First Cruise With Just Carry-on's

We combine cruises with independent land travel. That means trains, ferries, buses whatever. If we were simply going from home to airport to ship and then back home it would be very different. It is not unusual for us to have a cruise somewhere in an eight week travel plan.

People will think what they want to. So if some people think that we carry on folks wear dirty underwear or soiled outer garments it does not bother us in the least. We really don't care since we cannot control their thoughts nor do we care if anyone else travels with a grocery shopping bag or a steamer trunk. Whatever works for them is fine with us.

One thing is for certain. While travelling we meet more and more retirees in our age group who are travelling in a similar fashion. with carry on only. We have never noticed any particular unpleasant body odors emanating from any of them.

How do you get all the toiletries past security if you are carrying your bag on instead of checking it? There must be some liquids, gels, lotions or some other prohibited item in that carry on. Consequently I always have to check a bag and if I am going to do that, then I bring a small suitcase with everything, including clothing, to make my trip more enjoyable.

Barb

How do you get all the toiletries past security if you are carrying your bag on instead of checking it? There must be some liquids, gels, lotions or some other prohibited item in that carry on. Consequently I always have to check a bag and if I am going to do that, then I bring a small suitcase with everything, including clothing, to make my trip more enjoyable.

Barb

I don't do carry ons.., but whatever we fly... we purchase all of our toiletries in the town we fly to. Saves on weight in our large bag.

Edited by champagne123
Ccvv

Barb

I put them in a quart ziploc bag that I can reach easily.

Barb

Often the best (read: most economical) way is to buy new products at your destination. You might think "That's a waste of money!" but if you're paying $25 to check your bag and the only reason is because your toothpaste and hairspray and shampoo and conditioner aren't under 3.4 oz...well think about it, is it really gonna cost $25 to buy new hairspray and shampoo and conditioner? Probably not.

Otherwise, carry allowed sizes and amounts (3.4oz or less inside a resealable quart size bag).

After College I backpacked through Europe for a couple of months. One pair of combination athletic shorts/bathing suit, one pair of travel shorts that you could zipper legs onto, another long pair of lightweight summer pants, a couple of t-shirts and golf shirts, a few pairs of underwear and socks, running shoes, walking sandals, and a sleeping bag. They key was to wash out the clothes in a sink once every couple of days, using a laundry every couple of weeks and buying a new shirt every so often (and tossing the old one).

Thirty plus years later, not sure if I want to do that again by just using carry-ons for a long trip but for those of you who do, good for you! Now, I am doing a better job reducing what I bring in my checked bag but my DW is always finding a way to fill up that empty space with her stuff! :D

Of course it is desireable to be able to handle your own luggage - so we always travel light - one carry-on each and one shared checked bag - which is easy enough to handle without help. When away for two or more weeks, we simply like the convenience and flexibility of not limiting ourselves to what can be brought along in carry-on only.

You say "we", implying there is more than one. So, sure, two people can manage that load, providing ONE is capable of handling one carryon and a large bag at the same time, over whatever terrain or as far as needed. Some of us responding are SOLO travelers, so we do not have the luxury of our own Sherpa ;-) Personally, there is no way I could manage a carryon plus a large checked bag if I'm doing more than home-car-airport-taxi-cruise. Any walking or public transportation requires I must be able to DIY. Since most of my trips are more adventuresome than just getting on a ship, I do carryon...

Our carry ons on not simply over the shoulder time bag or a small sports bag.

Correct - that is what most airlines refer to as the "personal item".

We both use an international carry on size 20 inch roller. In my case an Eagle Creek softside unit. 20 X 14 X 9. We try to keep the weight down to under 10Kg and in some cases where the limit is 7kg (some European and Asian carriers) we simply take a few heavier items our and put them in the one small daypack that I also carry.

I've got carry on luggage in many sizes. I have that size you mention, as well as the standard US 21" (measured from the floor to the highest point on top) one. I select which bag to use based on the destination, activities, duration.

It can be a challenge to get the right size/weight Wish we did not need wheels but we do. They add weight and take up room.. So many of the so called carry-ons sold in North America are the NA 21.5 carry on size and are can be quite heavy despite what the label says.

