On Zuiderdam now...no music by the pool.

ConnCruise

I really don't get how quiet/no music = library/rest home. I am 60 and consider myself a 'music person'. But just not 24/7. If music genre isn't to someone's taste they should have a place to go where there is none. Never been on Zdam. Aren't there at least 2 pool decks to provide this choice?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is the mid ship pool, which on every one of my 16 cruises is the center of sea day, daytime activity. There are also a few hot tubs, tables for dinning, ping pong tables, a big area where they sell cheap stuff like T-shirt’s and hats, a bar and a hamburger stand. With or without music, this area is not going to be quiet between 9am And 3pm. No way this should be a music free zone. Perfect place for celebration, maybe not so much meditation.

Good question. I certainly understand it's appeal to some. So I'm hoping there will be a music free deck to escape to on the Kdam when I cruise in March.

Promenade deck is quiet, except for the ocean. :cool: All the way forward, in front of the gym. The deck above the pool and many many places inside throughout the boat are very peaceful.

Not one person is demanding loud music - simply use the spaces as they were intended. The pool areas were designed to include music. Some people are tired of music by the pool. Well, then don't sit by the pool, or YOU wear earplugs. Have a little appreciation for the other 1000 or so who may be on their very first cruise. Appropriate music, played at proper levels in the main public areas, combined with the smiles of the HAL staff, creates an undeniable infectous positive energy that helps make a good cruise great. Kill the music and you kill the energy.

This is the mid ship pool, which on every one of my 16 cruises is the center of sea day, daytime activity. There are also a few hot tubs, tables for dinning, ping pong tables, a big area where they sell cheap stuff like T-shirt’s and hats, a bar and a hamburger stand. With or without music, this area is not going to be quiet between 9am And 3pm. No way this should be a music free zone. Perfect place for celebration, maybe not so much meditation.
Does the Seaview pool(aft of the Lido) have piped in music too?

I’ve had enough of music by the pool. Princess and Celebrity both do it, and it gets annoying after the first hour of the first day. I appreciate that HAL doesn’t feel the need to subject everyone to music when they just want to sit by the pool and enjoy a quiet chat with their companions. I’m not even 40 years old, so no one can pull the “floating nursing home” line on me—LOL. I enjoy having a peaceful environment where I can relax. If I wanted music and a high-intensity experience, I’d sail RCCL.

None of them (Celebrity or Princess) has pool music all the time. Just during some hours.

Princess ships have several pools and music is offered only near one and during some hours. So everyone can pick how he/she wants to relax.

The Seaview Pool as well as inside Lido definitely had music piped in on Oosterdam on our 10/21 PC Transit. Easy listening and very good!

Normally, yes.

There was a time the Sea View pool was the 'quiet' pool, so everyone had a choice in the matter. I haven't heard it without music out there in a long time.

Normally, yes.

There was a time the Sea View pool was the 'quiet' pool, so everyone had a choice in the matter. I haven't heard it without music out there in a long time.

What did they do on ships like the Rotterdam, where they removed the aft pool (to allow more space to add cabins)?

Hank

What did they do on ships like the Rotterdam, where they removed the aft pool (to allow more space to add cabins)?

Hank

I was on the last cruise of this Rotterdam before she was 'adjusted'. I haven't wanted to return, as I loved her as she was.

It was quiet out on Navigation Deck aft back then.

That said, Rotterdam was redesigned in a similar fashion to the original change to the Veendam, which I did sail under all three configurations. Music was added to the new Lido aft on the Veendam, and I expect was also added to the Rotterdam aft.

You sailed her recently, so should know as well as anyone if there is music at the Lido aft on the Rotterdam.

Last year on Veendam to NE/Canada there was no music near any pools (or after Jacuzzis in the aft)

Music would be lesser problem than some other problems Veendam had...

Nice music is nice... unlike burping contests we watched (I know we didn't have to watch) on Zuiderdam in 2004. Assignment was that person had to drink a beer, swim to the end of the pool. Burp. Swim back. That was Carnival like entertainment.

Nice music is nice... unlike burping contests we watched (I know we didn't have to watch) on Zuiderdam in 2004. Assignment was that person had to drink a beer, swim to the end of the pool. Burp. Swim back. That was Carnival like entertainment.

Makes complaints about music sound silly now, doesn't it?

Makes complaints about music sound silly now, doesn't it?

Absolutely!

I really hope it was random and rare episode for HAL, when company was trying to attract younger folks.

Not one person is demanding loud music - simply use the spaces as they were intended. The pool areas were designed to include music. Some people are tired of music by the pool. Well, then don't sit by the pool, or YOU wear earplugs. Have a little appreciation for the other 1000 or so who may be on their very first cruise. Appropriate music, played at proper levels in the main public areas, combined with the smiles of the HAL staff, creates an undeniable infectous positive energy that helps make a good cruise great. Kill the music and you kill the energy.

Your "energy" is conceptual. The music can be pleasant by the pool, sure. A very nice feature for some, but it's simply not equally pleasant for everyone. Are you sure that a key shared space should have some element added to please an unknown percentage of people that want to use it? The socially conscious thing to do is not add something to the environment that cannot be ignored by those who find it unpleasant.

Your "energy" is conceptual. The music can be pleasant by the pool, sure. A very nice feature for some, but it's simply not equally pleasant for everyone. Are you sure that a key shared space should have some element added to please an unknown percentage of people that want to use it? The socially conscious thing to do is not add something to the environment that cannot be ignored by those who find it unpleasant.

So they should ban all music in all public spaces? Even some funeral homes play soft music.

Trying to please everyone pleases no one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So they should ban all music in all public spaces? Even some funeral homes play soft music.

Trying to please everyone pleases no one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd say that maybe they should not pipe in music, except (obviously) for music venues. Personally, easy-listening at a soft volume would be nice, but I don't want it forced on anyone. Plus, from experience I know HAL would not be immune to piping some garbage (techno or some variant - I can only hope it was a poor example of its genre).

Regarding your comment about funeral homes, it's a weak association IMO, unless you can elaborate.

Regarding "trying to please everyone...", this adage REALLY makes piping in music seem unwise.

:)

because a certain someone wants to read in complete silence?

Well then there is a library or something. Many people do enjoy Caribbean live music by the pool at least for some short time.