Whos done a 3 day cruise before?

matymil

I have to admit, when I first read the question, I thought to myself "WHO wouldn't want to go on a 3 day cruise"?! After all, to me, ANY cruise is worth it. And still is. I've read the responses, and I'm sure there are plenty of opinions. So here's mine: I would go on a 3 day cruise in a heartbeat, and always will! I have cruised out of Port Canaveral and Jax for 3 days and loved each one. We aren't boozers, but enjoy relaxing with a few drinks. For us, this was a way to affordably purchase the Cheers package, to try different drinks and relax. I haven't found my 3 day cruises to be "booze cruises". In fact, some of the nicest people I've met have been on these shorter cruises. The ONLY booze cruise I ever experienced was on a 7 day cruise, during a spring break situation. And I still had a great time, but avoided the groups that I came to recognize as the rowdier ones. We also chose to NOT leave the ship. We took advantage of the port days to get discounts on massages, read books, nap in the serenity areas (where on port days have more available seating) and relax.

My wife and I just recently got a decent sized airfare voucher and wanted to go away to FL for afew days. We quickly realized that spending the first night in Orlando and then doing a 3 day cruise would be cheaper that just staying at a hotel. We are treating the 3day cruise like we are staying at a resort...its going to Nassau so we aren't getting off the ship. Besides the obvious (its short) what are some pros/cons (or tips) from people that have done 3 day sailings before? Just looking to get most out of short time on board :)

We have done before and are booked to do again 3 day cruises. We do like you, treat it like a resort where we have nowhere to be and don't plan on getting off in Nassau. We're not big party people so whatever late night partying is going on doesn't impact us. We just want a relaxing 2 days away from work and home. Definitely a younger crowd and never seem to find food as good as longer cruises. If a DJ cranks up on the lido deck we'll vacate.

I should note: I can drive to Fort Lauderdale in 45 minutes and Miami in an hour 15. I work remotely so I could even work a half day Friday and still make the ship no problem (I take the whole day off anyway) and I walk off Monday morning before any of my scheduled meetings. So no airfare plus using an absolute minimum of time off work helps.

It's a waste of time.

If poster opted to fly to Orlando for a 4 night vacation would that be a waste of time as well ? Not everyone can or wants to take a longer vacation. I have done 3 and 4 day cruises a few times. They are a lot of fun. Certainly more fun then spending hours on line at expensive theme parks..

My wife and I just recently got a decent sized airfare voucher and wanted to go away to FL for afew days. We quickly realized that spending the first night in Orlando and then doing a 3 day cruise would be cheaper that just staying at a hotel. We are treating the 3day cruise like we are staying at a resort...its going to Nassau so we aren't getting off the ship. Besides the obvious (its short) what are some pros/cons (or tips) from people that have done 3 day sailings before? Just looking to get most out of short time on board :)

This sounds like a cruise to invest in a balcony cabin, and enjoy the serenity of your own space. Venture out for meals, maybe some dancing in the evening, and if your ship offers it, a comedy show. Indulge in a massage. Find the steam room and sauna and unwind. It sounds like a wonderful alternative to a hotel to me (especially in Orlando)! :)

I did a 3 day cruise last May...it was to introduce 2 of my friends to cruising. It was on Liberty out of Port Canaveral.

I did not see it as a booze cruise. Neither did I see any drunks on there. The stigma that these short cruises are booze cruises are very misleading; unless you are on NCL bar inclusive ship.

It was a very nice relaxing 3 days. Yes, it was very short, but I had a great time, and I told them I would never do it again.

I have not done a 3-day with Carnival, but have with Disney. (Not my choice, but it was paid for, so what the heck!)

If you want three good days on the boat, then it can be really relaxing. If you are determined to get off and spend as much time as possible in ports, it can be exhausting. You might find you need a vacation from your vacation.

I haven't done a 3-day, but based on my experiences with 5-day cruises I absolutely would not book one. The first day is pretty much shot because of standing in line waiting to get on the ship and the muster drill. The last day they usually kick you off first thing in the morning so that day doesn't really count either. And frankly for us what works out to really be a 2 day cruise isn't worth the hassle of embarkation and debarkation, which I find to be very hectic, stressful, and agitating. I try to get a 7 day if I can, at least 5 if not.

