On Zuiderdam now...no music by the pool.

ConnCruise

I dislike music so loud that it becomes intrusive and interferes with conversation. On the K'dam in October I actually enjoyed the music mix so much that I would have purchased a copy if they'd had it for sale. There was something for everyone and I enjoyed it all. Mainly because it wasn't blasting.

We did, too, on Kdam! Really enjoyed it on Lido Aft. They had a similar music mix on Oosterdam a couple of weeks ago, too. This must be the same as what ConnCruise said is on Zui. Very good and easy listening and wasn't blasting or intrusive at all!

You sure have that right :). Last year we were dining in a very upscale (and pricey) restaurant and noticed a very attractive younger (20s) couple at the next table. They were both using their phones and texting away during the entire meal. They would sometimes put down their phones to eat...but other times would eat with one hand and text with the other. DW and I were truly fascinated because we sat there watching them for over 30 min...and they never said a word to each other. We wondered if they simply texted each other (across a 2-top table) because they did not know how socialize without a phone :). We have a rule in our home. No phones at the dinner table!

Hank

So much agree with this! Social (i.e., so called 'soft' skills) seem to have been lost on current and younger generations. Kinda sad really.

Keep in mind that there are 1900 passengers (different ages and tastes) on the ship and the pool areas are two of the larger public areas, with 10s of thousands of dollars invested in sound reinforcement equipment built into those spaces. These areas are deliberately NOT designed as quiet spaces, but active areas with music, live or recorded, an integral part of that experience. During less active times, tasteful, quiet music, as described by posts above, work well for MOST of the passengers and add a positive energy and ambience to those venues. To ask that the music be turned off kills the energy and is extremely selfish! I completely understand that some want peace and quiet - other parts of the ship provide that, but don't deny others the chance to fully enjoy their cruise in the process!

Keep in mind that there are 1900 passengers (different ages and tastes) on the ship and the pool areas are two of the larger public areas, with 10s of thousands of dollars invested in sound reinforcement equipment built into those spaces. These areas are deliberately NOT designed as quiet spaces, but active areas with music, live or recorded, an integral part of that experience. During less active times, tasteful, quiet music, as described by posts above, work well for MOST of the passengers and add a positive energy and ambience to those venues. To ask that the music be turned off kills the energy and is extremely selfish! I completely understand that some want peace and quiet - other parts of the ship provide that, but don't deny others the chance to fully enjoy their cruise in the process!

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Charles Aznavour! disons que ce n'est pas le cas! And I suppose somebody will soon want Edit Piaf music blasting across the pool deck.

Hank

I'd love to listen to Charles Aznavour!!! Edit Piaf, Yves Montan.

Unfortunately I don't think North American pax would appreciate them. Many don't even know Joe Dassin, even though he is an American.

I am not saying nobody will, but a majority

Very well said.

Holland America should not allow a few to snuff out the faint pulse Holland America still has.

I have so much I want to really say.......biting my tongue.

Very well said.

Holland America should not allow a few to snuff out the faint pulse Holland America still has.

I have so much I want to really say.......biting my tongue.

Judging by the responses on this board, I don't think its a "few". If you add up the votes, I believe the no music crowd carries the day.

Perhaps the solution lies in emulating the policy for smokers. HAL authorizes smoking on the starboard sides of some decks while the other side is non-smoking. Why not have speakers on one side of the pool deck and maintain the other side as a quiet side?

Judging by the responses on this board, I don't think its a "few". If you add up the votes, I believe the no music crowd carries the day.

Perhaps the solution lies in emulating the policy for smokers. HAL authorizes smoking on the starboard sides of some decks while the other side is non-smoking. Why not have speakers on one side of the pool deck and maintain the other side as a quiet side?

CC posters are a very, very small percentage of cruisers, especially on Holland America. I read threads for seven or eight cruise lines I’ve sailed.

Trying to bite my tongue even harder.

I’ve had enough of music by the pool. Princess and Celebrity both do it, and it gets annoying after the first hour of the first day. I appreciate that HAL doesn’t feel the need to subject everyone to music when they just want to sit by the pool and enjoy a quiet chat with their companions. I’m not even 40 years old, so no one can pull the “floating nursing home” line on me—LOL. I enjoy having a peaceful environment where I can relax. If I wanted music and a high-intensity experience, I’d sail RCCL.

How about they get rid of standard music and play no holes barred RAP? Really folks, if you don't want to hear music by the pool then wear earplugs. If you are going to suggest to others that they wear earbuds and listen to the music they want, then you can wear plugs to block out the music that you don't want to hear.

I completely understand that some want peace and quiet - other parts of the ship provide that, ....

If that were only true! But it's not. There is not one public room on the ship where one can go without finding that awful overhead music playing constantly. There was even a time where music was blasting out of the speakers in Explorers Lounge during the day---and not the classical music one might expect in that room.

The only place I have found without the overhead music is outside on the promenade. Until the Walk For The Cure, that is. And then there's blaring music out there, too.

I guess there are some who would wish that the entire ship was either a library or a rest home.

Cruisers select a ship based upon many attributes attributes, including ambiance.

This is not about no music. It is about only the music that I like, at the volume level that I like, in the ship locations that I want it, and only during the times that I deem acceptable. Other than that...everyone else bring their own tunes and earbuds.

When you think about it, it is not much difference than the essence of the big gala night/formal night discussion and opinions.

I want no piped in music anywhere, not in the doctor's office, not in a restaurant, not in my bank, nowhere. Don't get me started on televisions.

Yes!!! It's everywhere! It's everywhere!

There is no escape. No sounds of silence to be had.

I guess there are some who would wish that the entire ship was either a library or a rest home.

Cruisers select a ship based upon many attributes attributes, including ambiance.

This is not about no music. It is about only the music that I like, at the volume level that I like, in the ship locations that I want it, and only during the times that I deem acceptable. Other than that...everyone else bring their own tunes and earbuds.

When you think about it, it is not much difference than the essence of the big gala night/formal night discussion and opinions.

I really don't get how quiet/no music = library/rest home. I am 60 and consider myself a 'music person'. But just not 24/7. If music genre isn't to someone's taste they should have a place to go where there is none. Never been on Zdam. Aren't there at least 2 pool decks to provide this choice?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Your mention of energy is so spot on. Thanks for this thoughtful reply.

Yes!!! It's everywhere! It's everywhere!

There is no escape. No sounds of silence to be had.

Hey Ruthie, there are many many quiet places on this ship and relatively few with piped in music. Silence is very easy to find.( Even for a rude and selfish fellow like me. :halo:)