Deceptive advertising by Celebrity - what do you think

stromer

I think you need to provide evidence that all other cruise lines act as badly as Celebrity does if you are to make this statement.

I do not believe that ALL cruise lines behave in this devious way, but it does not surprise me about Celebrity.

a - most of us here in the U.S. see adverts from cruise lines all the time, at least those of us who monitor prices or read the adverts because cruising is in our DNA.

Beyond that, we understand how advertizing works, here in the U.S., so proving to you or anyone else this statement of fact is an exercise of futility, for us. Your idea about this puts a new spin on possibly a reason for the strict laws which govern travel adverts and discounts and other attendant travel policies, to prevent people from "possibly" being deceived, you pay a higher price for a fixed rate, once purchased no changes or refunds will be made or contemplated. I Am sure there must be more to the law as well, yet that does not affect me, at the moment, so I will let you tell us about it. Well, you do not have to we understand the gist of the law.

You may want to line up a few adverts, make a few calls to the lines, check out a few websites to dis-prove the well founded statement for U.S. consumers, most of whom are satisfied with our offerings. Sorry that it is not the same for other consumers around the world, though. Most non-U.S. passengers I encounter, we never have discussed this aspect of sailing, as such I presume they were happy with what they paid to be on the ship.... food, weather and all.

Come back and argue your point of view, if there is a valid one?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I booked a cruise sailing from Dublin on Eclipse to Norwegian Fjords next May whilst on the Reflection this year. Checked website on 20th September after seeing the Second Passenger 50% off offer and the SV Deck 7 Aft cabin next door to the one we booked was £1200 cheaper! Contacted my travel agent and have booked this cabin and cancelled original booking. Lost $200 OBC but still managed to make a huge saving. I won't be booking on board again. I think that Celebrity do need to look at these tactics. I love cruising with Celebrity but I do feel a bit undervalued as a customer.

I booked a cruise sailing from Dublin on Eclipse to Norwegian Fjords next May whilst on the Reflection this year. Checked website on 20th September after seeing the Second Passenger 50% off offer and the SV Deck 7 Aft cabin next door to the one we booked was £1200 cheaper! Contacted my travel agent and have booked this cabin and cancelled original booking. Lost $200 OBC but still managed to make a huge saving. I won't be booking on board again. I think that Celebrity do need to look at these tactics. I love cruising with Celebrity but I do feel a bit undervalued as a customer.

h - do not feel undervalued, I do not believe that X is intentionally targeting you specifically in this regards. Please remember that they are rolling out these specials world wide while most of the fleet is sailing. So the odds of targeting is spread out..those not sailing, get the better deal by watching, if in fact it is a deal in their part of the world where they would book.

In your situation, I would book on-board again just to cover all bases unless there is a time limit on getting the deposit refunded in full or other such penalties. Actually, you have a net gain by re-booking the way you did... sounds like you are in a better cabin, which you may not have considered at the time of the original booking. Advantage you!

When I booked our next sailing on our last sailing, prices have only gone up from there as the ship has rapidly filled up for August 2018. Similar situation for my last sailing, prices only went up as the ship filled up.

Guess I have a knack for picking the popular itineraries and we sail at different times of the year, too.

Enjoy your next sailing, one which we want to do.

bon voyage

a - most of us here in the U.S. see adverts from cruise lines all the time, at least those of us who monitor prices or read the adverts because cruising is in our DNA.

Beyond that, we understand how advertizing works, here in the U.S., so proving to you or anyone else this statement of fact is an exercise of futility, for us. Your idea about this puts a new spin on possibly a reason for the strict laws which govern travel adverts and discounts and other attendant travel policies, to prevent people from "possibly" being deceived, you pay a higher price for a fixed rate, once purchased no changes or refunds will be made or contemplated. I Am sure there must be more to the law as well, yet that does not affect me, at the moment, so I will let you tell us about it. Well, you do not have to we understand the gist of the law.

You may want to line up a few adverts, make a few calls to the lines, check out a few websites to dis-prove the well founded statement for U.S. consumers, most of whom are satisfied with our offerings. Sorry that it is not the same for other consumers around the world, though. Most non-U.S. passengers I encounter, we never have discussed this aspect of sailing, as such I presume they were happy with what they paid to be on the ship.... food, weather and all.

Come back and argue your point of view, if there is a valid one?

bon voyage

Well you are now re-defining what the op said. I have looked very carefully and cannot see that the op says anything about this being about US cruise lines or advertising. The op simply said ALL cruise lines, to try and make it look as thgough Celebrity was only operating the dubious tactics that ALL cruise lines do. Tosh, even you admit that not ALL cruise lines behave in this disgusting way and try to use deception...anything to get $$$$$$ out of people.

The email stated 'We're announcing a special limited-time offer just for loyal Captain's Club members like you. Join us on select Caribbean sailings in November and December, and we'll reward you with additional savings up to $500 per person.'

It was deceptive to me in that 1) there was no 'additional savings' and 2) it wasn't 'just for loyal Captain's Club members' because sailings they had under this promo were already part of the exciting deals, or other offers/promos, and were already priced lower under those so the 'additional savings' did not apply.

Did any of you find any that only the 'loyal' members got a special deal on?

