On Zuiderdam now...no music by the pool.

ConnCruise

No thanks to a floating funeral home atmosphere. Even a nursing home has some Muzak in public areas.

Holland America probably doesn’t want to buy new speakers. Maybe they haven’t heard of these newfangled things called adjustable receivers with speakers.

We had "piped" in Music on the Kdam and Oosterdam in Lido and on Lido Aft. It was "easy listening" and wasn't played very loud. Quite nice actually!

The one day at lunch on Odam an older Woman (we're in our 60's) flagged down one of the Servers demanding the music be turned off (it wasn't loud). She was so nasty telling him she wants quiet when she eats. My DH & I just looked at eachother and said "why is she eating on Lido, maybe she should have Room Service and stay in her room where she can have all the peace and quiet she wants"! lol

No thanks to a floating funeral home atmosphere. Even a nursing home has some Muzak in public areas.

Holland America probably doesn’t want to buy new speakers. Maybe they haven’t heard of these newfangled things called adjustable receivers with speakers.

Wow, another catchy phrase, plus sarcasm, for this side. A few more and might say there's a correlation between "attitude" and the desire that everyone should be forced to hear music.

Time to move up to Oceania. Live music poolside on sea days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not that I noticed on Riviera this past January: live music is a step up from elevator music but I still prefer my set list. I’ll report after my Oceania cruise next month.

My vote also goes for NO music by the pool. I really think the perfect solution is for people to bring their own, with ear buds of course. I agree with most. Loud music and I am gone. Now my dh is fine with it. A few times I have gone with him to music venues where the sound is ear splitting. For a day or two afterwards I can't hear out of my one ear and have trouble with hearing out of my other. Now I just refuse to go or stay at a venue which the music is too loud. I may miss out, but at least I can hear afterwards!!!

Oh come on really? No live sail away beats? Hey I really loved the live steel drum sets when sailing the Caribbean. I love quiet times too (and there are plenty of areas on any ship for quiet reflection)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh come on really? No live sail away beats? Hey I really loved the live steel drum sets when sailing the Caribbean. I love quiet times too (and there are plenty of areas on any ship for quiet reflection)

Prior to your post, I think most of this thread was referring to piped-in music near the pool.

I like steel bands too. There used to be areas on the ship without music but Hal seems to pipe it in everywhere now. Could you please suggest an area that is still quiet? Thank you.

Count me in the crowd that prefers no music,,,,or very very low volume music around the pool, You want blasting music go on Princess (where MUTS will blow out your ear drums) or Carnival. And we would explain to the OP that I happen to love music...while DW prefer quiet (for her reading). When its quiet at the pool and I can listen to my own music through very private ear buds while others can also listen to their own music. Those that want classical can have it, those that want rock can have it, those who like jazz can also have it. Once you accept that HAL is often a floating Assisted Living Facility it all makes sense :). We are soon off on a 21 day Celebrity cruise where we expect the usual music around the pool. I already have my noise canceling headphones ready to be packed.

Hank

Count me in the crowd that prefers no music,,,,or very very low volume music around the pool, You want blasting music go on Princess (where MUTS will blow out your ear drums) or Carnival. And we would explain to the OP that I happen to love music...while DW prefer quiet (for her reading). When its quiet at the pool and I can listen to my own music through very private ear buds while others can also listen to their own music. Those that want classical can have it, those that want rock can have it, those who like jazz can also have it. Once you accept that HAL is often a floating Assisted Living Facility it all makes sense :). We are soon off on a 21 day Celebrity cruise where we expect the usual music around the pool. I already have my noise canceling headphones ready to be packed.

Hank

Some of the young'uns don't talk with each other in any way other than texts...... they probably do nogt know how hard it is for people tto have a twith each other because of the blafing music. When two or three people cannot speak with eachother, face to face, the music HAS to go away IMO

We like live bands and/or singers by the pool. Not all the time of course. Piped in music not so much but it seems to more common since the cost to the cruise line is zero.

If you don't like the lack of music poolside you can always opt for Bingo or attend one of the self hosted quiz contests...BYOP bring your own prizes.

But we hear you on Sunday at the rest home. We are in our sixties as well but there is a difference between low key and absolutely dead.

Edited by iancal

"Absolutely dead"? Discussion isn't worth the effort when there is such exaggeration.

Desire for distraction and perhaps a noisier environment is as valid a reason to cruise as is a peaceful escape. Why not just go on the lines where such an atmosphere is intended? Is there something holding you back?

