Fans on board

Wonderingabout

I have our TA work with HAL to have a fan and power strip in our cabin. Sometimes it is a desk top fan and sometimes a floor fan. We have had them on our last 10+ cruises. They are 110V fans so need to be plugged in at the desk.

We usually request a fan in the room, as it is also "white noise" if there is a possibility of hearing sounds from your neighbours! Ask your travel agent, or PCC at HAL to request one for you. A couple of times the request has not got through to the ship, but our room stewards have always found one for us. It has usually been a square enclosed one, and I put it up on the desk at night, and under the desk during the day. Easy peasy!:)

I've had a fan sent to my room a few times. You just have to ask at front desk or concierge. First come, first served, and they only have so many.

I'm bringing a little portable Honeywell fan with me on my upcoming cruise. It runs on AA batteries or a USB plug. It works great, and was only $15!

the issue is definitely the power outlet far away from where you want it... I kept staff out of the room when I had my (safe) extension cord go to the table by the bed... along with phone charging, I had a small tower fan that provided blow and noise. A simple and cheap solution if not provided on board by staff would be a USB battery and flexible fan. That solution is inexpensive, and the battery can charge while you're away (it was my backup option if they ever confiscated the extension cord because of lack of tips). ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have hot flashes, and ALWAYS bring a fan...a small, 5in. desk fan works on vacations....at home, I have an overhead thing spinning at high speed! I also bring an extension cord....without a surge protector...those are not allowed. A small desk fan will fit marvelously in your suitcase.

the issue is definitely the power outlet far away from where you want it... I kept staff out of the room when I had my (safe) extension cord go to the table by the bed... along with phone charging, I had a small tower fan that provided blow and noise. A simple and cheap solution if not provided on board by staff would be a USB battery and flexible fan. That solution is inexpensive, and the battery can charge while you're away (it was my backup option if they ever confiscated the extension cord because of lack of tips). ;)

IF they ever confiscated your extension cord because of lack of tips? Means what? You bribe them to b e quiet about a safely matter. Of, if I misunderstand, what does it mean?

We always bring two small night table fans with us on cruises. Our cruise last week on Oosterdam was no exception. My wife does the packing and after brief discussion about leaving them behind this time we decided to bring them again. Glad we did. The AC was perfect, actually even a little cold in the room at night just like we like it, but we still had the fans blowing right on our faces.

Now that most of the so-called experts have answered, please let me explain how this really works.

When ships are newly built, many crewmembers move onboard even before the construction is completed.

This usually results in no working elevators, no running water, and no aircon for a period of time.

To make the experience a bit more comfortable, the cruise line and the crew purchase hundreds of electric fans.

After the construction is complete, these fans are rarely needed. Many go into onboard storage, and many remain in crew cabins.

When a ship goes into drydock (generally twice every 5 years) these fans come out of storage, to keep the live-aboard crew more comfortable without aircon again.

If you want to borrow a fan (and maybe an extension cord), you can contact ship services. You can also ask at the front desk onboard the ship, or contact the ship's housekeeper. He / She is the one who usually is responsible for storing all those fans. As a last resort, you could even ask your stateroom steward or waiter. They probably have fans stored in their cabins or lockers for the next drydock. They would probably be happy to get them out of their cabins for a week or two by lending them to you.

GREAT help.. O f course, they keep a fan or two available Those dry docks in the Bahamas get HOT> :)

My wife likes to have a fan blowing in her face to sleep. I could take a desk turbo fan but it takes up a large amount of luggage space. Is it possible to have HA provide a fan on board?

So do I. And YES, HAL does provide them upon request. That said, you need to request 1 ASAP!!!

I send in an SRI form to HAL (Ship Services and our PCC) AND as soon as I get to my stateroom, if it is not waiting for me I find my Stateroom Steward and request one through him/her and also through the Neptune Lounge Concierge. IF you are not in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite you can go to the Front Desk and request it through them. Make sure to take whatever paperwork you have in regards to the Fan.

The fans I have always received are floor fans with Oscillating blades.

Joanie

My wife likes to have a fan blowing in her face to sleep. I could take a desk turbo fan but it takes up a large amount of luggage space. Is it possible to have HA provide a fan on board?

Yes, Wonderingabout, it is possible to have HAL provide a fan on board. All you (or your TA) need to do is contact HAL Ship Services.

I bring a small battery operated fan that fits nicely on the night table. It uses 2 DD batteries which last about 4-5 nights, always bring more batteries and screw driver. I got the fan at Walmart, not much $$$ or check Amazon on line.

I assume that you mean that you are using an ungrounded extension cord. I assume that you do know that electrical codes required grounded cords for a reason.

DON