Celebrity introducing nonrefundable deposits?

bornabilly

Prefer refundable deposits. I often book a future cruise while cruising. I I take most of them. However, I have canceled and moved the bookings. I have booked dates that are conflicts with other things. I would have to bring my appointment calendar with me. Also, there are bookings that are more expensive than booking with my TA. My TA has placed our booking in a group which saves me money. I would be less apt to book ahead while cruising. I would also not book too far ahead of the embarkation date. In the past I have booked future cruises as much as 2 years out. That would not happen if deposits were not refundable. Things happen. Buying cancel for any reason insurance is costly. Almost 2 years ago I booked a cruise on the Silhouette for this January. Regular insurance wouldn't cover canceling. Luckily, I hadn't reached my final payment date. I also had not bought non-refundable plane tickets. I was able to cancel that cruise without losing any money. If deposits are non-refundable, I would never book a Caribbean cruise until after hurricane season has past. Since I am retired and somewhat flexible, I can wait to book.

Prefer refundable deposits. I often book a future cruise while cruising. I I take most of them. However, I have canceled and moved the bookings. I have booked dates that are conflicts with other things. I would have to bring my appointment calendar with me. Also, there are bookings that are more expensive than booking with my TA. My TA has placed our booking in a group which saves me money. I would be less apt to book ahead while cruising. I would also not book too far ahead of the embarkation date. In the past I have booked future cruises as much as 2 years out. That would not happen if deposits were not refundable. Things happen. Buying cancel for any reason insurance is costly. Almost 2 years ago I booked a cruise on the Silhouette for this January. Regular insurance wouldn't cover canceling. Luckily, I hadn't reached my final payment date. I also had not bought non-refundable plane tickets. I was able to cancel that cruise without losing any money. If deposits are non-refundable, I would never book a Caribbean cruise until after hurricane season has past. Since I am retired and somewhat flexible, I can wait to book.

WOW needed to get my violin out for this one. How do you think Uk customers have coped with totally non-refundable deposits. Yes we buy travel insurance. Maybe you all might have to do that now. :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

WOW needed to get my violin out for this one. How do you think Uk customers have coped with totally non-refundable deposits. Yes we buy travel insurance. Maybe you all might have to do that now. :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

The more informed UK cruisers have had access to non refundable deposit for decades. We just book in the US.

Now, let me go and get my violin out for you... :D :D :D

The more informed UK cruisers have had access to non refundable deposit for decades. We just book in the US.

Yep play the violin for me not using Celebrity again and dealing more with good UK cruise lines. You should try it instead of fiddling in the USA.

Most of the UK travelers I have met, even going back 10 years ago, seem to use US based travel agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’d like to think I’m a pretty informed cruiser, have used a US travel agent on a couple of occasions in the past, but have decided that I’m in more control of things using a UK based one. I found the time difference a bit of a pain when I needed something and had my fingers burned with exchange risk. I just look for a price I’m happy to pay in £££s. A level playing field for deposits to stop phantom bookings would be welcome though.

Phil

I’d like to think I’m a pretty informed cruiser, have used a US travel agent on a couple of occasions in the past, but have decided that I’m in more control of things using a UK based one. I found the time difference a bit of a pain when I needed something and had my fingers burned with exchange risk. I just look for a price I’m happy to pay in £££s. A level playing field for deposits to stop phantom bookings would be welcome though.

Phil

Never had problems with the time difference, the extended opening hours of our TA help I guess. Exchange rate is a risk if you don't pay in full at the time, but yet to be caught out. Brexit is a very real danger there though as I can't see the pound strengthening against the dollar significantly any time soon. The refundable deposit is a 'get out of jail free card' if there was a global event that resulted in any significant change though.

Post was aimed at the nameless one who's forever whinging about a lost deposit. Been there myself, it's all part of the game to me. Lots of parallels with trading in shares as long as you're happy with the prices you deal at, all is good.

Phantom bookings used to annoy me but then I realised if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

UK pricing is definitely improving against US pricing , it even beats it on occasions these days. I know UK TA's have been annoyed for years that they can't compete, now they seem to have more of a chance. They don't seem as likely to entice customers with sacrificing part of their commissions as much as the US TA's do though. Maybe if they tried to emulate the go bigger, better best promotions or even tried to create their own promotion they'd do better. Just my two penneth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just booked 2019 and 2020 cruises this week while onboard Reflection and both are with the refundable option for the deposit. This is not a special offer for booking onboard, anyone can opt for a refundable deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I was on a very popular cruise travel agency website and there was a note that deposits on the the new deployment 2019-2020 cruises were nonrefundable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I just did a mock booking for Sept 2019 and you get a choice. Non Refundable is $3111 pp and refundable is $3299 pp

Yes now Celebrity are charging extra if you want your depoist to be refundable... some agencies are not giving you a choice & blaming it on Celebrity ... So be careful

for me from now on it will be last minute bookings instead of my 2 years out as one never knows what life will dish up in 2 years...

Celebrity I do not think non refundable deposits are a good move....

I definitely don't like the non-refundable deposit policy, but I guess they made the change because of many people scheduling multiple cruises they had no intention of taking, but using them as place holders until they made up their minds. It kind of stinks for folks who only made reservations they intended to take. Oh well... time to change booking strategy.

Yes Celebrity has been notorious for changing the rules in the middle of the game for a few years now. However while the non refundable deposit isn't good for you, it is for them or they wouldn't be doing it. Sry.

I don't like this change either, but I don't see how this is "the middle of the game". It seems like they are starting it with new deployments. Also, if there is always a slightly higher priced refundable option, that should be fine for most people.

Celebrity I do not think non refundable deposits are a good move....

It is what we in the UK have always had. You will get used to it. It means we only book cruises ( and other holidays) that we are going to take rather than make speculative bookings. Yes, I agree that you don’t know what might happen 2 years out, but that doesn’t stop us planning and booking. We can always move the booking (for fee) to another cruise.

We don’t get price drops either, once booked your price is locked in. Guess you can look forward to that one coming to you at some point.

I just booked a few rooms with Royal. I would think the non refundable terms would be the same. I had to put a deposit of 900 per room. I went with the non refundable after calling them twice to verify how it works. They told me that if I canceled before the final payment I would loose 200 and the remaining 700 would go on an fcc(future cruise voucher) that is good for one year. I asked them if I need to be on the new ship in one year or commit to a cruise in one year. They told me I only had to commit. So if I commit to a cruise that is 18 months out after waiting a year to use the fcc that gives me 2.5 years to do another cruise with Royal. That sounded extremely fair to me.