Barb

I don't have any problems getting all my toiletries past security when I do carryon. All the liquids I need immediately are easily placed in the 1-quart "Kippie" bag allowed by TSA and other airport checkpoint security. The Kippie is always on the top outside pocket of my carryon or in my "personal item" bag. No biggie. I don't require a do a face-full of makeup with options for day/night/gala. I wear the same thing I wear everyday to work (moisturizer, Too Faced Shadow Insurance eye primer, Urban Decay Whiskey eyeliner, Blinc mascara, Anastasia Brow Wiz, some Too Faced bronzer, and only the moisturizer and shadow primer needs to go in the Kippie.) I have solid shampoo and conditioner, so that doesn't have to go in the bag. My dentist has told me only a pearl of toothpaste is needed, not an entire brushlength. All my other hair products (if I'm taking) come in travel size or I put some in a GoToob. If I need something more, I've always found these wonderful places around the world - stores. Easy to pick up something. No, I don't waste valuable time - I just plan for it, plus I love to browse stores in new locations to see what interesting things are there that I could pick up...

People put the toiletries issue on themselves, not TSA. If something is medically needed that is larger than 100ml, it is OK. Well, not Clear Care contact solution, since it alarms for it's concentration of one of it's components...

This. I don't care enough to be offended, but it's always interesting at least. I was talking about traveling light in a forum once and someone actually accused me of re-wearing dirty underwear . What is wrong with people ? We love the freedom that comes with traveling light and we never run out of clean clothing or look like slobs ;p

This, again!

We pack light and don't smell. I would know as I have an extremely heightened sense of smell as well as taste.

One thing we do NOT do is wear clothing made from polyester! Natural, preferably organic, materials and dyes are our first choice with cotton our favorite. I always felt that polyester clothes held odor even after repeated washings. Much of it contains the suspected carcinogen triclosan, too.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/09/05/346055067/stinky-t-shirt-bacteria-love-polyester-in-a-special-way

Our toiletries are 100ml. Thats it. The only issue I have is sunscreen. I must have it and we often travel to places where it is a challenge to get what I want. So I refill one tube(100ml) from a larger container at home. That usually suffices until I get home or until I reach somewhere where I can buy something. We carry a tiny amount of shampoo...some of those containers we pick up in hotels. DW takes almost zero loitions/poitions -carry on or checked.

This winter we will be in Thailand. Going down the Andaman coast islands by ferry. Maybe pick up a last minute cruise in Singapore...who knows. Then to the Philippines for a month.

Just imagine having to cross over two or three ferries that are moored together, getting to the right one and then having to climb down a little ladder to board. Try that with a big suitcase. Last trip we did see a couple do this. They each had a big hard sided suitcase each and smaller carry on roller.

That's not us.

Edited by iancal

Our toiletries are 100ml. Thats it. The only issue I have is sunscreen. I must have it and we often travel to places where it is a challenge to get what I want. So I refill one tube(100ml) from a larger container at home. That usually suffices until I get home or until I reach somewhere where I can buy something. We carry a tiny amount of shampoo...some of those containers we pick up in hotels. DW takes almost zero loitions/poitions -carry on or checked.

Ah, the dreaded sunscreen issue. Some don't realize they can use multiple 100ml tubes of the same thing in the Kippie. I've lucky enough to be able to find what I needed for sunscreen when I run out. Even the safari camp in Kenya had some for sale when I ran out!

(Kippie is a term to honor the quart baggie inflicted upon the airline traveling passengers by Kip Hawley, the first US TSA Administrator).

This winter we will be in Thailand. Going down the Andaman coast islands by ferry. Maybe pick up a last minute cruise in Singapore...who knows. Then to the Philippines for a month.

Just imagine having to cross over two or three ferries that are moored together, getting to the right one and then having to climb down a little ladder to board. Try that with a big suitcase. Last trip we did see a couple do this. They each had a big hard sided suitcase each and smaller carry on roller.

That's not us.

Not us either. I’m thinking most who choose to carry the larger bags don’t travel this way. Years ago I had a large bag traveling solo on French trains....terrible experience trying to put that suitcase into the train and up/down steps in stations with out elevators. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. And this is the challenge in Italy where, as a rule, less than half of the train track subway elevators work. And almost always they are not on the track that we need to get to!

I think that some people assume that travel means airports, taxis, porters, cruise ships hotels with elevators, etc.

It is sometimes, but certainly not always and not for everyone.

Not us either. I’m thinking most who choose to carry the larger bags don’t travel this way. Years ago I had a large bag traveling solo on French trains....terrible experience trying to put that suitcase into the train and up/down steps in stations with out elevators. Never again.

