For those who rely on reviews from Trip Advisor - a disturbing article...

momofmab

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/11/01/tripadvisor-removed-reports-rapes-and-assaults-mexico-resorts-report-says/ST6JbI29XR25CeiDXh8K5J/story.html

“Advertisers will not continue to do business with us if their investment in such advertising does not generate sales leads, customers, bookings, or revenue and profit,” they wrote.

It's not only Mexico either. Someone I know had her review of a bad experience in Savannah removed from TA as well.

Thank you for posting. I use Trip Advisor consistently for reviews and the local forums to areas I will be visiting.

Noticed quite a bit of buzz lately about this very subject. Glad I was able to finally read the story.

Recently I was surprised to find that within a Mexico forum that the alcohol poisoning and blackouts situation was allowed to be posted without issue. I appreciated the knowledge since I will be traveling to that area and although it will not stop me from going, I will be much more proactive.

As always it is important to realize that travel, unfortunately , is not always about rainbows and unicorns. Bad things can happen...Maybe Trip Advisor is finally gets it or the internet is just not letting this go away for them..

Reading the link to the original article, which Keith1010 posted, details the issue in an even more disturbing light. I would hope that CC wouldn't delete this post as travelers who use TA and rely on their reviews deserve to know about their deceptive practice. If they did, it would certainly color CC in an unfavorable light (for me). After all, TA admits to doing it so the facts are not in dispute.

According to the comments to the various posts about the article that are floating around the internet, it's not only reviews related to rape/assault/alcohol poisoning that are being deleted, it's other types of negative reviews as well. It's unethical (at the very least) to manipulate consumer reviews around advertising dollars.