Spa Junior Suite Not So Guarantee

AlanLW9

Are there any SJS not on a hump? I haven't been able to find any, just curious.

Does anyone know if the SJ-GTY is different than a JS GTY?

I don't know. What I do know is that hump cabins are hot commodities and the likilhood of getting one when booking GTY is not good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I don't know. What I do know is that hump cabins are hot commodities and the likilhood of getting one when booking GTY is not good.

I can totally understand that, hence why I was so happy with the deal I got!

I don't think I'm totally unrealistic for booking a SJ-GTY and expecting I'd get a SJS.. And If they're all on the hump, is it unrealistic thats what I expected?

Yes, but now you know and others will thank you for discovering that there may be a down side to booking that GTY category.

Silver lining.. too bad you're not on the boat, I'd have to buy you a beer! :beer-mug::beer-toast:

I also would not be happy with the family J S. We always book a SJS due to it having a large walk in shower with a ceiling rain shower and a hand held shower. Due to many surgeries I am not able to climb into a tub to access the shower. We were once upgraded to a superior grand suite and I was miserable. I was so afraid to climb in for fear of falling. Just try to call and see if they will teasing you.

I also would not be happy with the family J S. We always book a SJS due to it having a large walk in shower with a ceiling rain shower and a hand held shower. Due to many surgeries I am not able to climb into a tub to access the shower. We were once upgraded to a superior grand suite and I was miserable. I was so afraid to climb in for fear of falling. Just try to call and see if they will teasing you.

If you need a specific room, then booking a guarantee where you cannot choose the room may not be the best choice.

If you need a specific room, then booking a guarantee where you cannot choose the room may not be the best choice.

They were merely agreeing that the SJS is a superior room and mentioning how they were UPGRADED out of one on a sailing.

Had nothing to do with whether a GTY was right for this person.

We all understand that when you book a GTY you don't get to choose the room. The idea of this post was to expose how it also does not guarantee you a category. Ex. Booking a SJ-GTY and receiving a FJ.

OP---I have to agree with others that what you were assigned is absolutely reasonable given what oyu booked. A Family Junior Suite is sonsidered better than a Spa Junior Suite by the lkinem thus you got your SJS or better assignment as garunteed.

I also have a tall husband who greatly prefers a stand up shower without a tub underneath----the tub raises the floor and then he cnanot stand erect in the shower. So I get not wanting the tub. BUT, if you want a specific room type and no upgrade from it (upgrade as defined by the line) then you cannot book gty. You gambled and lost (or failed ot research and understand the booking, not sure which). Sorry. I hope you have an enjoyabl cruise anyway.

I have never heard of anyone who so loved the stand up showers. I think the real issue here is that the OP thought s/he was getting was to get a room on the hump. Which is HIGHLY unlikey for a GTY.

Stand alone showers accomidate taller people than a tub base does---I am not at all surprised that someone cares about it.

There are no Junior Suites of any sort available on the websites. (I don't use RC's). They all seem to have been assigned already.

But you can call and *ask* to be thrown back into the guarantee pool. The worst they can say is "no".

800-526-9723

OP---I have to agree with others that what you were assigned is absolutely reasonable given what oyu booked. A Family Junior Suite is sonsidered better than a Spa Junior Suite by the lkinem thus you got your SJS or better assignment as garunteed.

I also have a tall husband who greatly prefers a stand up shower without a tub underneath----the tub raises the floor and then he cnanot stand erect in the shower. So I get not wanting the tub. BUT, if you want a specific room type and no upgrade from it (upgrade as defined by the line) then you cannot book gty. You gambled and lost (or failed ot research and understand the booking, not sure which). Sorry. I hope you have an enjoyabl cruise anyway.

Stand alone showers accomidate taller people than a tub base does---I am not at all surprised that someone cares about it.

I failed to recognize that a FJ would be considered better than an SJ. That is on me as I've mentioned earlier in this thread. Where exactly is the tiers of cabins posted? How would one know without doubt a FJ is considered better than a SJ before booking?