Three day on the Majesty is great. We do not drink much, nor do we party. We had a great time... stayed on the ship in Nassau.. and enjoyed Coco Cay.

Have a great time.

I'm wondering the % of people who stay on the ship in Nassau lol

I live about 4 hours from Las Vegas. There are millions of people who love a weekend in Vegas, gambling and dining and taking in sights. A 3-day cruise is nothing more or less than a Vegas-like adventure. It's quick and relatively inexpensive. It's not a vacation per se, it's a couple of days out of the house.

We certainly take vacations, a week or more at a time, but those take more leave and money than I may have at the moment.

That's the point of a 3-day cruise.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I live in NJ and people go down the shore for a long weekend or up in the Poconos (which ive done several times). We are calling it a getaway not a vacation :) Maybe that will help our mindset

That's exactly what I was thinking. I live in NJ and people go down the shore for a long weekend or up in the Poconos (which ive done several times).

We are calling it a getaway not a vacation :) Maybe that will help our mindset

Memories... We live in PA, and a few years ago, flew to FL for a three-day winter cruise/getaway.

The cruise was what we expected, however...

On the plane(incubator) on way down, some people were coughing, sneezing and blowing their nose.

I gave them dirty looks. :evilsmile:

On the second day of the cruise, I developed a scratchy throat.

And on our flight back North, I was coughing, sneezing and blowing me nose.

(Paybacks)...People were giving me dirty looks.:eek: ;)

Take care of your health, and I wish you the best.

Edited by $hip$hape

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Florida so its a cheap weekend getaway for us. If you go when the schools are in session it should be no different than any other cruise. Vacation times are probably the problem. Never had a problem.

I live in Florida so its a cheap weekend getaway for us.

If you go when the schools are in session it should be no different than any other cruise.

Vacation times are probably the problem. Never had a problem.

You, living in FL... Yes, you are fortunate.

In a few weeks, we will meet our FL relatives for a "free" four-day cruise coming up

Thanksgiving weekend, on the Independence of the Seas...

(Total of about $800.00 for our selected flights.)

No regrets on our part, however, short cruises are something other "northerners" should consider when paying for flights to Florida.:)

We plan on an Australian cruise/vacation, but only after we are both retired, and can spend more than two weeks time..

Edited by $hip$hape

Oh, boy! Be prepared! Any short cruise—under 6 days—is considered a booze cruise! Full of all nighter party animals that drink far more than they should and do stupid things! Lol! Have fun! I make it a rule to never book a cruise under 7 days. I understand your thinking and logic, just be aware of the atmosphere your sailing away with.

Oh, boy! Be prepared! Any short cruise—under 6 days—is considered a booze cruise!

Full of all nighter party animals that drink far more than they should and do stupid things! Lol! Have fun!

I make it a rule to never book a cruise under 7 days.

I understand your thinking and logic, just be aware of the atmosphere your sailing away with.

I'm curious grandma; looking at you signature, have you cruised since 2015?

I'm curious grandma; looking at you signature, have you cruised since 2015?

Yes. Oasis in 2015. NCL Getaway in January 2017, and NCL Getaway again this coming January. Once I return, I will be booking the Carnival Breeze for January 2019. I took a break from cruising from 2008 to the Oasis cruise, as I recovered from 2 major surgeries a year apart, and finished a long career before retiring in January 2016. Spent that winter in Florida looking for a retirement home, rather than cruising. I cruised 5 Carnival ships before the Oasis in 2015.

Yes. Oasis in 2015. NCL Getaway in January 2017, and NCL Getaway again this coming January. Once I return, I will be booking the Carnival Breeze for January 2019. I took a break from cruising from 2008 to the Oasis cruise, as I recovered from 2 major surgeries a year apart, and finished a long career before retiring in January 2016. Spent that winter in Florida looking for a retirement home, rather than cruising. I cruised 5 Carnival ships before the Oasis in 2015.

I forgot—I also cruised the Indy in 2014. [emoji4]