Top Tip for the Haven - Be aware of the Tips

lhorne

I had a butler on one cruise show up at the cabin the last sea day of the cruise with a debarkation booklet with the verbiage about concierge and butler not being part of DSC highlighted and pointed it out.

It made me pretty uncomfortable considering I already had his tip in an envelope in the safe. I did consider lowering it (it was probably already too high), but opted against it because I thought it was possible he figured I didn't know what to do because I am a bit younger than the typical suite crowd.

Kinda likewise here... butler showed up a couple of times and we had a perfectly pleasant conversation:

"Is there anything I can do to help you"

"No not really, we're all under control thanks; nice weather for this time of year"

"Ok, well let me know if you need anything"

"Sure thing, we have the phone"

90 seconds of interaction in 7 days... it wasn't a problem at all, we really DID have everything under control and were 110% happily on vacation with our favourite cruise line. Not sure what I'd be tipping for... Waiters, bar staff et-al... different story.

Since it would be reasonable to assume that a 'pre-paid service charge' (in common parlance a 'tip') was indeed a pre-paid service charge, I would give it no further thought and believe that I had met my obligation. I would have no compulsion to go to an FAQ and find out that it's actually a 'pre-paid service charge for some people but not others'.

You know what they say about people who "ass u me"...:rolleyes:

The info is there. If people don't read it.....

You know what they say about people who "ass u me"...:rolleyes:

The info is there. If people don't read it.....

Logically incorrect, the concept of valid inference; there is no reason to question something that you have no reason to question. Putting the information somewhere that people quite likely have no reason to go is unhelpful.

• Like 1

Where do you suggest that NCL should put the information?

The obvious place would be in black and white on the screen used to pre-pay service charges.

It currently says: "The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $13.99 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $307.78 USD for all guests, for your entire cruise. Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax "

It does not say "oh and despite us wanting to give you the convenience of pre-paying your service charges so that you can plan you budget and forget about it, we'd like to let you know that butlers an concierges are excluded from this and may randomly point this out to you at some point in your cruise (maybe)". I'm being sarcastic but given NCL's own words above I have no reason to go to an FAQ.... is my point. END

I'm being sarcastic but given NCL's own words above I have no reason to go to an FAQ.... is my point. END

The DSC is automatically deducted from the on-board account or it can be pre-paid. The DSC for suites is higher than the $13.99 pppd, btw.

The tip for the butler/concierge is neither automatic nor can it be pre-paid. Since the majority of guests aren't in a suite, there is no reason to provide information that is specifically for suite guests in the same place as the information for the DSC.

...I would give it no further thought and believe that I had met my obligation.

You have met your obligation.

There is no requirement to tip either the butler or the concierge.

There is also no obligation to tip a server or bartender in a restaurant, or a hairdresser or cab driver etc etc - but it is what is expected. You certainly will not get in any trouble for doing so but it is not the "right" thing to do.

The DSC is automatically deducted from the on-board account or it can be pre-paid. The DSC for suites is higher than the $13.99 pppd, btw.

The tip for the butler/concierge is neither automatic nor can it be pre-paid. Since the majority of guests aren't in a suite, there is no reason to provide information that is specifically for suite guests in the same place as the information for the DSC.

I'm glad you agree; there is no reason for someone pre-paying their service charge to go to an FAQ to figure out who it may or may not cover given the information provided by NCL on the pre-paid service charge dialogue.

There is also no obligation to tip a server or bartender in a restaurant, or a hairdresser or cab driver etc etc - but it is what is expected. You certainly will not get in any trouble for doing so but it is not the "right" thing to do.

I agree.

I'm glad you agree; there is no reason for someone pre-paying their service charge to go to an FAQ to figure out who it may or may not cover given the information provided by NCL on the pre-paid service charge dialogue.

Those same people have no one to blame if they are "blindsided" by a fuel supplement charge. Most people don't read that part of their guest ticket contract, either.

They should.....but they don't.

I agree.

Those same people have no one to blame if they are "blindsided" by a fuel supplement charge. Most people don't read that part of their guest ticket contract, either.

They should.....but they don't.

There is a FUNDAMENTAL difference between a contract and FAQ.

END

I don't know why NCL doesnt include the butler and concierge in the DSC. The people who are staying in the Haven are spending alot of money to be there. I see alot of threads such as "what can I have my butler do for me?" or "can my butler deliver food to me all around the ship?". I would think those passengers should reflect their appreciation with tip. But there are many of us that just want the nice room and Haven access. I book my own dining, and do not go to shows and usually don't even get off the ship. The one thing that I use the concierge for is the last morning to disembark. Which, I feel is my benefit for paying the Haven price. So what am I tipping the concierge for? Again, I think tipping depends on how much you use these services.

