Royal Caribbean gratuities help

Sorry, but I can‘t see how this can be missed. I just came home from a cruise as well and besides those charges coming up on your bill daily and a printed account statement being delivered mid cruise, the daily charge was mentioned several times in the cruise compass, the boarding information for the first day and also the information about departure.

You got to be very ignorant to not know about this.

As for disputing with your credit card, I would hope this won‘t work, as the service was delivered and it‘s not a fraudulent charge.

The ops question sounded like it was from someone who hasn't cruised before.

You can check your account at any time and even get a copy early on debarkation day so they have no defence.

Sorry, but I can‘t see how this can be missed. I just came home from a cruise as well and besides those charges coming up on your bill daily and a printed account statement being delivered mid cruise, the daily charge was mentioned several times in the cruise compass, the boarding information for the first day and also the information about departure.

You got to be very ignorant to not know about this.

As for disputing with your credit card, I would hope this won‘t work, as the service was delivered and it‘s not a fraudulent charge.

I don't think I have ever received a printed statement part was through a cruise, only the last morning

Hi All,

Just returned from a fantastic cruise with RC with my wife and two young children. We chose not to prepay gratuities and on the final day left envelopes for many of the staff That helped us totalling many hundreds of dollars.

We are now home and on checking our bill (which we found as we were dragging our suitcases out the room) have found RC are charging us $13.50 per person per day gratuities and they have already started taking money out of my credit card.

I feel I have already paid these tips and do not want to pay twice. Have contacted them to ask the credit card gratuities to be refunded but they say I have to wait three days.

Has anyone else had this as I am concerned I will end up paying double tips?

Ben

Ben, I assume that you were on either the Majesty or the Enchantment, neither of which has interactive TV.

While I can see some confusion if you NEVER turned on your TV and never saw the departure video which runs on continuous loop for about the last 36 hours of your cruise, I just don't think that you have a leg to stand on here.

I know you can do that but the person said it was delivered

It is always delivered debarkation morning.

He said they had not received one any other time which he wouldn't until he does what i suggested and go to GS at any time during the cruise and they will print one off for you.

Ben, I assume that you were on either the Majesty or the Enchantment, neither of which has interactive TV.

While I can see some confusion if you NEVER turned on your TV and never saw the departure video which runs on continuous loop for about the last 36 hours of your cruise, I just don't think that you have a leg to stand on here.

It would be the first time to my knowledge.

Don't know when the statement are normally delivered the last morning, but we left our cabin to wait in the self assist line (oasis) at about 6:30 AM and the statements had not yet been delivered.

We had checked the statement all week so we knew what to expect, but it would have been nice to see he final statement. I called CS to try t get a copy and was not successful.

M

Don't know when the statement are normally delivered the last morning, but we left our cabin to wait in the self assist line (oasis) at about 6:30 AM and the statements had not yet been delivered.

We had checked the statement all week so we knew what to expect, but it would have been nice to see he final statement. I called CS to try t get a copy and was not successful.

M

IME, between 3 & 4 a.m.

You can call the after-cruise help line and they will email it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is also stated in bold letters on the booking confirmation.

It is also stated in bold letters on the booking confirmation.

I will say that while I knew about it on my first cruise, as I read everything as well as hanging out here, I know my coworker had no clue until she got onboard. I am sure plenty have made the mistake of missing the info about the daily service charge. Since the op has not clarified, I am guessing the ta probably missed something or miss communicated and the op also missed the info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I will say that while I knew about it on my first cruise, as I read everything as well as hanging out here, I know my coworker had no clue until she got onboard. I am sure plenty have made the mistake of missing the info about the daily service charge. Since the op has not clarified, I am guessing the ta probably missed something or miss communicated and the op also missed the info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

As tipping is the most widely discussed topic it is inconceivable that anyone is not aware plus as someone else said you are briefed on the TV and letters in the cabin about disembarking and rewarding your crew members with a gratuity.

