Formal Nights, Anytime Dining & Lobster

voljeep

On the Crown Princess beginning 11/13/17 - 5 nights and was told the first at sea day was going to be Formal night. In the anytime dining room - how informal can you be?

I'm talking about black linen pants and a nice white long sleeved 'panama' type shirt.

Also is it a given that lobster will be served that night, or is it hit or miss on a 5 day:cool:

On the Crown Princess beginning 11/13/17 - 5 nights and was told the first at sea day was going to be Formal night. In the anytime dining room - how informal can you be?

I'm talking about black linen pants and a nice white long sleeved 'panama' type shirt.

Also is it a given that lobster will be served that night, or is it hit or miss on a 5 day:cool:

You're fine for formal night as you described. Many people don't even bother dressing up since the cruise is so short.

Lobster might not be served or at least it wasn't on my 5 day trip.

Thanks - we might do Crown Grill that night anyway. I was almost turned away on the Island Princess from the formal night dining because I had on a 'short sleeve' cream colored Tommy Bahama silk shirt that prolly cost $150 easily... ( I bartered some work for that - no way would I have ever paid that much !)

Thanks - we might do Crown Grill that night anyway. I was almost turned away on the Island Princess from the formal night dining because I had on a 'short sleeve' cream colored Tommy Bahama silk shirt that prolly cost $150 easily... ( I bartered some work for that - no way would I have ever paid that much !)

You are male I assume? As a woman I wear slacks and a nice blouse to every formal event I attend in my life. I am thinking it was the sleeve length and you were male? Also pointing out women’s formal wear generally involves showing off arm...

They've since relaxed their rules on most ships & short sleeves now seem to be acceptable.

Even on "formal night" in the MDR?

You will find that term has many meanings...for some it means to dress to the nines...for others it means sport's jacket or long-sleeve shirt and/or tie for men and nice dress or pant suit for women...yet others define it as anything besides shorts and a ball cap...eventually the term will be dropped by the cruise lines because some people whine about being told to please meet a standard of dress...after all, it's their vacation and they should be able to make or break or bend any such request or rule! Personally, I find it quite amusing and enjoy the many responses to the "weekly" question: what should I wear to "Formal" night? LOL! :cool:

I guess that falls under smart casual. It's the Maître D's choice, but likely you'll get in. If it was shorts you'd likely be turned away. As to the Lobster, it's usually the last formal night. We do the surf & turf & get the Lobster & the "likely" Beef Wellington(or Chateaubriand)

Absolutely. As long as you're presentable with a dress shirt & dress pants you'll be fine.

Example:

guayabera-shirts-ouztkam-.jpg

The guayabera shirt is an essential for me. My guayabera shirt is yellow but the same as in the picture which I wear with my docker khaki pants. I have been wearing it on formal nights for several years now. It is quite comfortable.

BTW it is also called a Mexican Wedding shirt and is used as such here in our hometown.

LOL :D

elfinmagic's wife won't let him dress down a little on formal night so he's a little bitter about the whole dress thing. ;)

Black linen pants and a white long sleeved 'panama' type shirt are more than sufficient and as you well know it very typical in Florida at almost all restaurants except thee most formal.

thats not formal! the man who does my yard work wears this...?

When I was growing up it was common for the barbers to wear those shirts. Once I saw a man wearing one at a picnic and and said to my mother," That man is a barber". I know they are common formal attire for an Island wedding but I wouldn't be caught dead in one at any occasion. It screams old Italian barber to me.