Beverage Package

Cooperpoo

It depends on which beverage package you were given. There are two that include alcohol and three that do not. If you have the Elite or Signature package then you have free alcohol.

To Krazy Kruizers (and I guess the OP).

With a post count over 100,000 I am amazed at the misinformation in your post.

1) First response was Yes. Without knowing what package the OP was given that answer could be completely wrong.

2) Your 2nd response to my comment was "The Signature Beverage Package allows you to buy alcohol drinks, sodas, bottled water, coffees, etc. Just not bottles of wine" is also incorrect.

From the HAL website:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)

The Signature Beverage Package clearly includes wine (by the glass) with a $9 max price. The Elite Beverage package is the same as the Signature with a max price of $15 per drink.

1) First response was Yes. Without knowing what package the OP was given that answer could be completely wrong.

2) Your 2nd response to my comment was "The Signature Beverage Package allows you to buy alcohol drinks, sodas, bottled water, coffees, etc. Just not bottles of wine" is also incorrect.

From the HAL website:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)

The Signature Beverage Package clearly includes wine (by the glass) with a $9 max price. The Elite Beverage package is the same as the Signature with a max price of $15 per drink.

Thank you, RickT, for your input. The only thing I would add is that folks should not rely exclusively on CCers for (reliable) answers to questions such as that posted by OP. IMO it makes eminent good sense to contact HAL directly when one has questions about HAL products, services and policies.

Smooth sailing ? ? ?

Thank you, RickT, for your input. The only thing I would add is that folks should not rely exclusively on CCers for (reliable) answers to questions such as that posted by OP. IMO it makes eminent good sense to contact HAL directly when one has questions about HAL products, services and policies.

Smooth sailing ? ? ?

Fully agree! Just wish people would think prior to responding.

For #1, I'm new to this board and to Holland, but I'm guessing Krazy Kruizers probably made an "assumption" around the type of drink package the OP received (i.e. Signature package). But yes, it would have been more accurate to state that assumption. Since I'm new though, I can't say what the most likely drink package a TA might offer, but I can say the one cruise I've booked with Holland did come with the Explorer package which included the Signature package. So that may be the most likely package offered (but yes, it would have been a bit better to state that upfront.)

For your 2nd point, I'm a bit confused. Exactly what point are you disagreeing with? I read Krazy's response as most any "glass" drink is included. Are you saying the Signature Package doesn't allow one to purchase "alcohol drinks, sodas, bottled water, coffee, etc.? Or are you saying that it does include bottles of wine? Or are you saying not mentioning the $9/drink limit was wrong?

Since I have the Signature package with my upcoming cruise, I'm definitely interested in what is and is not included.

Thanks.

Since I have the Signature package with my upcoming cruise, I'm definitely interested in what is and is not included.

Thanks.

Hi hhoope01,

I guess it just irks me when a long time member of the forum gives wrong/misleading information.

Regarding the Signature package, it includes " a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)". this pretty much includes anything you'd want to drink on board with the understanding that the max price is $9.00 per drink (and you can only order one drink at a time).

My concern with KK's response was adding "Just not bottles of wine" to the end of their comment can be taken to mean you cannot get wine with the Signature package (which is not correct). It's further confusing is that I mentioned both the Elite and Signature as providing alcohol and the response only mentioned no bottles of wine with the Signature package. You cannot get bottles of wine with the Elite package either, you just have a higher $ limit which should mean better wines/alcohol.

All that said, both the signature and elite packages include wine (by the glass), beer and spirits with the major difference being the $ limit available under each package.

My concern with KK's response was adding "Just not bottles of wine" to the end of their comment can be taken to mean you cannot get wine with the Signature package.

FWIW, I didn't take the response that way at all. To me the response clearly (and correctly) indicated that the package included 'alcohol drinks' (which by definition includes glasses of wine), just not bottles of wine.

Nothing unclear about this to me, and honestly it doesn't take much to confuse me! ;)

... Since I have the Signature package with my upcoming cruise, I'm definitely interested in what is and is not included.

Thanks.

