Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Mmm bacon!

When we were in Bilbao years ago, we walked to the metro and took that into town. Then we caught the shuttle back at the end of the day.

Many of us dislike the Patriots, in varying degrees, for different reasons. They are so successful that this sometimes leads to resentment, or to a sense that they "must" be doing something dishonest.

Americans have a strange relationship with success. Underdogs succeeding is wonderful. Repetitive success can get annoying. Exhibit A, NY Yankees, AKA the "Evil Empire."

Plus I identify with New York. The whole Yankees-Red Sox rivalry makes it a sure bet that I can't root for a Boston team!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Mmm bacon!

When we were in Bilbao years ago, we walked to the metro and took that into town. Then we caught the shuttle back at the end of the day.

Many of us dislike the Patriots, in varying degrees, for different reasons. They are so successful that this sometimes leads to resentment, or to a sense that they "must" be doing something dishonest.

Americans have a strange relationship with success. Underdogs succeeding is wonderful. Repetitive success can get annoying. Exhibit A, NY Yankees, AKA the "Evil Empire."

Plus I identify with New York. The whole Yankees-Red Sox rivalry makes it a sure bet that I can't root for a Boston team!

Spoken like a true New Yorker!

I respect the talent of the Patriots and the longevity of Tom Brady, however they've won so much already. Time for some new blood....and we got it! Fly Eagles Fly!

I am ignoring the sprouts on page 82 but may I ask a cruise question, even though this is a non-cruise thread? I know Camillus and Terry stopped in Bilbao last year, did the ships provided a shuttle from the port to Bilbao?

And to bring this back to a non-cruise note, why do so many Americans seem to dislike the Patriots? Is it just that the Eagles were in a final at last?

To the sunset, I agree re Sir Johnny - I was watching the last moments from the hallway, through a crack in the door. Not sure why I thought that would help in any way at all, but it seemed to do the trick.

Rp

HI, I will take part of the football question.........sometimes in sports, when there is a team that ALWAYS wins, peoople

get tired of that team........really tired of them:eek:..........and other reasons more specific.........my team was less than 10 minutes away from beating them and so I definitely didn't want them to win.........it is not like I am a big Eagles fan......

whoever would have played the Pats is who I would have rooted for...........oh, those 10 minutes? If we had beat

them, We would be the ones who would have played the Eagles.........

JP Albany -

I remember "watching" Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris on my radio when I was a kid. (We had no TV.) They were the best! That of course was before the Dodgers and Giants deserted New York for California. That was the beginning of the end for me.

Smiles for all the Phillie fans. I am not a football fan, but I enjoyed the game a lot.

The ice is beginning to melt here in the mid-atlantic.

To the sunset, I agree re Sir Johnny - I was watching the last moments from the hallway, through a crack in the door. Not sure why I thought that would help in any way at all, but it seemed to do the trick.

I loved Connor Murray in the post-match interview almost apologising for the ''football style'' celebration when the drop-kick went over.

I didn't get to Stade for this game but in Rugby the fans mix freely and the atmosphere is always fun - regardless of the outcome. Made it to all the Ireland games at the last World Cup - wonderful atmosphere. (I'm gently humming ''The Fields of Athenry'' as I type.) Contrast that with football (soccer) where there is an all-pervading sense of tribalism and threat. I go to watch Leicester City play and walking to and from the ground really demonstrates how, for some of the fans, millions of years of evolution seem to have been wasted!

I loved Connor Murray in the post-match interview almost apologising for the ''football style'' celebration when the drop-kick went over.

I didn't get to Stade for this game but in Rugby the fans mix freely and the atmosphere is always fun - regardless of the outcome. Made it to all the Ireland games at the last World Cup - wonderful atmosphere. (I'm gently humming ''The Fields of Athenry'' as I type.) Contrast that with football (soccer) where there is an all-pervading sense of tribalism and threat. I go to watch Leicester City play and walking to and from the ground really demonstrates how, for some of the fans, millions of years of evolution seem to have been wasted!

I had to go hunting for the Conor Murray interview, but found it eventually, thanks for the info.

Rubgy has always been more civilised than football, IMO.

At the height of the "Troubles" I was able to go from Belfast to rugby internationals at Lansdowne Road with a group of school friends without any trouble or hassle at all- apart from the slight concern that the train might not make it. The matches themselves were absolutely safe, if not entirely savoury- ending up somehow in the middle of the Welsh crowd was a bit of an eye-opener for us delicately reared girls.

I don't understand why football has to be so do much more threatening? Ruby is much more aggressive on the pitch - maybe that dissipates any tribalism.

I just hope we don't lose to Italy now!

Rp

Good Afternoon Coolers!

