Celebrity introducing nonrefundable deposits?

bornabilly

Why? It's optional.

For me, the anchoring effect applies. seeing that lower price will almost always prevent me from booking as I will want the lower price but with flexibility. can't helped but feel jipped.

I am a millennial and we need flexibility as we have busy schedules (well the working ones with disposable income). so i don't foresee how this will grow x's market in the direction that they want to.

I made one booking and quite frankly it will be my last (will do charters with x through a diff company tho assuming i can rebook w/ them). I will enjoy my cruise tho with x :D and soak it up as it will be my last commercial cruise.

All these rigid rules don't sound like modern luxury to me. #justsayin

I also work for a very large company, one of the largest Internet based agencies as a matter of fact, and I find your comment to be rather insulting - I simply was stating in my earlier comment that there has been no official communication from the cruise line to anyone at the agency, nor from Celebrity earlier. As of today, Celebrity still doesn't have any official communication in any travel agent portal. Whoever your agency is isn't doing anything but stoking the flames by announcing policies before they are announced by the carrier, something I find to be rather distasteful. The company should be leading the charge on this, not the agencies.

You don't think your initial comments were rude, insulting, patronising or even condescending to the members commenting then?

Anyway, I'll continue to trust the reporting offered by Cruise Critic and feedback from a reputable TA rather than random posters who believe it can't be true because they don't know.

You don't think your initial comments were rude, insulting, patronising or even condescending to the members commenting then?

Anyway, I'll continue to trust the reporting offered by Cruise Critic and feedback from a reputable TA rather than random posters who believe it can't be true because they don't know.

(y)(y)

I find your response rather comical, as I have spoke to several contacts at the home office of Celebrity, no one of whom knows anything about what CruiseCritic is reporting. Until I get a communication from them, it's business as usual, I don't find it beneficial to run business based of rumor and innuendo from message boards. Whatever policy change this is, I will deal with it in the proper manner given to me, and not shout "fire" via a mass email message to clients - that's unprofessional, and doesn't do anything but start pointless dialogue such as this.

I'm with you, Jonny! Stick to being professional. My CVP at Celebrity has told me that as soon as there is a change, he will let me know. For the time being, nothing has changed regarding deposits. Speculation runs rampant. I say, let's hear it from the horses mouth.

Cruise Critic just posted in their news that nonrefundable deposit options for Celebrity will start November 28, 2017.

Here is the link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8181

Also I just noticed on repricing some of the sailings covered under today's promotion that Celebrity's Cruise Care prices have also increased on new bookings .

I would not be surprised if Celebrity makes the nonrefundable program a permanent feature for suites and guarantee categories like Royal Caribbean.

I'm with you, Jonny! Stick to being professional. My CVP at Celebrity has told me that as soon as there is a change, he will let me know. For the time being, nothing has changed regarding deposits. Speculation runs rampant. I say, let's hear it from the horses mouth.

Would CC be able to post this (see kk99’s link above) on their news boards without confirming with X first? This is a genuine question; surely they would have had to gain confirmation from X on the exact date before going to ‘press’ (which they obviously did do & have quoted 28th Nov)?

Would CC be able to post this (see kk99’s link above) on their news boards without confirming with X first? This is a genuine question; surely they would have had to gain confirmation from X on the exact date before going to ‘press’ (which they obviously did do & have quoted 28th Nov)?

Clear to me that celebrity have now announced this policy and some TA are just not in the loop for some reason.

For me, the anchoring effect applies. seeing that lower price will almost always prevent me from booking as I will want the lower price but with flexibility. can't helped but feel jipped.

I am a millennial and we need flexibility as we have busy schedules (well the working ones with disposable income). so i don't foresee how this will grow x's market in the direction that they want to.

I made one booking and quite frankly it will be my last (will do charters with x through a diff company tho assuming i can rebook w/ them). I will enjoy my cruise tho with x :D and soak it up as it will be my last commercial cruise.

All these rigid rules don't sound like modern luxury to me. #justsayin

I'm no where near a millennial but I agree about the feeling of being jipped and also as I am still working full time also need flexibility.

