated with the original price, then you can lose it.

Depends what the OBC is from. If from booking onboard, you should not lose it. If from some promo associated with the original price, then you can lose it.

OK...thanks Bob. (as usual ;)). That must be it then, as I usually book on board...not always...but most of the time.

I upgraded to a balcony today because it was less than what I paid for an interior. I went to reprint my cruise documents but I see they still list my old room. Will I need to call to have these documents updated or will this happen automatically if I wait a while? Depature date is Nov 11, 2017.

I upgraded to a balcony today because it was less than what I paid for an interior. I went to reprint my cruise documents but I see they still list my old room. Will I need to call to have these documents updated or will this happen automatically if I wait a while? Depature date is Nov 11, 2017.

Won't happen automatically. Contact whoever booked your cruise and request your docs be re-issued.

My experience is, it ain't gonna happen.

We did a cruise a couple of years ago with my parents. Booked a Jr Suite and Balcony. About month before the cruise, they had a sale, and a Royal Family Suite came open. Called RCI to move, and no problem. With the sale, the RFS was several THOUSAND less than the two cabins we had booked.

NOTHING, NADA, ZERO, ZIPPO.

Not even a $100 OBC, not per person, for the ENTIRE booking.

My experience is, it ain't gonna happen.

We did a cruise a couple of years ago with my parents. Booked a Jr Suite and Balcony. About month before the cruise, they had a sale, and a Royal Family Suite came open. Called RCI to move, and no problem. With the sale, the RFS was several THOUSAND less than the two cabins we had booked.

NOTHING, NADA, ZERO, ZIPPO.

Not even a $100 OBC, not per person, for the ENTIRE booking.

Thanks for sharing your experience... at this point, I'm just going to enjoy my cruise. Earlier in this booking, they allowed me to do a parallel cabin switch to a better location that opened up after I had originally booked, so I'm happier than I was when I started anyway. I had better experiences with other cruise lines after final payment a couple of years ago with a price drop so I had some hopes for Royal coming through, but it is not was to be.

I've never been able to get further discount after final payment. We went on Adventure on a B2B2B last Nov. and since the water slide and Giovanni's weren't completed, they gave us 25% off for future cruises. since we were on a B2B2B we receive 3/25% offers. We had already booked 3 future cruises which we were told we would receive the 25% discount. Having saved a substantial amount, we booked the 4th week while onboard. We contacted our TA when we returned and we did receive the discount for each. A couple of months later, one of the cruises had dropped in price...we were able to get an even lower price but had to lose $100 OBC...we were still ahead by $300. We don't usually "luck-out" but it is always worth a try. Also, doing any B2B pretty much excludes us from upgrades but we are happy not having to move our stuff.

Would have been a nice gesture for you, but what about the hundreds of others in the same position? Rules must be followed by everyone. Hopefully something will open up and you can upgrade.

I think that the low price for 8 days on a luxurious ship where you are waited on hand and foot, with great food always available and transport to beautiful Islands in the Caribbean, is wonderful. Do the math... if you flew to even one of these places and had to pay for an hotel at upwards of $200. A night just for a bed, then pay for every meal, coffee and drink. Then entertainment on top, would cost you a great deal more than you are paying Royal Caribbean International Cruise lines. RCI cruise lines are doing a great job.

Keep watching though. Available cabins seem to materialize out of thin air

sometimes. Have self upgraded several times during price drops past final

payments.

Being new to this, how do you self upgrade?

Sent from my iPad using Forums