A busy morning making an enormous vat of ragu for the freezer and some focaccia for todays grilled lamb.

[ATTACH]414007[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]414008[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What time should I plan on arriving for dinner? (I'll bring my own glass! giggle!)

Greetings Coolers!

J......very industrious of you! Good thing you made room in the freezer! :)

We have now moved a little further along the optimism spectrum from cautiously to almost likely. Depending on the results of an echocardiogram done yesterday, our son-in-law may potentially be released from hospital later this week after spending a month in their care. Thanks to Coolers for their good thoughts and caring!

Today's funny.....

2395271c94b8a101a86e46062be45cd2--count-aunty-acid.jpg

Have a great day all!

Yum and more yum.

Glad to hear Mysty that SIL is really mending well.

Saw the online blurbs for houses in Ollolai, Sardinia selling for 1.50$. Overwhelming applicants for the houses and promise to renovate within 3 years.

Tried to sign up but application won't go through. Tomorrow is the last day.

If stock market continues to tank, we will have our lifestyle curbed in a major way.

Greetings Coolers!

J......very industrious of you! Good thing you made room in the freezer! :)

We have now moved a little further along the optimism spectrum from cautiously to almost likely. Depending on the results of an echocardiogram done yesterday, our son-in-law may potentially be released from hospital later this week after spending a month in their care. Thanks to Coolers for their good thoughts and caring!

Today's funny.....

2395271c94b8a101a86e46062be45cd2--count-aunty-acid.jpg

Have a great day all!

Yea! on sil news ! Loved today's cartoon. Looks like we'll be getting more shivering, with a winter storm headed our way. Not a huge one (7"), but getting sick of snow and ice and shivering! Still have a ways to go before a thaw.

Have a good day, all.

Linda

What part of Belfast are you from? I'm a Shankill lad (well Woodvale Avenue/Tennant Street, actually) but I hold no truck with the sectarian nonsense that feeds that part of the city.

Have you been to the Aviva - grand stadium and a worthy replacement for Landsdowne Road (which holds special memories because my father led out the Methodist College team at Stand Off [No 10, fly half or outside half - whichever you prefer] in some national schools final in the 40s - they lost).

We are currently thinking about our final house move with the search taking in Cork, Kerry and adjacent counties. I think it's time to go home!

Thanks all!!!!!

Spins...we are in the same tippy canoe in terms of retirement savings in the Market. I'm hoping that things settle down soon but the financial "wizards" have been talking about a "market correction" for a while now. :(

Linda...we are expecting another storm for tomorrow. Not best pleased with this nasty season.

Hm. Jeff, your last pics do seem very low rez. I'll try from my Android.

Wow. They have changed the app. I can't upload pix from my phone any more! The picture icon is gone, replaced with a paperclip to upload an attachment. That's really annoying!

It's a shame. The CC app has been adjusted to upload an unusable compression of images. However it you revert to TapaTalk it still reduces but you can choose by how much. Compare these to the earlier pics.

401e64db5e4cc1625cf98b3425cfa079.jpg

8ce549c1a7ec550c031693aab5724bf8.jpg

I hope they make some adjustment to the CC app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What part of Belfast are you from? I'm a Shankill lad (well Woodvale Avenue/Tennant Street, actually) but I hold no truck with the sectarian nonsense that feeds that part of the city.

Have you been to the Aviva - grand stadium and a worthy replacement for Landsdowne Road (which holds special memories because my father led out the Methodist College team at Stand Off [No 10, fly half or outside half - whichever you prefer] in some national schools final in the 40s - they lost).

We are currently thinking about our final house move with the search taking in Cork, Kerry and adjacent counties. I think it's time to go home![/quot

I’m from the other side of town- Stormont. I think you must have had a much tougher time of it than I but like you have no truck with bigotry of any shade of orange or green.

I haven’t been back for years so haven’t been to the Aviva, just seen it on tv. It does look grand though so maybe we will get there one day. We may actually get back to Belfast later this year but I really fancy going in on a Silversea ship. I am always tickled at the thought of a coach load of SS guests going on an excursion to Somewhere like Donaghadee.

My father played for Inst but never got to Lansdowne Road, that must have been quite a day for your father.

To my shame, I have never been to Cork or Kerry. Up the Amazon, yes, but ignored my own country. That will have to be rectified. You’d prefer to go South rather than North?

Rp

I stayed at the JW Marriott on the private island. It was incredible!

I highly recommend it.

Lovely to be away from the crowds, and come and go when you want, knowing that you will need to all ate time for the hotels water taxi.

I also stayed at an apartment which was in a private garden near the da'a Marisa restaurant. Also a lovely place to eat. In the cannaregio, near the tre archi bridge.

Depends on the experience you want.