Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Dear Jeff, though dedicated to Lois, I'm saving this little gem of suggestions since we hardly have touched upon Venice. We have done the main sights and have walked aimlessly, enjoying every step, but will need to return for a more in-depth, less touristy stay. Thanks for sharing!!

Dear Jeff, though dedicated to Lois, I'm saving this little gem of suggestions since we hardly have touched upon Venice. We have done the main sights and have walked aimlessly, enjoying every step, but will need to return for a more in-depth, less touristy stay. Thanks for sharing!!

Hi C .....

When you get to planning mode do ask. I've posted a few times on Venice, but these two might be of interest from a few years ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=41855275&postcount=23

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=41907240&postcount=26

I’m from the other side of town- Stormont. I think you must have had a much tougher time of it than I but like you have no truck with bigotry of any shade of orange or green.

I've always thought that if the Stormont Estate were on the mainland you wouldn't be able to get near it for coachloads of American and Japanese tourists. It really is a magnificent bit of real estate. Yet I took my elder son there last May and we were the only living souls there except for a bloke walking his dog. After a while an open-top bus stopped by the Carson statue, paused for half a minute and moved on.

I haven’t been back for years so haven’t been to the Aviva, just seen it on tv. It does look grand though so maybe we will get there one day. We may actually get back to Belfast later this year but I really fancy going in on a Silversea ship. I am always tickled at the thought of a coach load of SS guests going on an excursion to Somewhere like Donaghadee.

And how far is that from Bangor again? We are booked on a TA next year on the Wind that was originally scheduled to stop at Cork, Dublin, Waterford and Belfast but is now only calling at Waterford. It's disappointing because my OH has never been to Dublin - I know, I know, it's a fine city but a small one - so we are going across for a couple of days later in the year. Dublin has become awfully touristy and not just in the Temple Bar area although that is now quite intolerable after dark. There seems to be every language and accent represented on the streets the scarcest of which seems to be the Dublin accent!

My father played for Inst but never got to Lansdowne Road, that must have been quite a day for your father.
Indeed it was. At Methody he was coached by the late Jackie Kyle - one of the icons of Irish rugby - and is still, at the age of 86, far more athletic and jaunty than anyone of his age deserves to be. He always tried to convince me that the only real players had a shirt number in double figures but I was happier at 9 being a little squirt!
To my shame, I have never been to Cork or Kerry. Up the Amazon, yes, but ignored my own country. That will have to be rectified. You’d prefer to go South rather than North?

Yes, largely because my OH (fair English rose that she is) is still convinced that anywhere North of the border puts us in danger of being shot, petrol-bombed or forced to eat champ. She has only visited one time - about 8 years ago - and conceded that rural Fermanagh was delightful, the Antrim coast stunning but detested Belfast, which might have something to do with my driving her round the Shankill, Ardoyne, Lower Falls, Andersonstown, Turf Lodge, Short Strand etc.

Also the South has very much changed in the last quarter century or so and has become a progressive, modern and outward-looking country. I like that. If you visit the South-West you'll understand why it appeals to couples like us who love the wide and wild outdoors.

We've lived in many parts of the world and don't find new places or cultures too taxing and don't feel bound or rooted in a notional nationality or geographical location. Except during the 6 nations, of course!

Great sharing, Jeff! We've never been to Murano nor Burano and we should do this next time we visit. Unfortunately, it won't be in the near future as DH has music-driven land trips all through the next year.... Hope to see you and wife in October!!

Very much looking forward to it .... hope you pencil in lot's of time for a proper lunch with us. :)

Mysty - that is truly wonderful news regarding the SIL. I hope his recovery continues to go smoothly!

Cam - we are close enough to DC to be at risk in the event of a nuclear threat, but far enough away to avoid the Beltway crowd. We had ice yesterday and a prediction for more ice tomorrow. I would much rather have snow so I could use my wonderful Canadian snow blower and tractor!

I keep telling myself - we will be in Sydney next week! Yippee.

Thanks JP!!!! Yes, it was very scary for such a long time. Sepsis in the picture and that just stopped everyone's breath. It takes great stamina to work in that environment! I get the need for fun adventures on a regular basis in order to stay sane! :) Enjoy your birthday trip!

Thanks JP!!!! Yes, it was very scary for such a long time. Sepsis in the picture and that just stopped everyone's breath. It takes great stamina to work in that environment! I get the need for fun adventures on a regular basis in order to stay sane! :) Enjoy your birthday trip!

:):):)

Mysty, glad things are getting better:)

OK......have a couple of really nice looking hotels and am going to spend the extra money..this is really a big birthday gift from me to me..........

Do any of you know these 2 places in Venice........they look beautiful...........

Bauer Palazzo and Monaco & Grand Canal.............any input from any of you?

Edited by Lois R

Mysty, glad things are getting better:)

OK......have a couple of really nice looking hotels and am going to spend the extra money..this is really a big birthday gift from me to me..........

Do any of you know these 2 places in Venice........they look beautiful...........

Bauer Palazzo and Monaco & Grand Canal.............any input from any of you?

Lois, I do not have any personal experience of either and their ratings in TA seem similar as is there position.

I suggest that you email both hotels - it's fairly easy to track down the emails of the GM - and explain that you are a solo visitor planning a landmark trip and asking what they might be able to do to make your trip really memorable and extra special and that if booking directly rather than through a website or agent whether they might be prepared to offer you an upgrade of any sort. Then base part of your judgement on how quickly they respond and how helpful they are.

Good luck.

Lois. We are off to Venice for a month in October so I have been watching (no make that time wasting / dreaming) webcams. I googled Venice webcams and a surprising many are available.

Many hotels have them - I saw Hotel Monaco and Grand has one but down for maintenance just now. I have Hotel Concordia webcam in favourites, but I also like some that overlook The Grand Canal.

We stay in apartments so can’t help with hotels. Venice is small and easy to walk around, with the vaporettos to jump on when you get tired, lost or just want to enjoy the views.

Everyone complains that the crowds are getting worse but if you get out early or in the evening around the most popular sites it is a little less crowded. If you wander off the main drags between the railway, cruise ports and St Marks you will find it much quieter.

I love finding a cafe off the beaten track, sitting with an aperol spritz and watching the world go by.

You will have a wonderful birthday trip.

Hi, thanks for the replies:):D:)........Jeff, good idea but they do show a couple of specials on line......breakfast included and a booking discount when you pre-pay.

Have a great day everyone:)

Greetings Coolers! More snow today!

Last night Myster made wings with a homemade blue cheese dip. Delicious! He is really coming into his own in the kitchen! And on the slightly downside I am gaining weight. Small price to pay though! :)

And speaking of snow, today's funny.......

untitled.png

Or of course (not to be excluding anyone).....shoveling any driveway!

Have a great day all!

"I've always thought that if the Stormont Estate were on the mainland you wouldn't be able to get near it for coachloads of American and Japanese tourists. It really is a magnificent bit of real estate. Yet I took my elder son there last May and we were the only living souls there except for a bloke walking his dog. After a while an open-top bus stopped by the Carson statue, paused for half a minute and moved on"

Tothesunset, sorry I can't manage the pretty way to extract bits of your reply so this will have to do, it was something of a badge of honour for us to be able to ride our bikes down the big hill at Stormont without holding on to the handlebars. It was flipping terrifying and I think I only managed it once and with my eyes shut.

Lois - if you are into Old Masters, then don't miss the Tintorettos (Tintoretti??) at the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice, amazing place, think Sistine Chapel without the crowds.

Rp