Chanukah - apparently doesn't exist on RCI

They don’t? Then what the heck is this?36775922450cfceeb85e5a2cbb7564a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

something that has its roots in paganism that was co opted by christians in order to sneak their religion into every day life of the masses. it is not strictly a christian symbol of the holiday season as even those of us who are NOT christian will partake of this practice. Unless there are cats in the house.

I cannot speak for other sailings, but I will be the rabbi on the Dec. 4 sailing of Serenade. This cruise includes the first three nights of Chanukah, I will be leading Shabbat eve and Chanukah services. I do not know what other provisions will be made for the celebration,

Nice!!

I just saw a photo of the decorations that are now up on the Anthem and there is a menorah! Countdown to boarding is getting close!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm on Anthem right now, 8 nights, today is the 7th day at sea. There was an orthodox minian every day, with sefer torah. Shabbath there were like 30 men. There's a big menorah next to Muchaels pub. I brought my own menorah, but there were chanuka candle self led services every night in the windjammer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Hi, I'm on Anthem right now, 8 nights, today is the 7th day at sea. There was an orthodox minian every day, with sefer torah. Shabbath there were like 30 men. There's a big menorah next to Muchaels pub. I brought my own menorah, but there were chanuka candle self led services every night in the windjammer.

As I would have expected....based on my own experiences sailing during Chanukah. Chanukah is not forgotten by Royal.

I'm not Jewish, but was on the Harmony sailing the week before your holiday. I saw the giant menorah on the promenade, not lit, but there.

There didn't seem to be photographers with lines of crowds like you see in front of the xmas tree, but I don't think photos with the menorah are typical???

It was prominently displayed, though.

I'm not Jewish, but was on the Harmony sailing the week before your holiday. I saw the giant menorah on the promenade, not lit, but there.

There didn't seem to be photographers with lines of crowds like you see in front of the xmas tree, but I don't think photos with the menorah are typical???

It was prominently displayed, though.

Let's not talk about taking pix with the menorah. They were doing pictures with Shrek next to the tree . My husband asked the photographer if he could take a picture next to the menorah. She said no. Then she came back to him and told him maybe wait until I finish with all these people and then I'll do it. Of course the line kept growing, so never happenned.

Let's not talk about taking pix with the menorah. They were doing pictures with Shrek next to the tree . My husband asked the photographer if he could take a picture next to the menorah. She said no. Then she came back to him and told him maybe wait until I finish with all these people and then I'll do it. Of course the line kept growing, so never happenned.

NOT the right way for it to have been handled, at all.

Was on NCL last week. Except for tiny menorah on GS desk there was NO Hanukkah celebration, let alone recognition. No space provided for pax lead services. I've been on RCI in the past where they provided some latkes and donuts in a space for pax lead services. I've been on Carnival for Hanukkah and it was very nicely done, given they were founded by an Israeli.

I was aboard the Anthem 2-14 December.....from the Cruise Compass:

Friday, 8 December.....5:15 PM Sabbath Service with Rabi Eliot Baskin Windjammer, Deck 14

Tuesday 12 December...5:15 PM Hanukkah Celebration with Rabi Eliot Baskin Windjammer, Deck 14

Wednesday, 13 December...5:15 PM Hanukkah Celebration with Rabi Eliot Baskin Windjammer, Deck 14

something that has its roots in paganism that was co opted by christians in order to sneak their religion into every day life of the masses. it is not strictly a christian symbol of the holiday season as even those of us who are NOT christian will partake of this practice. Unless there are cats in the house.

Ayep.

It’s the pretty-pretty but it means absolutely nothing Christian.

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"?! LOL

Please don’t tell me you’ve never hear that song. Google it now if you haven’t!!!

We were on MSC Divina last week, and every evening they had a Chanukah candle-lighting that was listed each day in the daily planner. They provided a battery-operated Menorah, Kosher wine, grape juice, potato latkas, along with the appropriate condiments, and donuts. The Captain apologized for not having a Rabbi on board, but we told him that wasn't a requirement. There were plenty of men (and women) who could lead the prayers and the songs. We had a huge turnout each evening. We were beyond impressed, as we never experienced this before on any of our cruises. On Friday evening, they also provided several Challahs, along with battery-operated Shabbat candles so we could welcome the Sabbath as well. MSC did a great job!!

Just a thought....

Let's not forget that Chanukah is considered a minor holiday and should in no way be in competition with Christmas. Do the cruise lines celebrate Shavuos?

Minor to you, I assume you’re not Jewish.