If having factual information is important to you, I suggest you contact HAL Ship Services directly and not try to interpret, filter and dissect the opinions that appear on CC. JMO

If having factual information is important to you, I suggest you contact HAL Ship Services directly and not try to interpret, filter and dissect the opinions that appear on CC. JMO
Yes. You will always get super accurate answers from the HAL reps. Do not, under any circumstances, listen to people like me. Have the HAL rep send you a list of the included liquors and wines. Have them include the ones on the Elite Beverage Package in case you want to upgrade. Remember: All your information must come from Seattle. It's never wrong.

Seriously people! Stop jumping on posters who try to help.

Let's start with a couple of caveats. #1 - And this is important. I am not in Seattle. #2 - This information was complied for the Signature Beverage Package (SBP) and the Elite Beverage Package (EBP.) You might have some the soda package or some other perk that doesn't apply. If that's the case, you can ignore this and call Ships Services at 1–800–541–1576. I think that phone number works for the US and Canada.

You can't put a spreadsheet into a post, so this is about the best I can do. Pretend that you have four columns, each separated by a dash. I've attached the information as a spreadsheet (reverted to old-timey XLS format for maximum compatibility - because I care!) The information was compiled off bar menus from Summer 2017, so it should be current.

Here's the text version:

Beverage - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Water/Non-Alcoholic

Mineral Water 1.5L - $3.95 - Yes - Yes

Mineral Water 0.5L - $1.95 - Yes - Yes

San Pelligrino 1.0L - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Perrier 750ml - $3.25 - Yes - Yes

Juices - All - $2.75 - Yes - Yes

Soda - All - $2.25 - Yes - Yes

Red Bull - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Red Bull Sugar Free - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

WINE - HAL Price - HAL SBP # - HAL EBP #

House Sparkling - $6.50 - 1 - 1

Prosecco - $6.75 - 1 - 1

Other Sparkling - $9.50 - 0 - 1

Champagne - $12.50 - 0 - 1

Pinot Grigio - $6.50-$11.00 - 1 - 2

Chablis - $13.50 - 0 - 1

Chardonnay - $6.50-$9.75 - 2 - 4

Riesling - $7.25-8.50 - 2 - 2

Moscato - $8.50 - 1 - 1

Sauv Blanc - $8.50-$9.75 - 1 - 2

Barbera - $9.75 - 0 - 1

Claret - $13.50 - 0 - 1

Malbec - $8.50 - 1 - 1

Merlot - $6.50-$12.25 - 1 - 2

Cabernet Sauv - $6.50-$9.75 - 3 - 5

Shiraz/Syrah - $7.25-$14.75 - 2 - 3

Pinot Noir - $9.75 - 0 - 2

Zinfandel - $6.50 - 1 - 1

White Zin - $6.50 - 1 - 1

Dessert Wine - $7.95 - 1 - 1

Number Wines Available - - 19 - 34

BEER 12 oz - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Amstel Light - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Beck's - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Blue Moon - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Corona - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Guinness Stout - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Heineken - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Molson - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Sam Adams Boston Lager - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Stella Artois - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

BEER 16 oz - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Boddington's - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud Light - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud Light Lime - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Coors Light - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grolsch - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Michelob Ultra - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Miller Genuine Draft - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Miller Lite - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

CIDER'S/OTHER - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Crispin Cider - $5.75 - Yes - Yes

NA Beer - $4.25 - Yes - Yes

Rekordling Pear - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Rekordling Strawberry/Lime - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Smirnoff Ice - $5.25 - Yes - Yes

Strongbow Cider - $5.75 - Yes - Yes

VODKA - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Absolut - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Citron - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Mandarin - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Vanilla - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Belvedere - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Chopin - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Finlandia - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose Citron - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose 'Orange - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose La Poire - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Ketel One - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

New Amsterdam - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Skyy - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Skyy Pineapple - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Smirnoff - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Stolichnaya - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Tito's - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Vox - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

RUM - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Appleton - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi 8 - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Gold - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Limon - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Oakheart - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Razz - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Brugal - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Captain Morgan - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Cruzan - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Gosling's Black Seal - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Malibu - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Myer's Dark - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Pyrat XO - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

BOURBON - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Buffalo Trace - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Jack Daniels - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Jack Daniels Honey - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Jim Beam - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Jim Beam Red Stag - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Knob Creek - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Maker's Mark - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Tatoosh - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Wild Turkey 101 - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