Or they travel with their private Sherpa or Butler (sometimes referred to as the DH) ;)

Someday, my dreams is to have my own Sherpa to carry and move my potentially copious quantity of large bags. Until then, it is what I can pack and move and roll and lift up/down stairs, train/bus overheads, from the transfer drop-off to my hotel/ship easily.

We both use an international carry on size 20 inch roller. In my case an Eagle Creek softside unit. 20 X 14 X 9. We try to keep the weight down to under 10Kg and in some cases where the limit is 7kg (some European and Asian carriers) we simply take a few heavier items our and put them in the one small daypack that I also carry.

Many of those Euro carriers demand only one bag, purse needs to go inside your carryon. DD did encounter one airline (Belle Air?) that allowed 2k more if you brought a laptop.

Clothing size and weather have nothing to do with packing light. Mindset seems to be the biggest factor.

Barb

3-1-1 rule which allows 3 ounce (really 100 ml or 3.4 oz) containers of liquids/gels in one 1-quart bag per traveler. Liquids, gels and such aren't prohibited. They are limited and I find that limit allows me to carry enough for a month.

For some things I choose a solid product that doesn't have to go in the bag such as bringing a stick deodorant instead of a gel. Toothpaste (e.g. Crest Complete Scope in a 2.4 oz tube), sunscreen (e.g. Neutrogena in 3 oz tubes), mosquito repellent if needed for the destination, some creams, lotions - all that fits in the bag with plenty of room to spare. I usually use the shampoo and conditioner provided along with my room, but may have a small bottle to use in case I don't like what's provided.

I guess if I ever start traveling for more than a month, I might buy some products as needed.

That's not us.

When we did a 3-week land tour in China with Intrepid travel, some of the women ignored the instructions to use just one carry-on sized back pack. We had two overnight trains with 4 to a compartment. The compartment of the 4 solo women on the trip was jammed full. Glad that I shared a compartment with DH, the trip leader and the solo man. It was more comfortable with all our packs all fit under the lower bunks.

And then there is even less adventurous non-solo travel. Last summer, 4 of us did a land tour in Alaska after our cruise. 4 carry-on suitcases plus our 4 "personal items" fit nicely in the trunk leaving room for some food and drinks for picnicing. If some of us had large checked suitcases or even extra carry on ones, we would have had to rent a bigger vehicle. That not only costs more, it is harder to drive and park and harder on the environment.

"sunscreen & mosquito repellent if needed" I found roll on sunscreen (like deodorant so it doesn't need to 3-1-1 and used mosquito repellent wipe-ons like moist towelettes) again didn't need to 3-1-1. I wanted to try Lush (solid shampoo) but I don't travel enough to justify the cost. Lush is the name of the product I've seen and have read that it's better to buy it at a store so they will make sure you get the right product for your specific hair type. https://www.lushusa.com/ I've read that conditioner is still a work in progress.

Exactly. And this is the challenge in Italy where, as a rule, less than half of the train track subway elevators work. And almost always they are not on the track that we need to get to!

I think that some people assume that travel means airports, taxis, porters, cruise ships hotels with elevators, etc.

It is sometimes, but certainly not always and not for everyone.

Well said.

Many of those Euro carriers demand only one bag, purse needs to go inside your carryon. DD did encounter one airline (Belle Air?) that allowed 2k more if you brought a laptop.

Clothing size and weather have nothing to do with packing light. Mindset seems to be the biggest factor.

Usually, it's the ULCCs (for Sail7Seas - Ultra Low Cost Carriers. Like Spirit in the US. Southwest is a LCC - Low Cost Carrier) that have that one bag rule. Easyjet has it. I never had an issue with Easyjet or Vueling (the two I've used). The purse fits right in the top of the bag. The regionals I've used for connecting SkyTeam flights (Delta/Air France/Alitalia) I did not find that one-bag restriction.

And, for me, I packed light, whether I was an obese 2X size or my now-10 size. It is mindset; my trip the other week - I had room left in my 20" bag for a 2 day trip, which included having to pack my suit and work Danskos. I stood there and thought "what else could I take" and I answered my thought "why do you need anything else?" :)

Wife and myself just returned from 7 night cruise from Seattle also stayed one night before and one after for a total of 9 days with just carry-on bags . Over the years we seem to find a couple of items each drip that we do not need and can do without. The weather was mild, I agree that we probably could not do this in the Caribbean. We sailed on Royal they do not have coin op laundry as some lines do. Always bring Dri fit for the gym its easy to wash in the sink and drys quickly