Celebrity introducing nonrefundable deposits?

bornabilly

Celebrity have confirmed it's going to be attached to an upcoming promotion. The Travel Agency that sent out the email is massive.

So we have basically gone between 2 threads on this subject starting with the non-refundable would start on Nov 1 (didn't happen), to "sometime in November", to now,an upcoming promotion. Talk about asking different Celebrity reps and

getting a different answer...This site is full of misinformation.

Celebrity have confirmed it's going to be attached to an upcoming promotion. The Travel Agency that sent out the email is massive.

Well while they might be massive, I don't see how they have some first hand knowledge of major policy change when no other reps that work for the company, or those of us that sell their product for a living do. I have all of the current promotion information here at work, and there is NOTHING to state anything about changes to their current deposit structure. I also have the current promotion for the onboard sales as well, none of which in any fine print states any changes to the deposit structure. The current promotion runs until the beginning of December, however I would assume that if there was to be a major change like this, we would be trained on it before anything happened. If something does change there would be a lead up to it with everyone being in the loop, not being told via a cruise critic posting - the bottom line is that until anyone is given anything in writing, all policies and procedures are the same.

"Fake News" ???

;p

Don't know. Though it's a classic schoolboy error to assume anything with Celebrity, as their consistent inconsistencies and poor communication skills are very well documented.

I'd keep an open mind for now.

Don't know. Though it's a classic schoolboy error to assume anything with Celebrity, as their consistent inconsistencies and poor communication skills are very well documented.

I'd keep an open mind for now.

Consistent inconsistencies are alive and well here on Cruise Criric. Ask a simple yes or no question on here and get 10 pages of different answers.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Well while they might be massive, I don't see how they have some first hand knowledge of major policy change when no other reps that work for the company, or those of us that sell their product for a living do. I have all of the current promotion information here at work, and there is NOTHING to state anything about changes to their current deposit structure. I also have the current promotion for the onboard sales as well, none of which in any fine print states any changes to the deposit structure. The current promotion runs until the beginning of December, however I would assume that if there was to be a major change like this, we would be trained on it before anything happened. If something does change there would be a lead up to it with everyone being in the loop, not being told via a cruise critic posting - the bottom line is that until anyone is given anything in writing, all policies and procedures are the same.

There are some TAs out there that get info far before others. Happens all the time. And also keep in mind, this Travel Agent is using Celebrity Edge's Transatlantic as their President's Cruise so with that much group space, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got advance knowledge.

I just called Celebrity directly and asked the representative if they are introducing the non refundable deposits. She said "No" and and then checked with someone else there in her office just to be sure and again said they have no such information about that and that I received incorrect information.

I

I just called Celebrity directly and asked the representative if they are introducing the non refundable deposits. She said "No" and and then checked with someone else there in her office just to be sure and again said they have no such information about that and that I received incorrect information.

I

Get ready for the posts that say to call Celebrity back to get another agent so you can get different answer. Just like 6 pages (currently) of this thread with misinformation and speculation.

I

In general, you would get a more accurate answer asking your supermarket check out person a question about celebrity policy than you get calling celebrity.

In general, you would get a more accurate answer asking your supermarket check out person a question about celebrity policy than you get calling celebrity.

I spoke with Captain's Club yesterday on another issue and asked them regarding this " possible" new changes and they said that RC does have this policy, but not Celebrity.

What? Then they need to hire better people...if they cannot clearly and accurately promulgate their policies they need to fire those ppl or retrain them

I called on Oct 31st and they said that new bookings on Nov 1st would be non refundable. I am glad they changed their policies last minute.

Cruise Critic just posted in their news that nonrefundable deposit options for Celebrity will start November 28, 2017.

Here is the link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8181

Also I just noticed on repricing some of the sailings covered under today's promotion that Celebrity's Cruise Care prices have also increased on new bookings .

I would not be surprised if Celebrity makes the nonrefundable program a permanent feature for suites and guarantee categories like Royal Caribbean.

Do we know if those nonrefundable deposits can be applied to different sailings if you have to change dates, itineraries, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it’s similar to Royal, I believe there would be a charge for the changes you have listed.

I think you need to talk to whoever handles the relationship with Cekebrity at your company. Clearly you're company is behind the curve compared to other travel agents.

I think you need to talk to whoever handles the relationship with Cekebrity at your company. Clearly you're company is behind the curve compared to other travel agents.

I find your response rather comical, as I have spoke to several contacts at the home office of Celebrity, no one of whom knows anything about what CruiseCritic is reporting. Until I get a communication from them, it's business as usual, I don't find it beneficial to run business based of rumor and innuendo from message boards. Whatever policy change this is, I will deal with it in the proper manner given to me, and not shout "fire" via a mass email message to clients - that's unprofessional, and doesn't do anything but start pointless dialogue such as this.

Considering that the original email sent by that travel agency, as the OP stated sometime in November, I'm wondering if Celebrity might institute the policy by the end of the month. Otherwise the TA was fear mongering. Either way I find it less than professional for the TA to spread the rumor until more concrete information was available.

I believe Andy's information is probably more accurate than anything else since he's seemed to be more connected. However as he pointed out details haven't been nailed down yet.

Worrying about the possible change is a waste of mental energy until Celebrity announces the new program with details. At that time you can decide whether you will continue sailing Celebrity, take the increased refundable deposit or go for the lower non refundable deposit.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I find your response rather comical, as I have spoke to several contacts at the home office of Celebrity, no one of whom knows anything about what CruiseCritic is reporting. Until I get a communication from them, it's business as usual, I don't find it beneficial to run business based of rumor and innuendo from message boards. Whatever policy change this is, I will deal with it in the proper manner given to me, and not shout "fire" via a mass email message to clients - that's unprofessional, and doesn't do anything but start pointless dialogue such as this.

As comical as your earlier insinuation of 'I am a professional and if I don't know then none of you will know' comment! Now that genuinely did make me smile. :D

I had to email my regular US TA (Very large company) about another matter yesterday and so asked about non refundable deposits, I had a reply later last night and they know all about the upcoming changes. I guess they have a professional relationship with Celebrity and are taken seriously by them so that they're kept in the loop.

Worrying about the possible change is a waste of mental energy until Celebrity announces the new program with details. At that time you can decide whether you will continue sailing Celebrity, take the increased refundable deposit or go for the lower non refundable deposit.

From what I can see in the grand scheme of things customers won't be inconvenienced very much at all. It's pretty much a non issue in my mind.

But yes, as always it could have been communicated better!

I'm going to guess that Celebrity may try an "unrefundable deposit" special deal offer as a trial balloon, before they just change to non refundable deposits across the board....which is what any well run company would do.....

Yes...there is a major questionable assumption in my statement......

As comical as your earlier insinuation of 'I am a professional and if I don't know then none of you will know' comment! Now that genuinely did make me smile. :D

I had to email my regular US TA (Very large company) about another matter yesterday and so asked about non refundable deposits, I had a reply later last night and they know all about the upcoming changes. I guess they have a professional relationship with Celebrity and are taken seriously by them so that they're kept in the loop.

I also work for a very large company, one of the largest Internet based agencies as a matter of fact, and I find your comment to be rather insulting - I simply was stating in my earlier comment that there has been no official communication from the cruise line to anyone at the agency, nor from Celebrity earlier. As of today, Celebrity still doesn't have any official communication in any travel agent portal. Whoever your agency is isn't doing anything but stoking the flames by announcing policies before they are announced by the carrier, something I find to be rather distasteful. The company should be leading the charge on this, not the agencies.