A bit of a bait and switch to lure people in with the SJ and give them the FJ.

How would one know without doubt a FJ is considered better than a SJ before booking?

One would have to do some research to find that. Other than folks who read CC (which is the small minority of cruising public) most would not mind an FJ assignment, not even know what it is and that it is different than a SJ. Also, in the great majority of the cases, folks end up getting the GTY category they booked.

One would have to do some research to find that. Other than folks who read CC (which is the small minority of cruising public) most would not mind an FJ assignment, not even know what it is and that it is different than a SJ. Also, in the great majority of the cases, folks end up getting the GTY category they booked.

Need to bring back that 'Like' button..

I failed to recognize that a FJ would be considered better than an SJ. That is on me as I've mentioned earlier in this thread. Where exactly is the tiers of cabins posted? How would one know without doubt a FJ is considered better than a SJ before booking?

Well, what we have done before booking a gty when we were unsure of what might be considered an "or better" was called and asked for a list of all the cabin types we could be assigned.

It's also pretty easy to research online--the "family" version of just about any level cabin on a ship is generally considered to be the top level of that cabin type--mostly because they are bigger and overall people tend to prefer larger cabins.

Dont think this is bait and switch. Consider this:

You book a GTY cabin in a certain category. To RC this means you don't care about a specific room in that category. But others are willing to pay that bit extra to select a specific cabin in that same category.

When all the cabins in your category have been specifically chosen, you get what's left over. Sometimes this will be exactly what you wanted - sometimes not!

Make the call to RC and let us know what they say.

With the upcoming stateroom re-categorization, it's clearer how the junior suites rank. The better rooms are considered to be those with more square footage (including balcony).

J4: Spa Junior Suite

Cabin 267 sqft, Balcony 81 sqft

Two bathrooms: toilet+sink and tub+shower+sink (no toilet)

J3: Family Junior Suite

Cabin: 301 sqft, Balcony 81 sqft

Two bathrooms: toilet+sink and toilet+tub/shower+sink

J1: Junior Suite

Cabin: 276 sqft, Balcony 161 sqft

One bathroom: toilet+tub/shower+sink

I wanted to provide those who were following this thread an update.

My first attempt to resolve with Royal crashed and burned. I had a 30 minute wait time just to reach a representative. When I finally got through to Tracy she was nice, but could not do much to help. After she reached out to resolutions department they explained that because no SJ were available I was assigned FJ and prompted to end the call. I was not happy with that being the only solution so I asked to speak to someone who could discuss other options. Peter from the resolutions department was a nightmare. Very short with me, only repeating what he had instructed Tracy to say. At this point a heartfelt understanding and a "Hey we'll look into this" is all I needed. Regardless of what the outcome would have been. I had to become very irritated before he would give me the name of his manager. He gave me the wrong contact information but I was able to find the correct information.

I crafted a concise and honest email to management and received a phone call about 24 hours later. They had given me the room type I asked for. Shortly after another follow up call came from Miami.

Now had Peter taken the time to understand my situation, and offer any type of solution, I do not think Royal would have extended me this olive branch. I do now understand that they were in the right in assigning me this room. The turning point was them listening to my conversation with Peter. It was expressed to me multiple times that there are avenues that could have been explored and the "take what you get and like it" mentality that Peter had is not the message Royal Caribbean wants to send.

All in all I'm happy with the experience. I've learned about GTYs, cabin ranks and will be more careful in the future. I hope someone has been able to learn something from this thread as well.

I wanted to provide those who were following this thread an update.......All in all I'm happy with the experience. I've learned about GTYs, cabin ranks and will be more careful in the future. I hope someone has been able to learn something from this thread as well.

Thanks for your status update. Glad you finally got the stateroom you wanted. Persistence does pay off.

Hi Alan

I'm very happy this was resolved. From the tone of your posts here, I cannot imagine why Peter felt the need to be curt and dismissive of your request.

But hey it worked out in your favour this time

I have always said it is better to be politely assertive rather than rudely belligerent.

I hope Peter is made to listen to the recording until he understands that or recieves the necessary retraining.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app