Dissapointing service from Royal Caribbean

dasico

Yes, thanks I have already taken your suggestion on board, but to be honest I like the fight. From reading many posts on here RC need to lift their game in a lot of ways and make things more transperant. If we all roll over they will never change. Even if my pursuit is a fruitless one, at least I am geting my point of view to them and, even though they probably don't care, it may be the reason I will look elsewhere when I cruise again. It is not a hard thing to do to honour the original booking I made

It's also not hard to accept you made a mistake and live with the consequences. I try to take responsibility for actions. In this case you did not pay attention when the price changed to make sure you had what you wanted.

I understand if you booked and had the obc, but then through no fault of your own, it went away, this is not the case here.

I am sure they could add warnings for every click you make to then have you go check that you really want to make a change, but that would annoy many others.

Either way, good luck in your pursuits, and Happy hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

What was the mistake they made?

Apparently I 'screwed up' by not checking the OBC had been applied to my booking after paying the deposit. Instead I 'made a mistake' by accepting a $48 CAS discount instead of the $150 OBC deal that was offered. Not RC's fault they didn't advise that this OBC offer would be taken away when I entered our CAS numbers!!

Apparently I 'screwed up' by not checking the OBC had been applied to my booking after paying the deposit. Instead I 'made a mistake' by accepting a $48 CAS discount instead of the $150 OBC deal that was offered. Not RC's fault they didn't advise that this OBC offer would be taken away when I entered our CAS numbers!!

That's the way I understood it and was thinking maybe I missed something. I don't think you made a mistake. I think RCI didn't advise you of a change to your booking properly. I think things like that are on the company. I'm in the US but whenever I make a change my TA always tells me if it is going to be a net positive or net negative to me. I've called for deals and been told if I change I will lose something or gain something else. At least then I can decide which offer is better for me. I don't think it's fair to blame you for information that wasn't provided properly.

You don't get penalized. You get a cabin discount on any fare that can be combined with C & A Discounts. OR you can book the promotion and receive the lower fare. Most businesses do this. On most "sales," there is a disclaimer "not combinable with other discounts." I've done this many times. In fact, I booked 3 cabins for our family. I put my wife and DIL in one cabin, my son and I in another, and my military son in the 3rd. That way we could take advantage of BOTH my wife's and my D+ Cabin discount, and if military rates came up we could take advantage for all 3 cabins. Then a few weeks before final payment, they had a promotion "kids sail free." Since there 5 kids with us, I changed the fare. We lost the D+ discount as it was "not combinable," and the adult fare went up. But after getting the kids for free, it saved me a very significant amount. Did I get "penalized?" HECK NO! It was a great deal. You really need to get over the idea that you are "entitled" to every good deal PLUS an extra amount off.

P.S. I ALWAYS use a Travel Agent. Then this problem doesn't arise. She and I discuss the options and book the most advantageous to me.

Well said. I always check with/without Diamond Plus, Military, Home State to see which discounts amount to best for me.

That's the way I understood it and was thinking maybe I missed something. I don't think you made a mistake. I think RCI didn't advise you of a change to your booking properly. I think things like that are on the company. I'm in the US but whenever I make a change my TA always tells me if it is going to be a net positive or net negative to me. I've called for deals and been told if I change I will lose something or gain something else. At least then I can decide which offer is better for me. I don't think it's fair to blame you for information that wasn't provided properly.

Yeah, and now all I am asking RC to do is honour the original booking I made. ie. Take away my CAS disount and re-instate the OBC offer. I am not asking to be 'given' anything. That not too difficult i would think

Yeah, and now all I am asking RC to do is honour the original booking I made. ie. Take away my CAS disount and re-instate the OBC offer. I am not asking to be 'given' anything. That not too difficult i would think

I am in agreement with you. I hate when people on this board put quotes around the word entitled. Shows me they don't really know the word and want to use it in a pejorative manner to put people down. You aren't acting like you want double benefits or something you truly are not entitled to have. You made a booking, certain benefits were available, when you made a change you weren't informed properly of loss of benefits. It's not impossible to restore your booking to how it was originally. I'd press on with resolutions about this a bit firmer. Some people are more comfortable tossing away $100 than I am, so I say persist.

