Formal Nights, Anytime Dining & Lobster

voljeep

thats not formal! the man who does my yard work wears this...?

Sorry but in many spanish culture base countries that is the formal attire. It has even been worn to state dinners in the White House. Maybe your man is trying to class up his work environment?

Sorry but in many spanish culture base countries that is the formal attire. It has even been worn to state dinners in the White House. Maybe your man is trying to class up his work environment?
maybe, he does take care with his hygiene. and he wears dockers while on a John Deere.

Princess "rules" are also flexible to residents of the rest of the "real world".

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

however if you wanna wear a150 dollar Panama button front I'm down with that.

And why are we even talkin bout this on a lobster thread? :o

Edited by c-boy

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

however if you wanna wear a150 dollar Panama button front I'm down with that.

As long as were posting the suggested rules we might want to also add "(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks)".

This part is often overlooked by many of the formalists and is the reason why many people choose to dress down for the DR.

When I was growing up it was common for the barbers to wear those shirts. Once I saw a man wearing one at a picnic and and said to my mother," That man is a barber". I know they are common formal attire for an Island wedding but I wouldn't be caught dead in one at any occasion. It screams old Italian barber to me.

I looked at that picture, and for the life of me could not figure out why it looked so familiar. Exactly what you said, it IS a barber shirt. My sons barber wears one in the shop every day.

As long as were posting the suggested rules we might want to also add "(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks)".

This part is often overlooked by many of the formalists and is the reason why many people choose to dress down for the DR.

many parts are overlooked by varying kinds/type of people. I didn't make the rules and I'm not gonna enforce them either.

I think you meant people that like to dress in more formal attire at dinner. A "Formalist" by definition is "

• a follower or advocate of the basing of ethics on the form of the moral law without regard to intention or consequences.
  • an artist who is excessively concerned with form, technique, or symbolism rather than content:
  • an advocate of the treatment of mathematics as a manipulation of meaningless symbols.

I personally would consider nice slacks, button up shirt, and tie as plenty formal...definitely that's above the standard "casual" look, especially on a ship in the Caribbean.

Strange, but it seems many of those that don't want to dress more nicely are upset with those that do and many of those that do dress up are offended by those that could care less about formal attire...personally, I don't see what the issue is...if the Staff lets you in to the MDRs with whatever you are wearing, than enjoy the meal and don't worry about what others are wearing...our group will be dressed to the nines, but that's just how we like to roll...we don't get to dress formally very often in our day to day businesses...like my wife says, she wears scrubs every day so when she can get dressed up, she does...in fact, I'm guessing she'll look pretty awesome every night for 8 nights!!

Strange, but it seems many of those that don't want to dress more nicely are upset with those that do and many of those that do dress up are offended by those that could care less about formal attire...personally, I don't see what the issue is...if the Staff lets you in to the MDRs with whatever you are wearing, than enjoy the meal and don't worry about what others are wearing...our group will be dressed to the nines, but that's just how we like to roll...we don't get to dress formally very often in our day to day businesses...like my wife says, she wears scrubs every day so when she can get dressed up, she does...in fact, I'm guessing she'll look pretty awesome every night for 8 nights!!
kinda like the debate over health care... lol (not to hijack the thread...)

Price of clothing isn't what makes it appropriate! It's cut, material and style.

Thank You. To add for the ladies, a maxi dress that you wear as a beach cover up doesn't go from day to evening by swapping the puka shell necklace with pearls

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What annoys me more than what people wear on any given night is the fact that Princess doesn't enforce what they suggest is formal. Just don't call it formal. There is textbook formal and then there is Princess formal. Even there suggestions aren't true formal. Back in 1991 we had a couple at our table who were from Alaska. They claimed that the travel agent never told them about formal night. Back then it was 2 semi formal nights and 2 formal nights and only traditional dining. Every night she showed up in a sundress and he wore denim jeans and a long sleeve flannel shirt. It was a Caribbean cruise. I guess the TA didn't inform them of the weather in the Caribbean either. 26 years ago Princess didn't enforce their own rules so I don't expect them to do it now. We had a great time with this couple who were quite a few years older than us. We really didn't care how they were dressed but I know that they felt uncomfortable because they didn't want to be in the group picture on formal night even though we encouraged them to.

