Diamond Plus Experience

KKMurphy2

Who remembers when the Delta Sky Lounge admitted Diamond Medallion folks. And then one day it got to crowded and they changed the entrance requirements.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yup, I remember that. As the population grows...your perks diminish. :(

And remember when they allowed smoking on the plane! Ugggh....cough..cough...gag!! :eek:

I don’t believe every ship that had CL converted to SL, the location was the same. Oasis converted the VCL to SL/CK.

True, but also not very important. I think that that in all the ships that once had a Concierge Club and now have a Suite Lounge instead, the Suite Lounge is in a different physical location from the old Concierge Club. However, it doesn't really matter whether the venues are in different locations. All that matters is that the Concierge Club is gone and that D+ members who are not in suites used to have a choice of venues but now have only the Diamond Club. It is a long way from 80 points to 700 points with very few added perks on the way.

Thank you, most of these points mirror what i have posted and bar the CL changing to SL they are excellent.

Also agree...and thought that was the route RCI was going when the 3 drink vouchers came out. With the vast number of new born D's due to the baby boomers coming of cruising age...this would make the most sense. Was not that long ago that D's were kicked out of the CL (were no DLs at that time).

Still could go back to the old original "Diamond Event" before they installed the Diamond Lounges also. We always had fun at those! Just beer and wine and some bar peanuts....but great to chat with like minded frequent cruisers. :)

Actual perk eliminated on Oasis for D+:..... "Excuse me sir...could you direct me to the Concierge Lounge?" :o :(

Edited by island lady

Also agree...and thought that was the route RCI was going when the 3 drink vouchers came out. With the vast number of new born D's due to the baby boomers coming of cruising age...this would make the most sense. Was not that long ago that D's were kicked out of the CL (were no DLs at that time).

Still could go back to the old original "Diamond Event" before they installed the Diamond Lounges also. We always had fun at those! Just beer and wine and some bar peanuts....but great to chat with like minded frequent cruisers. :)

Perks eliminated on Oasis for D+: "Excuse me sir...could you direct me to the Concierge Lounge?" :o :(

Actually, I believe Royal is heading to convert all ships over the Sea, Sky, and Star Class. I don’t see this happening very fast with older ships. Don’t be surprised that within the next few years Royal starts building mid sized ships that are more modern and cost efficient. I promise to not say I told you so.

Technology has drastically changed in the last 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True, but also not very important. I think that that in all the ships that once had a Concierge Club and now have a Suite Lounge instead, the Suite Lounge is in a different physical location from the old Concierge Club. However, it doesn't really matter whether the venues are in different locations. All that matters is that the Concierge Club is gone and that D+ members who are not in suites used to have a choice of venues but now have only the Diamond Club. It is a long way from 80 points to 700 points with very few added perks on the way.

Also agree!

And just so excited about all the D's and D+ grouped together, (that are always quite large in number on such a populated ship), enjoying their time together in that "huge and vastly roomy" DL on deck four!! ;p:o:eek:

Also agree!

And just so excited about all the D's and D+ grouped together, (that are always quite large in number on such a populated ship), enjoying their time together in that "huge and vastly roomy" DL on deck four!! ;p:o:eek:

I’m predicting that Oasis and Allure next trip to a long drydock, the DL will be moved to Deck 4 from current location.

Actually, I believe Royal is heading to convert all ships over the Sea, Sky, and Star Class. I don’t see this happening very fast with older ships.

I would guess just Sea and Sky for older or smaller ships. Even the biggest ships have no more than 11 Star class suites. New smaller ships would have to have only about half that number and older ships would probably have only 1 or 2. From a marketing point of view, I don't think it makes much sense to add Star Class to ships that would have fewer than 10 Star Class suites.

On the other hand, there is no reason why Sea Class and Sky Class could not be added to all ships very quickly. The only major change requied would be the addition of Coastal Kitchen and Celebrity was able to add Luminae (its equivalent to Coastal Kitchen) to all of its older Millennium class ships without even needing a dry dock.

Edited by actuarian

I would guess just Sea and Sky for older or smaller ships. Even the biggest ships have no more than 11 Star class suites. New smaller ships would have to have only about half that number and older ships would probably have only 1 or 2. From a marketing point view, I don't think it makes much sense to add Star Class to ships that would have fewer than 10 Star Class suites.

