Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Hi JP, that dish looks lovely. I'm afraid I'm back to the deep fat fryer for the potatoes. Par-boiled then thrice fried. Everything goes around.

The ragu-cook-fest this week reminded me how so many meals are inexpensive for those who might find themselves through whatever circumstances on extremely low budgets. I consider linguine and ragu as being a pretty decent - dare I say - luxurious meal and as you'd expect from me as I like to improve by learning and adjusting so I always keep a spreadsheet for things like the large quantity of ragu I make for the freezer. I also keep records on how I make my bread. It means that if she says that she wants the ragu more "tomaty" then I know what I added last time and can increase it next time. I also noted that even using prime ingredients ie Aberdeen Angus mince beef, organic pork mince, non-nitrate and no water added streaky bacon, good quality passata and paste with a decent slug of Rosso etc etc that the 500gm portion of sauce for two was around £1.70. The dry pasta around 30p for two, and I'm using a well rated pasta which I a stock of when on offer. That means that the meal is around a pound each. What kills it is the aged parmesan and the Rioja. But what it shows is that people can live extremely well on a really small budget. Wifey also looks forward to cod fish cakes and home made parsely sauce and peas. Again pretty inexpensive.

This isn't about saving cash because we are fortunate. But it is about recognising that spending lot's doesn;t always provide more pleasure. I made some french bread tonight and the cost of the loaf was less than the cost of buying a bread roll which is pretty stale by the time you open it. What these things lead me to is the wish that more people on really restricted incomes were mentored and shown how they could eat well with a little thought and planning and preperation. We see lot's of programmes on TV designed to show inaccessible food or for people on big budgets but there is so little to help people enjoy really great healthy food on limited budgets.

Anyway, tommorow, I'm planning a nice big onion focaccia cooked in the pizza oven for lunch with some red wine. The dough is hydrating overnight and I'm thinking of using onions, roasted red peppers, olives and anchovy with some oregano in the mix.

There might be more to life than lunch but for the life of me I haven't found anything better. :)

JP...your meal looks and sounds wonderful!

J...I think for many people it all boils down to priorities. Where the money available should be most enjoyably and efficiently spent. Wonderful meals are a priority for some and yet not for all. I do agree that cooking classes and budgeting should be taught in schools. At least then people would have the resources needed to make informed choices. And I firmly support the choices on offer here! :)

JP, that dish looks delicious.

We are lucky that at weekends they sell fish off 3 trawlers from different regions of Victorian waters. It is very fresh. No crab legs though!

Jeff, your ragu makes my mouth water. My husband makes a pretty good one, so I am lucky too.

When we lived in Queensland, many years ago, I mentored low income families through Lifeline. One of the the main things we did was shopping and cooking. We found many families lived on takeaway and tinned food.

I hope I helped some people change their food choices and are happy and healthy now. I live in hope!

We are 3 days away from our removal and I’ve just cleaned the oven. I hope the new owner thinks it is sparkling.

Sad to leave as we have lived here for 16 years, but the time has come to move into the retirement village. I’m looking forward to having the golf course and pools around the corner, a short walk away!

Jill

Hi All......have been trying to keep up with all the news and it's great to see the cooler so lively.

It's been such a busy time here and also a very sad one as my son in laws father loses his fight from the dreaded disease. The kids have been travelling up and down to Hampshire which is taking it toll so I've been juggling between the renovation work here and ensuring they are stocked up at home with essentials and leaving meals for them.

It seems a lot of us are having hard times at the moment so my thoughts are with you all.

😊

And now for something entirely different!

I'm not sure how SS does their brochure mailings, but we (in the USA??) recently received a smaller issue that included the Med. It had a cover that showed a young man in suspenders with his tricked out Fiat. I loved that cover! Upon further reading, I see that it was done by photographer Steve McCurry. He did the famous Nat Geo cover with the "Afghan Girl", several years ago. I realize that SS is a cruise company. However I find it refreshing to see a cover that isn't a ship.....or a butler opening a door.....or a glass of champagne.....OR the dreaded covers that look like Vogue with a model in flowing garb.

After reading more, apparently SS will be using Steve's work more.....I look forward to that!

Pretty nippy here in the Hudson Valley. About 12 out this am with a crunchy icy topping on the snow. At least it's Friday!

Have a good weekend, all!

Linda

Oh wow. THAT National Geographic cover. What a photo. You know that they found her (the subject) about 15 years later, and did an article about her? And I think, if memory serves, she was recently deported back to Afghanistan.