As I understand from a prominent poster here, if you are from Florida you do not have to abide by any Princess rules

I understand from another infamous prominent poster that all must comply with page 16 with no deviations.

What annoys me more than what people wear on any given night is the fact that Princess doesn't enforce what they suggest is formal. Just don't call it formal. There is textbook formal and then there is Princess formal. Even there suggestions aren't true formal. Back in 1991 we had a couple at our table who were from Alaska. They claimed that the travel agent never told them about formal night. Back then it was 2 semi formal nights and 2 formal nights and only traditional dining. Every night she showed up in a sundress and he wore denim jeans and a long sleeve flannel shirt. It was a Caribbean cruise. I guess the TA didn't inform them of the weather in the Caribbean either. 26 years ago Princess didn't enforce their own rules so I don't expect them to do it now. We had a great time with this couple who were quite a few years older than us. We really didn't care how they were dressed but I know that they felt uncomfortable because they didn't want to be in the group picture on formal night even though we encouraged them to.

There is you key statement in red. How do you enforce a suggestion? They do enforce the no shorts, no tattered clothing, no t-shirts stuff pretty well that they say is not allowed (pretty definite language there). Most people do make the effort to spruce it up and that is fine by me. Like you, I don't let other folks choice of attire ruin my cruise. All the focus on MDR and there are some odd choices at other times and places as well.

I guess that falls under smart casual. It's the Maître D's choice, but likely you'll get in. If it was shorts you'd likely be turned away. As to the Lobster, it's usually the last formal night. We do the surf & turf & get the Lobster & the "likely" Beef Wellington(or Chateaubriand)

Crown is doing a 5 day cruise-- there is only ONE formal night but id like toknow if lobster is served that night

Just off the Regal this morning on a 5 day Canada cruise. The first sea day was the only formal night and lobster was on the menu in the MDR's. I think about 80 % did dress formal or semi formal. I can't say how it was enforced in the MDR's, as we choose to dress casual and dined in the Crown Grill.

On the Crown Princess beginning 11/13/17 - 5 nights and was told the first at sea day was going to be Formal night. In the anytime dining room - how informal can you be?

I'm talking about black linen pants and a nice white long sleeved 'panama' type shirt.

Also is it a given that lobster will be served that night, or is it hit or miss on a 5 day:cool:

It looks like there will be 2 of us dressed like this. On this cruise. :)

Just off the Regal this morning on a 5 day Canada cruise. The first sea day was the only formal night and lobster was on the menu in the MDR's. I think about 80 % did dress formal or semi formal. I can't say how it was enforced in the MDR's, as we choose to dress casual and dined in the Crown Grill.

We too just got off that ship and did dine in the MDR on the so called formal night. I don’t know if you heard the captain at the champagne waterfall. I was rather surprised to hear him advise that we should all enjoy the formal night festivities without worrying about what others are wearing. My first thought: he must be reading Cruise Critic. BTW, my husband wore dress shirt, tie, Dockers and loafers. I wore dressy top, shoes and black slacks.

did you have a pre-cruise reservation in the Crown Grill or just able to walk in or make that morning?

The don't allow all tables to be booked in advance of the cruise date. However, you may or may not have luck attempting to book a table same-day on board. You might want to consider asking for a reservation early in the cruise for your desired night and time. I usually plan ahead this way, but we did go an extra night one trip unplanned and they had room for two of us.

well, would like to do it the first at sea day - which will be the formal night - depending on if the menu in the MDR that night is anything special for formal night. Wonder when is the soonest we can see the menu for that night??