Brilliance observed Chanukah last week. They had 2 beautiful silk banners hanging in the Centrum and a large (6 foot) electric Menorah on one of the balconies over looking the Centrum with the appropriate number of lights illuminated each day. The Menorah would disappear late afternoon when I assumed it traveled to the Windjammer for the nightly 5:15 Chanukah observance. It would then reappear sometime in the evening. The nightly gatherings were consistently announced in the Cruise Compass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you assume that?

FWIW, I'm not Jewish, but we were discussing it with a few Jewish friends while on Oasis and they said it was a very minor holiday.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The confusion likely comes from it not being a biblical holiday. So it does not have the religious aspect of holidays like Rosh Hashanah and Passover. Jews can work on Chanukah. But the holiday is a major Jewish celebration that is very widely celebrated by Jews. It is not a very minor or minor holiday.

FWIW, I'm not Jewish, but we were discussing it with a few Jewish friends while on Oasis and they said it was a very minor holiday.

To explain it in a matter of perspective:

In Judaism, there are two holidays which are considered the ‘High Holidays’: Rosh HaShana (‘New Year’, which is not at all like the non-Jewish New Year), and Yom Kippur (which is a day of fast and repentance).

Then there are three ‘major holidays’: Sukkot (Feast of the Tabernacle, also known as the Festival of Booths, which takes place in the fall, a harvest festival and which is actually related to the Exodus story celebrated on Passover); Pesach (Passover),which takes place in the spring; and Shavuot (Pentecost) which falls seven weeks after the start of Passover and celebrates the receiving of the Ten Commandments. Sukkot and Passover are week long holidays, while Shavuot is only two days (only one day in Israel), and they are considered major holidays because their origins are in the Bible, and they come with a commandment to mark them with a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

The story of the miracle of Chanukah took place after the times of the Bible, and that is the reason it does not carry the notation of being a ‘major holiday.’ But Chanukah is marked by special prayers said during each time of prayer, and also after each meal, in addition to the well known lighting of the menorah. It is a pretty big deal in Israel where, of course, the story of the Chanukah took place (even though it is recognized as not being one of the major holidays).

Not a major holiday, but not exactly a ‘very minor’ holiday, especially not in Israel ;-)

To explain it in a matter of perspective:

In Judaism, there are two holidays which are considered the ‘High Holidays’: Rosh HaShana (‘New Year’, which is not at all like the non-Jewish New Year), and Yom Kippur (which is a day of fast and repentance).

Then there are three ‘major holidays’: Sukkot (Feast of the Tabernacle, also known as the Festival of Booths, which takes place in the fall, a harvest festival and which is actually related to the Exodus story celebrated on Passover); Pesach (Passover),which takes place in the spring; and Shavuot (Pentecost) which falls seven weeks after the start of Passover and celebrates the receiving of the Ten Commandments. Sukkot and Passover are week long holidays, while Shavuot is only two days (only one day in Israel), and they are considered major holidays because their origins are in the Bible, and they come with a commandment to mark them with a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

The story of the miracle of Chanukah took place after the times of the Bible, and that is the reason it does not carry the notation of being a ‘major holiday.’ But Chanukah is marked by special prayers said during each time of prayer, and also after each meal, in addition to the well known lighting of the menorah. It is a pretty big deal in Israel where, of course, the story of the Chanukah took place (even though it is recognized as not being one of the major holidays).

Not a major holiday, but not exactly a ‘very minor’ holiday, especially not in Israel ;-)

Thanks for the education, appreciate it.

I was just sharing what I was told by some American Jews

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the education, appreciate it.

I was just sharing what I was told by some American Jews

I really think it’s a matter of semantics. From a strictly biblical/religious interpretation it’s not a major holiday, and so therefore it is a minor holiday.

But in peoples’ hearts, it’s a very beloved holiday, filled with rejoicing with family and friends, creating fond memories which last a lifetime. In Israel it’s also marked as a holiday of heroes (and lots of fun fried treats ;-) ).

I was on a Celebrity ship during a Chanukah which coincided with Christmas several years ago, when there was a very large contingent of Jews from Mexico and South America on board. The ship really went all out, even providing what really shocked me- an actual (and very large) flame lit menorah, which was lit by a rabbi each night, accompanied by the voices of several hundred passengers singing along, and enough donuts and latkes to keep everyone smiling. But, while it was open to all each night, and was noted in the daily planner, it was held privately, in a hall, behind closed doors. While there may have been a small menorah in a public display somewhere on the ship (I don’t recall noticing one), the ship was filled with Christmas decorations, including a very spectacular tree in the main atrium.