On Harmony in August we did not get our statement until about 5 minutes before we were ready to leave our room at 6:30 am. We had checked on TV throughout the week, just wanted to make sure there we no surprises. We also did not get a mid week stmt, but I just assumed they did away with that on the ships with the interactive programming on TV.

On Harmony in August we did not get our statement until about 5 minutes before we were ready to leave our room at 6:30 am. We had checked on TV throughout the week, just wanted to make sure there we no surprises. We also did not get a mid week stmt, but I just assumed they did away with that on the ships with the interactive programming on TV.

You have to go to GS if you want a statement during the week.

I don't think I have ever received a printed statement part was through a cruise, only the last morning

but you can ALWAYS go on the TV at any point and look it up. and its not like its a channel that is buried between the 12 different showings of Big Bang Theory in every language that you just skip over stupidly fast when channel surfing. either Concierge can also print out a copy ( if applicable) and you can easily pop on down to GS during quiet times and get one as well. I don't understand why someone would not want to keep even a casual eye not heir account throughout the cruise, especially if multiple people are sailing.

claiming that the GS line was too long on the last day is a cop out. even if the OP has only sailed ONE other time in their lives, they should have known there was going to be a daily charge to their account for gratuities.

not pre paying is irrelevant, many people use OBC to offset the fixed cost.

but you can ALWAYS go on the TV at any point and look it up. and its not like its a channel that is buried between the 12 different showings of Big Bang Theory in every language that you just skip over stupidly fast when channel surfing. either Concierge can also print out a copy ( if applicable) and you can easily pop on down to GS during quiet times and get one as well. I don't understand why someone would not want to keep even a casual eye not heir account throughout the cruise, especially if multiple people are sailing.

claiming that the GS line was too long on the last day is a cop out. even if the OP has only sailed ONE other time in their lives, they should have known there was going to be a daily charge to their account for gratuities.

I agree with all your points.

Do the older ships have the interactive tv? Agree you can always go to GS to get a copy at anytime.

I didn't know about the interactive TV feature but at least on Anthem the iPad stations are very convenient for checking the bill. I did this everyday when I was walking by and saw an empty station. We boarded as a cash account but as we were being given refundable OBC I added a card at guest services and wanted to keep an eye on my bill in case of accidental charges.

I think there can be confusion between 'prepaid' and 'auto', some thinking they mean the same thing.

True. That’s why reading your confirmations is important.

Except he says that they didn't prepay the grats. Hard to square familiarity with the option to prepay the grats and a lack of familiarity with the grats

Correct. They didn’t prepay. That means they didn’t pay before going on the cruise. By not prepaying they then got auto-charged gratuities, which means it’s charged through the cruise.

To not have them charged at all and to pay solely in cash requires a trip to guest services to set up this exception.

True. That’s why reading your confirmations is important.

Correct. They didn’t prepay. That means they didn’t pay before going on the cruise. By not prepaying they then got auto-charged gratuities, which means it’s charged through the cruise.

To not have them charged at all and to pay solely in cash requires a trip to guest services to set up this exception.

Thats true,if he didn't know that tips are added to your on board account he will now.

As tipping is the most widely discussed topic it is inconceivable that anyone is not aware plus as someone else said you are briefed on the TV and letters in the cabin about disembarking and rewarding your crew members with a gratuity.

I don't think I've ever turned on the TV while cruising.

Removing gratuity is a terrible choice. Like someone had said, there are people who you don't see who do plenty for you ,like cleaning the hall, or cleaning up after kids doing "gross things". You should always pay gratuities. Then tip extra to those you think did an outstanding job. But you don't have to feel guilty if you don't over tip because you know you at least did your part.

Yet I DO acknowledge that the cruise lines do take some of your grats for themselves and don't give it all to the crew. If they would just pay their employees the proper way, and/or just include gratuity in the actual cost of the cruise so it doesn't appear to be cheaper then it actually is, this situation would have been resolved decades ago.

Sorry you are dealing with this, but I hope it doesn't stop you from further enjoying cruising.