RYE/IRISH WHISKY - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Canadian Club - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Crown Royal - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Jameson Irish - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Seagram's 7 Crown - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Seagram's VO - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Tatoosh Rye - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

SCOTCH - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aberfeldy - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Ballentine's - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Chivas Regal - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Cutty Sark - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Dalmore - $10.25 - Excluded - Yes

Dewar's 12 Year Old - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Dewar's White - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Glen Deveron - $8.50 - Yes - Yes

Glenfiddich - $10.25 - Excluded - Yes

Glenlivet - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Glenmorangie - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Highland Park - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

J&B - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Johnnie Walker - Black - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Johnnie Walker - Red - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Laphroaig - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Macallan Select Oak - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

GIN - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Bols Dutch Jenever - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Bombay - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Bombay Sapphire - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Hendricks - $8.00 - Yes - Yes

Tanqueray - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Tanqueray 10 - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

TEQUILA - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Cabo Wabo Blanco - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Cazadores Anejo - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

El Jimador Silver - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Herradura Reposado - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Herradura Silver - $9.75 - Excluded - Yes

Jose Cuervo 1800 - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Jose Cuervo Gold - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Patron Anejo - $13.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Reposado - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Silver - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

APERITIF - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aperol - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Campari - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Dubonnet - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

Pernod - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Vermouth - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

COGNAC/ARMAGNAC - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Armagnac - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Courvoisier Napoleon - $10.95 - Excluded - Yes

Courvoisier VS - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Courvoisier VSOP - $8.50 - Yes - Yes

Hennessey VS - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Hennessey VSOP - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Hennessey XO - $19.95 - Excluded - Excluded

Remy Martin VSOP - $10.95 - Excluded - Yes

Remy Martin XO - $18.95 - Excluded - Excluded

DIGESTIF - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aquavit - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Alexander - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Cabernet - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Prosecco - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Limoncello - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Villa Massa Limoncello PGI - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

LIQUEUR - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Amaretto Disaronno - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Baileys Irish Cream - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Chambord - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Cointreau - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Crème de Menthe - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

D.O.M. Benedictine - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Drambuie - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Frangelico - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Galliano - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grand Marnier - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Jagermeister - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Kahlua - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Patron Cafe XO - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Citronage - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Sambuca - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Southern Comfort - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Tia Maria - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

PORT/SHERRY - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Dow's LBV - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

f-larvey Bristol Cream Sherry - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

Graham's Six Grapes - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Sandeman - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Smith Woodhouse Reserve LBV - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Tio Pepe Sherry - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Warre's Otima - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Warre's Warrior Tawny - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

HAL-Booze-Compare.xls

If you upgrade to the EBP, the only wine by the glass that's excluded is Veuve Clicqout yellow label Champagne. You'll have a Champagne available to you: Nicholas Feuillatte Brut (blue label.) Both sparklers rate the same, 91 points.

Let's start with a couple of caveats. #1 - And this is important. I am not in Seattle. #2 - This information was complied for the Signature Beverage Package (SBP) and the Elite Beverage Package (EBP.) You might have some the soda package or some other perk that doesn't apply. If that's the case, you can ignore this and call Ships Services at 1–800–541–1576. I think that phone number works for the US and Canada.

You can't put a spreadsheet into a post, so this is about the best I can do. Pretend that you have four columns, each separated by a dash. I've attached the information as a spreadsheet (reverted to old-timey XLS format for maximum compatibility - because I care!) The information was compiled off bar menus from Summer 2017, so it should be current.

Here's the text version:

Gosh all that work, all that information, all that data -- current as of Summer 2017. I better call Seattle and see if you are right ;) That should keep at least one phone rep busy for an entire shift ;)

Thanks POA1 (y)

Yes. You will always get super accurate answers from the HAL reps. Do not, under any circumstances, listen to people like me. Have the HAL rep send you a list of the included liquors and wines. Have them include the ones on the Elite Beverage Package in case you want to upgrade. Remember: All your information must come from Seattle. It's never wrong.

I'll take your word POA1 and other people on these boards that have actually been on the ships versus someone in Seattle that has most likely never been on a HAL ship and gives a canned response that may or not be correct ;)

Thank you for the excellent FACTUAL advice you always provide :D:*

I will always defer to HAL reps over anecdotal 'information' from so called posters like you.

I will always defer to HAL reps over anecdotal 'information' from so called posters like you.