I am in agreement with you. I hate when people on this board put quotes around the word entitled. Shows me they don't really know the word and want to use it in a pejorative manner to put people down. You aren't acting like you want double benefits or something you truly are not entitled to have. You made a booking, certain benefits were available, when you made a change you weren't informed properly of loss of benefits. It's not impossible to restore your booking to how it was originally. I'd press on with resolutions about this a bit firmer. Some people are more comfortable tossing away $100 than I am, so I say persist.

I concur 100%. Yes the Op should fight for every cent that accrues to him/her. .

Unfortunately, your actual booking is the one with the discount. You didn't book with the OBC as you then went and added your C&A number before you pressed book.

When I try a mock booking it gives me $200 OBC, But when I add my C&A details it reduces to $100 OBC & gives me a $100 discount.

You need to look carefully before pressing book.

Good luck getting it changed.

This is really an old issue with both Royal Caribbean and its subsidiary Celebrity. For this reason, travel agents often have warnings on their web sites similar to the following: "NOTE: This promotion is NOT combinable with any tactical promotion like senior, resident, or loyalty so when you are at the SEARCH, do NOT enter any of these qualifiers it may result in a rate that is NOT combinable with this promotion." When in doubt, it is best to work through a reputable TA.

If you had asked the agent before agreeing to the new promo if you would be losing any promo this could have been avoided.

I am sorry but Royal Caribbean is acting with their TOS and sometimes promos are combineable and other times you lose the promos.

Booking with a Travel Agent can usually avoid this.

Thankyou all for your responses. And yes I agree I should have checked the confirmation more thoroughly. After a bit of back and forth, RC have looked at the original promotion at the time, and agreed to re-instate the OBC. My faith in RC has been restored (mostly).

Thankyou all for your responses. And yes I agree I should have checked the confirmation more thoroughly. After a bit of back and forth, RC have looked at the original promotion at the time, and agreed to re-instate the OBC. My faith in RC has been restored (mostly).

Congratulations dasico! I am very happy that it worked out for you. :D

The outcome you deserved; glad you reached someone reasonable that works for RCI and got what you were owed. None of the policy wordsmithers and brand defenders will come back to apologize either, you know, the ones who told you how wrong you were and this was your fault and RCI could never do any wrong.

Since I'm the one who put quotes around "entitled," or is it entitled, I will comment. You might want to check your grammar rules before commenting on grammar rules. So... Grammar rules for using quotation marks:

"Rule 8a. Quotation marks are often used with technical terms, terms used in an unusual way, or other expressions that vary from standard usage.

Examples:

It's an oil-extraction method known as "fracking."

He did some "experimenting" in his college days.

I had a visit from my "friend" the tax man."

Please note I used quotation marks on this quotation on quotation mark rules because it is actually a quote. Feel free to double check. Since a perk is not an entitlement (or "entitlement:") it is being used in an expression that varies from standard usage (see, no quotes. Happy?).

As to your quote (I point that out as I intend to use quotation marks again, so stand by), " You aren't acting like you want double benefits or something you truly are not entitled to have," in fact that's EXACTLY (capitalized with no quotes because I want to emphasize the word) what people do when they demand the benefits from one fare (OBC) combined with benefits from a second fare or program ( C & A Discount). So get off your high horse.

Should the agent have informed the OP? Sure. And word to the wise, always ask. Check the bottom line. Ask if you keep the OBC or any other perk encluded. I'm glad the OP was able to resolve this. Actually not a surprise for me. It seems like many of these little issues are resolved when you get to the right person.

Papa save your lecture, OP got the outcome they should have had from the start had RCI agent made proper disclosure. Just like I said. Others berated her, told her to give up, she was wrong, it was her fault. I know the meaning of words better than most around here, they have meaning. Choose appropriately.