Unfortunately RCCL is already doing this as our other cruise lines, so I don't see where one goes from here.

I'm no where near a millennial but I agree about the feeling of being jipped and also as I am still working full time also need flexibility.

Unfortunately RCCL is already doing this as our other cruise lines, so I don't see where one goes from here.

Which other CL are doing this? As far as I know, CCL and NCL aren't.

Clear to me that celebrity have now announced this policy and some TA are just not in the loop for some reason.

Some TAs may not be in the loop but neither are (some) X planners. I asked mine and she said this was a rumour - Royal may be discussing it and the policy may filter to X...they have NOT been advised or trained re these deposit scenarios. I'm guessing some TAs have 'friends' who may be 'leaking' information?

Some TAs may not be in the loop but neither are (some) X planners. I asked mine and she said this was a rumour - Royal may be discussing it and the policy may filter to X...they have NOT been advised or trained re these deposit scenarios. I'm guessing some TAs have 'friends' who may be 'leaking' information?

Royal has been doing it for a few months or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup. I am locked into the refundable situation. It will be a fun cruise and will enjoy it as if it is my last with x :D....as it probably will be.

Best get on the roll call then. See if anyone can help with that little issue we discussed a couple of weeks ago... :D

X is ok, like everything in life it's what you make of it. :)

I received an email from my TA toward the end of last month stating that X was rolling out non-refundable deposits in November, advising those who were considering booking with X to do so before that happened. The TA who sent the email is a large online TA, well known on cruise critic, who do a high volume of business with Celebrity. We have used them for many years and have always known the info that they distribute to be accurate and reliable.

Best get on the roll call then. See if anyone can help with that little issue we discussed a couple of weeks ago... :D

X is ok, like everything in life it's what you make of it. :)

on roll call already.

I plan on having a blast b/c i am celebrating a special occasion :D

But I cannot continue to do business with them when they put in anticonsumer policies like this that directly affect me and is almost a sure fire way for me to lose money. I cannot do last minute bookings either.

Oh well. I'll just enjoy my trip and not going to dwell on this when there are so many other options. I am not loyal to one particular brand and will go to whoever gives me the best deal.

Edited by CruisingUS

I would prefer refundable deposits even though I take the cruises I have booked. However if they institute this policy and if it makes it easier for me to obtain an accessible cabin, I’m all for it. There are so few balcony accessibles and they are usually all booked up one to two years in advance on the sailings I like. Often I see some released before final payment when it’s often too late or too expensive for me to book.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

on roll call already.

I plan on having a blast b/c i am celebrating a special occasion :D

But I cannot continue to do business with them when they put in anticonsumer policies like this that directly affect me and is almost a sure fire way for me to lose money. I cannot do last minute bookings either.

Oh well. I'll just enjoy my trip and not going to dwell on this when there are so many other options. I am not loyal to one particular brand and will go to whoever gives me the best deal.

You must really love the airlines. I assume you continue to do business with them.

When we browse Royal C, we just ignore the non refundable offers..

At this time we prefer refundable and are willing to pay...unless those rates go sky high to subsidize the non ref deposits with lower fares . If the non ref deposits are low, that would be OK as well Have to see how it works out, just as we did with the go big....go best fares.

Booking early gets us the AQ staterooms we prefer and usually a good price that only goes higher closer to the sail date.

We are just off equinox and many were concerned bc this was reported on cruise critic a week b4 we left and erroneously stated it would be in effect Nov 1(while we were on board) and wouldn't you know the future cruise consultants knew nothing about it and had to call the office and they knew nothing either.. so I'll take this with a grain of salt until it's in affect.

never bought a refundable plane tickets. cant miss something i never had

Miss? No.

anti-consumer level is the same. Non refundable cruise deposit special deals have been around for a long time.

I have always been amazed that cruise deposits have been fully refundable in some markets for so long.

Miss? No.

anti-consumer level is the same. Non refundable cruise deposit special deals have been around for a long time.

I have always been amazed that cruise deposits have been fully refundable in some markets for so long.

true. but i am conditioned to expect a refundable deposit from cruise lines.

one i have to do for business. one is vacation. i can live without a vacation.