Who can blame you? There's no guarantee that I'm an actual person who has sailed on HAL. It's entirely possible that I purchased a Holland America stir stick and that this photo was taken at the Hilton Garden Inn in Wichita, Kansas. I may have never been within 200 miles of the ocean, let alone been on a cruise.

poohby-whiskey.jpg

I may just be a well-dressed stuffed animal.

who can blame you? There's no guarantee that i'm an actual person who has sailed on hal. It's entirely possible that i purchased a holland america stir stick and that this photo was taken at the hilton garden inn in wichita, kansas. I may have never been within 200 miles of the ocean, let alone been on a cruise.

poohby-whiskey.jpg

i may just be a well-dressed stuffed animal.

lol. :'):'):')

Excellent advice!

If you will read my earlier Posts, you will see that I was not "jumping on posters who try to help" but was merely repeating (in paraphrase) the CC Guidline advice. Although I doubt that it will satisfy your need to be the last (snarky) word on everything, here is the relevant part of the CC Guidelines:

We recognize that while we have tons of great stuff in this forum,
people sometimes post messages on the boards that could be misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong.
They may do this unintentionally or, sad to say, intentionally. Additionally, there are many different groups who participate, such as travel agents, public relations employees, members of the media, affinity groups, fan groups, other cruise websites etc. whose agenda may not be apparent since we are operating in an anonymous environment.

Treat the cruisers here the same way you'd treat anyone you'd met for the first time. This is important because anyone is welcome to participate in our community. You shouldn't make a cruise decision just because some stranger (or even an online friend) talks it up. Basically, you shouldn't treat cyberspace any differently than you would real life.

The
fundamental concept is that you should NOT totally rely upon the information or opinions you read.
Rather, you should
use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on cruise lines, ships, hotels, shore excursions and bargain-hunting techniques.
Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum.

For the full text, go to:

(Bolding added for emphasis.)

My point is that CCers should not rely exclusively on what is posted on here, which is the same advice as set forth in the CC Guidelines ... nothing more, nothing less!!! Sorry if you cannot accept that at face value.

Excellent advice!

If you will read my earlier Posts, you will see that I was not "jumping on posters who try to help" but was merely repeating (in paraphrase) the CC Guidline advice. Although I doubt that it will satisfy your need to be the last (snarky) word on everything, here is the relevant part of the CC Guidelines:

We recognize that while we have tons of great stuff in this forum,
people sometimes post messages on the boards that could be misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong.
They may do this unintentionally or, sad to say, intentionally. Additionally, there are many different groups who participate, such as travel agents, public relations employees, members of the media, affinity groups, fan groups, other cruise websites etc. whose agenda may not be apparent since we are operating in an anonymous environment.

Treat the cruisers here the same way you'd treat anyone you'd met for the first time. This is important because anyone is welcome to participate in our community. You shouldn't make a cruise decision just because some stranger (or even an online friend) talks it up. Basically, you shouldn't treat cyberspace any differently than you would real life.

The
fundamental concept is that you should NOT totally rely upon the information or opinions you read.
Rather, you should
use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on cruise lines, ships, hotels, shore excursions and bargain-hunting techniques.
Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum.

For the full text, go to:

(Bolding added for emphasis.)

My point is that CCers should not rely exclusively on what is posted on here, which is the same advice as set forth in the CC Guidelines ... nothing more, nothing less!!! Sorry if you cannot accept that at face value.

I have a theory. There are a group of posters who are trying to diminish the value of CruiseCritic by discouraging people from posting and trying to shunt people over to HAL customer service. (This happens on other boards as well.) I think the end game is to discourage participation by endlessly quoting the CC guidelines and telling people to call the cruise lines.

Just for the heck of it, I called HAL and asked them two questions: (1) What wines are included on the Signature Beverage Package and Elite Beverage Package? (2) Which tequilas are covered by the Signature Beverage Package.

I had to put on my shocked face when they told me that I would have to wait until I board the ship to find out the answers to both questions, because that information isn't available.

I removed my shocked face, wiped off the perspiration, and placed it back in my drawer.

Therein lies the problem. KK gave an answer that's probably right in 90%+ of cases because it addressed the Signature Beverage Package - bar far the most common "beverage package" giveaway. If you wanted to be helpful, you could have posted a clarification, but that's not the road you went down.