Talking more towards new modern mid sized ships that are more efficient and pollute less.

On Presidents Cruise, new mid sized ships were possible to replace the older ships after they are finished building mega ships.

Yup, I remember that. As the population grows...your perks diminish. :(

And remember when they allowed smoking on the plane! Ugggh....cough..cough...gag!! :eek:

I remember the smoking on the plane 47 years ago and buying a pack of 200 cigarettes cheap.

I agree 100%.

I remember the smoking on the plane 47 years ago and buying a pack of 200 cigarettes cheap.

There is a funny TV ad out about the way things were that showed smokers on the plane...can't remember what company, thought...OMG! :eek: Forgot about that! And the days when you had to request the non-smoking section in restaurants.

At least some things change for the better. ;)

I remember you telling me you quit smoking....good for you...and a longer life to enjoy with your bride! :hearteyes:

There is a funny TV ad out about the way things were that showed smokers on the plane...can't remember what company, thought...OMG! :eek: Forgot about that! And the days when you had to request the non-smoking section in restaurants.

At least some things change for the better. ;)

I remember you telling me you quit smoking....good for you...and a longer life to enjoy with your bride! :hearteyes:

I stopped smoking 40 years ago about 1 year before i met Pauline.

Overall RCI has diminished the benefits of remaining "Loyal to Royal" by eliminating lounges, serving the cheapest of wines and alcohol, minimizing support staff and in some cases simply not offering what is listed as a perk for remaining with RCI over the years. We have decided to reduce the number of cruises we intended to take annually and explore other vacation options but will remain open to returning to our original cruising plan if we see a reversal in the current downward trends.

Wow! You are reducing your RCCL cruises because of perceived loss of free perks? I guess the RCI stock will crash with your decision. Hopefully those other alternative vacations will give you all the perks you mentioned here like nice lounges, expensive wines, etc. for free.

Reading this thread is about as worthwhile as watching the washing machine. Same people saying the same thing and agreeing with everyone who agrees with them and restating it less eloquently again to those who don't.

JC

My your a happy soul aren't you.

Thank you Troycahack but i don't need advice on what cabins to book.

I nominate this for Post of the Month. Thanks for the laugh.

It's been said many times - if you are cruising for the perks then your priorities are out of whack. The "perks" are only a small portion of the cruise enjoyment - or should be. Royal is in the business of making money. There are too many "professional" cruisers who book cheap cabins and spend NO money onboard and yet they are the first to complain about losing a perk. Take a look at Royal's advertising and the options on the new builds and you will see who they are trying to attract. It's not the AARP crowd.

I nominate this for Post of the Month. Thanks for the laugh.

It's been said many times - if you are cruising for the perks then your priorities are out of whack. The "perks" are only a small portion of the cruise enjoyment - or should be. Royal is in the business of making money. There are too many "professional" cruisers who book cheap cabins and spend NO money onboard and yet they are the first to complain about losing a perk. Take a look at Royal's advertising and the options on the new builds and you will see who they are trying to attract. It's not the AARP crowd.

100% agree. They have a Target Cruiser market and it is not those that do it on the cheap.

And many want more free drinks and exclusive Lounges

100% agree. They have a Target Cruiser market and it is not those that do it on the cheap.

And many want more free drinks and exclusive Lounges

45 cruises 42 in balcony or above cabins.

Foreign 5star hotel holiday every 8 weeks.

Who's doing what on the cheap?

45 cruises 42 in balcony or above cabins.

Foreign 5star hotel holiday every 8 weeks.

Who's doing what on the cheap?

Maybe you are part of the target Cruiser, one who spends lots of money with Royal while onboard. Don’t have any way of knowing. Why are you wanting an extra free drink? Why all day for voucher drinks?

Maybe you are part of the target Cruiser, one who spends lots of money with Royal while onboard. Don’t have any way of knowing. Why are you wanting an extra free drink? Why all day for voucher drinks?

As D+ the all day voucher suggestion was not for me but a possible solution if RC are considering the vouchers to pacify Diamond members if they change the requirement for entry to the DL like they did With SL.

We book tours and spend a lot of time in the specialty restaurants on board.