Seriously? No hair appliances?

gordosgone15

Just heard of policy change. Hard to believe curling iron and straighteners are no longer allowed. Deal breaker for many women. If this had come out before final payment, I would have cancelled.

Where did you read this policy change???

I haven't heard anything about it and yours is the only post about it.

Here's the full list of what's not permitted from NCL website:

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles

It clearly says this, so not to fear: ITEMS WITH HEATING ELEMENTS OR OPEN FLAMES

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

I fully reaalise that as a bloke I could be expected to assume a flat iron was for putting creases in my trousers and taking them out of my shirts and that a "head safe" is a crash helmet. However, I would also not expect a female to understand that if any piece of beauty equipment that gets warm and needs to be plugged into a wall socket such as a hair curler would have to have a heating element in it.:confused:

I fully reaalise that as a bloke I could be expected to assume a flat iron was for putting creases in my trousers and taking them out of my shirts and that a "head safe" is a crash helmet. However, I would also not expect a female to understand that if any piece of beauty equipment that gets warm and needs to be plugged into a wall socket such as a hair curler would have to have a heating element in it.:confused:

Seriously? And so, from that, I guess you wouldn't expect there to be any female Electronic Engineers nor Master Electricians, nor Tier 3 Technicians, is that correct? Many women are far more advanced than you obviously know. :confused:

OK, but if these thingies have an electric plug on the end of a cable and when plugged into an electric socket they warm up they must contain a heating element - no rumor and no fake news. The main point is do NCL enforce the prohibitions given in their Ts and Cs or not? If a jobsworth on the ship decides these thingies shouldn't be plugged into the ship because they are part of the "...but not limited to..." in No 21, on the Prohibited Item List they would be held and returned at the end of the cruise.

I doubt this would happen to these thingies, but if it does, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in arguing your point so if they are truly super essential, carry on ignoring the rules, just make sure you do not leave them plugged in when you are not in the cabin or I suspect they would be removed by the room steward.

Seriously? And so, from that, I guess you wouldn't expect there to be any female Electronic Engineers nor Master Electricians, nor Tier 3 Technicians, is that correct? Many women are far more advanced than you obviously know. :confused:

And the sooner there are a lot more of them, the safer we will all be and the more chance there will be that I will expect to come across their eminently sensible views where electricity is concerned.:)

Read this on another thread called "Hair Straigteners". It was posted Oct. 28.

Cool Cruiser

1 Posts

Joined Aug 2016

[/url] #20

1 Posts

Joined Aug 2016

Posted October 28th, 2017, 03:29 PM

I just talked to NCL's customer service and they said that both straighteners and curling irons are no longer allowed. That when I eventually check in there will be a new list of prohibited items and those are explicitly on it. clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

Quote multiquote_off.gif

OK, but if these thingies have an electric plug on the end of a cable and when plugged into an electric socket they warm up they must contain a heating element - no rumor and no fake news. The main point is do NCL enforce the prohibitions given in their Ts and Cs or not? If a jobsworth on the ship decides these thingies shouldn't be plugged into the ship because they are part of the "...but not limited to..." in No 21, on the Prohibited Item List they would be held and returned at the end of the cruise.

I doubt this would happen to these thingies, but if it does, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in arguing your point so if they are truly super essential, carry on ignoring the rules, just make sure you do not leave them plugged in when you are not in the cabin or I suspect they would be removed by the room steward.

Post #11 clearly shows the exception, thus allowing hair curlers/straighteners. Yes, things might have changed, but people taking on these appliances previously have not been breaking the rules.

Strange... I just spoke with NCL Customer Service rep and she without hesitation confirmed that “hair straighteners” are permitted without issue. So be sure to pack a “hair straightener” and not your “flat iron”. We are sailing Sunday and I don’t dare travel without it, especially in humid climates! I’m hoping they didn’t get the word down to the inspectors of my luggage... I will have to wait and see what happens in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just heard of policy change. Hard to believe curling iron and straighteners are no longer allowed. Deal breaker for many women. If this had come out before final payment, I would have cancelled.

Really??? You’d cancel a cruise over that?? Sorry. I think that’s silly, that’s all, but I’ve never been one to mess with my hair. It’s either super short or long and straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is NOT true...if it were, women would NOT cruise. Bring any and all hair appliances! The only 'iron" not allowed is a clothes iron.

They wouldn't? I haven't allowed either of those to touch my hair in 30 years. Yet you believe that "women would NOT (capitalized, even) cruise"? Get a grip on reality.