I would enjoy limited and location appropriate (steel drum etc) live music by the pool. What I didn't like were the HALCats (?) screeching by the pool on our Caribbean cruise. Truly awful!

As to inappropriate, we had a passenger on our last cruise who played his bagpipes at every sail away. Definitely not what I wanted to hear in the Mediterranean for three weeks!

why in the world would i want to listen to someone else's choice of music when i have my own mp3 with 8000 songs that I chose....i vote for peace and quiet....can't imagine how many times i have sat down by the pool or in crow's nest or some lounge to read or just enjoy peace and quiet and have had to leave because somebody wanted to play their version of music....no thanks.....ear buds are the simple solution.....you want it listen but if you don't want it you are not FORCED to listen.... of course i suppose some would like to have a boom box out by the pool so they could annoy everyone else.....

Some of the young'uns don't talk with each other in any way other than texts...... they probably do nogt know how hard it is for people tto have a twith each other because of the blafing music. When two or three people cannot speak with eachother, face to face, the music HAS to go away IMO

You sure have that right :). Last year we were dining in a very upscale (and pricey) restaurant and noticed a very attractive younger (20s) couple at the next table. They were both using their phones and texting away during the entire meal. They would sometimes put down their phones to eat...but other times would eat with one hand and text with the other. DW and I were truly fascinated because we sat there watching them for over 30 min...and they never said a word to each other. We wondered if they simply texted each other (across a 2-top table) because they did not know how socialize without a phone :). We have a rule in our home. No phones at the dinner table!

Hank

Well, did not expect such a lively response here. Well, it’s two days later and I’m back at the pool, just 8am.

To clarify, I’m not suggesting loud music by any means, but audible. As a reminder, this is a pool in the middle of the Caribbean with a bar, taco bar, great views, great weather. It’s not the library! Again I am in no way suggesting belly flop contests, but something that perhaps fits the occasion. I just asked the bar keep again about the music. He just laughed.

That said, and I just skimmed the responses, folks asked about the after effects of dry dock.

New carpets look nice. Our room, a Neptune Suite is excellent, big TV, clean modern look. Concierges by the way are worth their weight gold. Great problem solvers. Big problem on board that I’m aware of is the incredibly inconsistent air conditioning. Our stateroom has been fine but some public areas, especially the elevator lobbies have been really warm. Very inconsistent too in the lido buffet area. Also, more early in the cruise, some bad smells, especially starboard side, aft of mid ship, on the promenade desk.

I’ll be just hanging by the pool all day, so fire away with questions if you want.

Ps, internet pretty good. Interface well designed.

Well, did not expect such a lively response here. Well, it’s two days later and I’m back at the pool, just 8am.

To clarify, I’m not suggesting loud music by any means, but audible. As a reminder, this is a pool in the middle of the Caribbean with a bar, taco bar, great views, great weather. It’s not the library! Again I am in no way suggesting belly flop contests, but something that perhaps fits the occasion. I just asked the bar keep again about the music. He just laughed.

That said, and I just skimmed the responses, folks asked about the after effects of dry dock.

New carpets look nice. Our room, a Neptune Suite is excellent, big TV, clean modern look. Concierges by the way are worth their weight gold. Great problem solvers. Big problem on board that I’m aware of is the incredibly inconsistent air conditioning. Our stateroom has been fine but some public areas, especially the elevator lobbies have been really warm. Very inconsistent too in the lido buffet area. Also, more early in the cruise, some bad smells, especially starboard side, aft of mid ship, on the promenade desk.

I’ll be just hanging by the pool all day, so fire away with questions if you want.

Ps, internet pretty good. Interface well designed.

Not the library, but nature! I personally (especially at 8 am) would rather hear the sound of the ocean, perhaps sea gulls, etc. I guess some people on cruises are in relaxation mode as opposed to celebratory. I'm 60.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Suggest you start discussing smoking if you want to trigger some more "lively" responses.

Heh heh. Funny we were walking by the smokers “ghetto” all the way aft up here on the lido and dispite the fact that we are health fanatics,that group looked like they were having fun. Nice littte bar back there too that appears to do some business.

I agree with most posters, bring your own music. It solves both the preferred choice of music and the volume!

Once on a Ruby Princess cruise with my 95 year old aunt, we were spending our days at one of the tables by the pool, playing cards and scrabble. She loves to people watch!! But one day, when they were playing both a movie and music, it drowned out our own thoughts.