There are some people on this site who selflessly try to help new HAL cruisers by answering their questions, and KK is one of them. I recall she was able to post a photo of an open balcony divider in response to someone's inquiry. Try to get that from the phone reps or the HAL website. There are also a lot of people who take photos of rooms, scan copies of menus, and post wine lists, specialty dinner lists and a whole host of information that you cannot easily - if at all - find on the cruise line sites. They do this because they want to help. Or, because they are trying to pay back the CruiseCritic community for helping them out when they were researching their own cruises.

BTW - Here is the wine list information. It's current as of summer, so there may be some changes. I my experience (as a wine drinker, not a professional purveyor of snark) if HAL swaps out a wine, they typically replace it with an equivalent selection at roughly the same price.

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS (Note: If you have the EBP, this is the only excluded wine by the glass on the MDR menu. There may be some other excluded wines in the specialty restaurants.)

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh!tz Riesling (Spelled wrong to get around the naughty word filter) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthuisiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

=======

IIRC, Roger Jett (Crew News) is heading out on the Veendam shortly, which should give us updated lists. The information above is from his scans from the recently ended Alaska season, combined from info I compiled on the Eurodam last December. I added the wines that had changed or were new and removed the ones no longer carried.

If you like your wine and you happen to have the SBP as a promo, you'd be well-served to spend the money on an upgrade to the EBP. Just have a glass of Nicolas Feuillatte before dinner every night and you're ahead of the game.

======

Let's see...

1. On Topic? Check!
  2. Last Word? Check! (For the moment anyway.)
  3. Snarky? Nope. Needs a little something....

This should do.

stay-thirsty-201711.jpg

I have a theory. There are a group of posters who are trying to diminish the value of CruiseCritic by discouraging people from posting and trying to shunt people over to HAL customer service. (This happens on other boards as well.) I think the end game is to discourage participation by endlessly quoting the CC guidelines and telling people to call the cruise lines.

Just for the heck of it, I called HAL and asked them two questions: (1) What wines are included on the Signature Beverage Package and Elite Beverage Package? (2) Which tequilas are covered by the Signature Beverage Package.

I had to put on my shocked face when they told me that I would have to wait until I board the ship to find out the answers to both questions, because that information isn't available.

I removed my shocked face, wiped off the perspiration, and placed it back in my drawer.

Therein lies the problem. KK gave an answer that's probably right in 90%+ of cases because it addressed the Signature Beverage Package - bar far the most common "beverage package" giveaway. If you wanted to be helpful, you could have posted a clarification, but that's not the road you went down.

There are some people on this site who selflessly try to help new HAL cruisers by answering their questions, and KK is one of them. I recall she was able to post a photo of an open balcony divider in response to someone's inquiry. Try to get that from the phone reps or the HAL website. There are also a lot of people who take photos of rooms, scan copies of menus, and post wine lists, specialty dinner lists and a whole host of information that you cannot easily - if at all - find on the cruise line sites. They do this because they want to help. Or, because they are trying to pay back the CruiseCritic community for helping them out when they were researching their own cruises.

BTW - Here is the wine list information. It's current as of summer, so there may be some changes. I my experience (as a wine drinker, not a professional purveyor of snark) if HAL swaps out a wine, they typically replace it with an equivalent selection at roughly the same price.

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS (Note: If you have the EBP, this is the only excluded wine by the glass on the MDR menu. There may be some other excluded wines in the specialty restaurants.)

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh!tz Riesling (Spelled wrong to get around the naughty word filter) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthuisiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

=======

IIRC, Roger Jett (Crew News) is heading out on the Veendam shortly, which should give us updated lists. The information above is from his scans from the recently ended Alaska season, combined from info I compiled on the Eurodam last December. I added the wines that had changed or were new and removed the ones no longer carried.

If you like your wine and you happen to have the SBP as a promo, you'd be well-served to spend the money on an upgrade to the EBP. Just have a glass of Nicolas Feuillatte before dinner every night and you're ahead of the game.

======

Let's see...

1. On Topic? Check!
  2. Last Word? Check! (For the moment anyway.)
  3. Snarky? Nope. Needs a little something....

This should do.

stay-thirsty-201711.jpg

Thank you for your response.