Kinda likewise here... butler showed up a couple of times and we had a perfectly pleasant conversation:

"Is there anything I can do to help you"

"No not really, we're all under control thanks; nice weather for this time of year"

"Ok, well let me know if you need anything"

"Sure thing, we have the phone"

90 seconds of interaction in 7 days... it wasn't a problem at all, we really DID have everything under control and were 110% happily on vacation with our favourite cruise line. Not sure what I'd be tipping for... Waiters, bar staff et-al... different story.

Did you accept daily snacks?

Did your butler service your coffee machine?

Did he perform any routine tasks for you even if you did not have any special requests?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know why NCL doesnt include the butler and concierge in the DSC. The people who are staying in the Haven are spending alot of money to be there. I see alot of threads such as "what can I have my butler do for me?" or "can my butler deliver food to me all around the ship?". I would think those passengers should reflect their appreciation with tip. But there are many of us that just want the nice room and Haven access. I book my own dining, and do not go to shows and usually don't even get off the ship. The one thing that I use the concierge for is the last morning to disembark. Which, I feel is my benefit for paying the Haven price. So what am I tipping the concierge for? Again, I think tipping depends on how much you use these services.

It is very subjective and up to you. People report here from nothing to $$$$. Do what you feel best and don't look back.

For a short time when NCL made suite DSC higher they claimed it included butler/concierge then they quickly retracted that.

It is very subjective and up to you. People report here from nothing to $$$$. Do what you feel best and don't look back.

For a short time when NCL made suite DSC higher they claimed it included butler/concierge then they quickly retracted that.

That "retraction" had to be a mistake. I cannot imagine the $2 increase pppd split between the butler and concierge would hardly equate to even the cheapest person's tip. I think someone in marketing just goofed.

• 4 weeks later...

Considering what one pays for these rooms one would think the cruise lines would pay these people a good salary. That is the question, what are they paid?

NCL says concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge.

I disagree as beverage services get 18%. Wow to get $1.80+ for every drink served!

NCL says concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge.

I disagree as beverage services get 18%. Wow to get $1.80+ for every drink served!

The service charge on drinks is different than the DSC.

Also, it is currently a 20% service charge on individual drinks and/or on the UBP.

That "retraction" had to be a mistake. I cannot imagine the $2 increase pppd split between the butler and concierge would hardly equate to even the cheapest person's tip. I think someone in marketing just goofed.

The initial press release from NCL regarding the increase of DSC was widespread. I do not believe that it was a "mistake" by the marketing department. Live interviews with NCL senior staff included statements addressing the higher DSC for Suites and Haven guests. They explained that the increased rate was a result fo those guests having the services of Butler and Concierge.

Perhaps, Butlers and Concierge objected being part of "tip pool" ?

The initial press release from NCL regarding the increase of DSC was widespread. I do not believe that it was a "mistake" by the marketing department. Live interviews with NCL senior staff included statements addressing the higher DSC for Suites and Haven guests. They explained that the increased rate was a result fo those guests having the services of Butler and Concierge.

Perhaps, Butlers and Concierge objected being part of "tip pool" ?

This directly contradicts the statements throughout that Butler & Concierge are NOT part of the DSC. Unless I am misreading, that statement says they ARE part of the DSC.

Clarify please?

This directly contradicts the statements throughout that Butler & Concierge are NOT part of the DSC. Unless I am misreading, that statement says they ARE part of the DSC.

Clarify please?

I was referring to the first release of information regarding the increase in the DSC. (I believe it was 2015?)

NCL has since back peddled this statement and now we have its current incarnation, with all subsequent increases in DSC.

Thanks for clarifying.

So may I re-ask my question?

Does DSC for Haven cover the Haven maitre d’? I was under the impression that it was appropriate to tip them extra for “normal” service because they weren’t covered. I haven’t checked on them yet with NCL (it just occurred to me recently) but I plan to. Does anyone know?

So glad to see this thread. I honestly thought, because the DSC is significantly higher when staying in the Haven, that at least the butler was included. This April will be our first time in Haven, hence it never occurred to me otherwise. Now that it’s clear this isn’t the case, we’ll be sure to tip him/her. I’d have been mortified otherwise.

Not so much a comment on tipping, but what an Amazing video! Heading into our 4th Haven trip in June and cannot imagine travelling any other way on a cruise! You are right - it's the people and the service that make it so special - and, of course....that H4 tub. I work an extra shift every month just to pay for this luxury and it's worth every penny to be treated like royalty for an entire week. Thanks for giving me a huge smile!

In regards to tipping...the staff are working literally 7 days a week from duck to dawn to make your vacation perfect - and that includes the staff you don't see in the laundry, prep kitchens, deck-hands, over night staff - share your happiness with them. I guarantee you, no matter what job you have, you are not working nearly as hard as these folks. It certainly would be a shock if you were not expecting it, I absolutely agree...especially on the last day of the cruise.

Should the cruise companies pay employees more so the staff are less reliant on tips? Sure - but are you willing to pay that extra fee for your vacation, because it absolutely will be passed on to you. Better to share your own good fortune. Plus - if you sail the same ship, you see the same staff and they really get to know you.

Warmest - Amy