The email stated 'We're announcing a special limited-time offer just for loyal Captain's Club members like you. Join us on select Caribbean sailings in November and December, and we'll reward you with additional savings up to $500 per person.'

It was deceptive to me in that 1) there was no 'additional savings' and 2) it wasn't 'just for loyal Captain's Club members' because sailings they had under this promo were already part of the exciting deals, or other offers/promos, and were already priced lower under those so the 'additional savings' did not apply.

Did any of you find any that only the 'loyal' members got a special deal on?

Moral of the story is don't buy from gangster USA cruise lines, look for those good old 'Brit' style cruise lines, they would not and could not do such things.

I think you need to provide evidence that all other cruise lines act as badly as Celebrity does if you are to make this statement.

I do not believe that ALL cruise lines behave in this devious way, but it does not surprise me about Celebrity.

I've cruised with Carnival, RCL, NCL and Celebrity. I check the cost of the cruises I am interested in on a regular basis. From doing this I can tell you that at the very least all of the lines I've been on play these pricing games. It doesn't matter what the sale is or how they word it the end result is typically the same amount give or take a few dollars as the standard fare. From this experience I would assume all the lines are doing it. It seems the only "real" benefits are any bonuses the travel agencies throw in if you book through them. The vacation industry is just about as bad as the automotive industry. It is possible to find deals occasionally but most of the so called sales are just smoke and mirrors.

Edited by TFLG

Well you are now re-defining what the op said. I have looked very carefully and cannot see that the op says anything about this being about US cruise lines or advertising. The op simply said ALL cruise lines, to try and make it look as thgough Celebrity was only operating the dubious tactics that ALL cruise lines do. Tosh, even you admit that not ALL cruise lines behave in this disgusting way and try to use deception...anything to get $$$$$$ out of people.

Yes, you are correct, anything to get cash out of your pocket, that is capitalism for you. Also, one does not have to part with their hard earned cash to cruise lines either, as such I label vacations as 'discretionary'.

One can stay home and chill and not be on the high seas and be bothered by being served greasy food, usually, or being kept out in the rain while waiting for an excursion or they can go to their local petro station for maps of the city...

Also, as mentioned before, one can always book the tried and true British cruise lines and I will continue to book my tried and true X despite some of the issues it offers up from time to time.

When I Am ready to trade X in, I will do so without a grand announcement, to be sure.

Challenges solved, so far.. LOL

bon voayge

Moral of the story is don't buy from gangster USA cruise lines, look for those good old 'Brit' style cruise lines, they would not and could not do such things.

"Gangster USA cruise lines", gotta love it! Where is Elliot Ness when you need him?! You are too funny.:D

I am curious; what Brit cruise lines do you mean? Also, why do you seem to post only on the Celebrity boards you you hate them so much? Is it just so that everyone knows you dislike Celebrity? If so, mission accomplished.

Edited by richsea

"Gangster USA cruise lines", gotta love it! Where is Elliot Ness when you need him?! You are too funny.:D

I am curious; what Brit cruise lines do you mean? Also, why do you seem to post only on the Celebrity boards you you hate them so much? Is it just so that everyone knows you dislike Celebrity? If so, mission accomplished.

Must be referring to Cunard which is owned by Carnival.

I found "The world is open" was misleading. First 2 guest get 2 free perks but you try and book with the rates then to get the perks "go better" they are not complementary. Anyways they came out on Saturday with the Loyalty credit and we were able to apply it to the world is open rates. The 350US came out to be 442 CAN each off of the posted rates and adding in 2 perks we only paid just over 120CAD per day for a Veranda Suite.

The perks are really hit and miss and if you don't try to layer them ie military rates your loss.

Happy sailings.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ALL advertising is to some extent (some greater than others) deceptive.

The applicable rule of thumb is NEVER read the words, but ALWAYS do the math.

t - a very good rule when trying to figure out if it is a deal or not...

bon voyage

I've cruised with Carnival, RCL, NCL and Celebrity. I check the cost of the cruises I am interested in on a regular basis. From doing this I can tell you that at the very least all of the lines I've been on play these pricing games. It doesn't matter what the sale is or how they word it the end result is typically the same amount give or take a few dollars as the standard fare. From this experience I would assume all the lines are doing it. It seems the only "real" benefits are any bonuses the travel agencies throw in if you book through them. The vacation industry is just about as bad as the automotive industry. It is possible to find deals occasionally but most of the so called sales are just smoke and mirrors.

I have to surmise that you are talking about the American cruise lines and as such I am not all surprised they are all tarred with the same brush.

I will stick with lines that don't have that reputation. I will also challenge Celebrity to use those techniques in the UK, now that would be fun.

I believe you should consider "the base price" as the lowest inside cabin category with no packages or extras included. Where the promotions get confusing is the add-ons. The upper suites, clubs, drinks packages, specialty and spa extras are where you loose sight of reality and the deceptive practices go unnoticed.

Cruises are always on sale just like mattress sales! Expensive advertising promotions are seldom good deals and the absolute worst deals are found in full page national newspaper advertisements.

Always ask ..."why are they promoting this?"

Full page national ad rates are usually $100,000 or more and TV ads by the minute run close to $250K.

A few year back I paid $299 for an Alaska 7 day cruise - it was last minute internet deal but with the bar set so low it's fun to bottom feed.