Edited to add the article. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/09/501424308/woman-in-iconic-afghan-girl-photo-deported-back-to-afghanistan

S, sending comforting thoughts to you and your family. And to all else whose families are struggling with health issues.

Didn't take anything out of the freezer for dinner tonight. Will have to see what inspires us when we get home... If I weren't on call, it would be a great night for a wine and cheese dinner. With extra wine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

A reason why some of us still think BA can sometimes be very special ......

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29387945-post1.html

For those seeking help with acronyms ....

WT+ - World Traveller Plus, premium economy

TA - Travel agent, American Express corporate travel agency in this case.

PNR - Booking reference (Passenger Name Record) used for airlines and trains. Always referred to as PNR, not many people know the full version.

T class - Lowest fare bucket for World Traveller Plus

CSD - Cabin Service Director - the Senior Cabin Crew Member on BA's Worldwide crews, the guy or gal with the silver-blue tie or cravat.

J - Club World / business class. Also the most expensive fare bucket in Club World.

How heartening to know that there was not just one person, but a whole team of people ready to put themselves out in this instance. I am sure other airlines would have helped but good to hear that BA got it right this time.

Nowhere near a cold as 12 degrees here but chilly enough. I am off to stand at the bus stop for precisely 1 minute before I succumb to temptation and get a cab home. No idea what's for supper but unlike JP , at least my OH is not on call this evening so a bottle could be cracked open. I don't generally drink when he can't, it seems double mean to do so.

Have as good a weekend as possible, everyone

Rp

I am sure other airlines would have helped but good to hear that BA got it right this time.

Rp

I disagree. I feel that full credit should be given where it is clearly due.

The poster was on a non-flexible lowest price ticket. The restrictions were waived and all the other special arrangements put into place whilst he was physically traveling to the airport. I don't share your confidence in "other airlines" responding as quickly and without any charge whatsoever.

This was in my view exceptional service and care and quite unique.

I disagree. I feel that full credit should be given where it is clearly due.

The poster was on a non-flexible lowest price ticket. The restrictions were waived and all the other special arrangements put into place whilst he was physically traveling to the airport. I don't share your confidence in "other airlines" responding as quickly and without any charge whatsoever.

This was in my view exceptional service and care and quite unique.

You may well be right. I hope, however, you are not and that, in any event, I never have to put my “confidence” to that particular test.

Rp

Just read an interesting article about a controversial fruit called "durian" which is somewhat popular in Singapore. The description of the fruit does not sound appealing and yet it has market stalls devoted to it and fans who visit those markets. According to the article:

"The durian, if you are not acquainted with it, is a pungent fruit which on the outside looks like a cross between a giant kiwi fruit and a hedgehog. Inside the yellow flesh resembles a decayed kidney and smells like rotting rubbish. Its pong has got it banned from hotels, carry-on luggage and subway systems in Singapore; the sign proscribing it looks as if the city-state has outlawed spiky hand-grenades or a pernicious whoopee cushion."

https://www.1843magazine.com/dispatches/the-great-durian-divide

Any experience with a durian J? And your food pics are yummy as usual.

Mike...my teeth ached with the Creme Egg Pizza pic. :)

Mysty,

That fruit is a frequent challenge in the food basket in cooking shows in the USA. Most chefs haven't used it, and once they open it, noses are upturned.

Taste has to get beyond smell.

Thanks for sharing that!

And that Cadbury pizza...just obscenely insanely sweet. I am game. Don't eat the foil, that's too over the top.

Today is National Bagel Day and National Pizza Day...

I think any bread will be appropriate.

Tomorrow is National Umbrella Day, a day to celebrate Mary Poppins, Renoir, ducks and wellies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

National Pizza Day AND National Bagel Day? OMG.......2 of my MOST favorite things:D:D:D

I have been having issues with posting and I put a post on the "Glitch and Bug Thread" but no moderator has helped.........

This may not make sense but I will try to explain..........for some reason the font AND the size of the font changes when I type......and when I submit it goes back to what I want it to be......AND normally when you click on the icons (which are to the left of this typing box)well, normally when I click on the one I want, it shows up in here.......well now, it does not show up until AFTER I hit "submit reply":eek:.........is there something I clicked on by accident to cause this all happen?:(...............would any of you know how to fix it?

Just very weird......the font should not change automatically:(...........what did I do?

And Mysty,

Speaking of things that reek and are fetid beyond belief, what do you think of mr Orangeman and his latest defense of domestic violence?

Spins....this stance is not really a big surprise. Obviously your lead in to the question rings true for me AND I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect anything else. Unfortunately! My sympathies!