To tux or not to tux

joanna111

I’d suggest either tux or suit. If I’m reading into this correctly you are doing Antarctica. The suit may provide more options......

Having that jacket may make a pre or post dinner stroll on the deck more comfortable without changing. You might also have a ball one evening. We did.

DH and I are on a 22 night Buenos Aries to Santiago cruise in January. Formal night is easy for me to pack for but not for DH. It seems like there are three options:

1. Take no dress clothes and rent a tuxedo for formal nights. Go to the MDR in a shirt with a collar but no jacket the other nights.

2. Schlep his suit and shoes for formal night but still just wear a shirt for non formal nights.

3. Forget the tux and the suit and just wear a shirt (okay, he should wear pants too) on formal nights.

He wants to avoid the hassle of taking a suit or even a jacket with him but I also feel strongly that I don't want to contribute to the further decline of formality. A tux is super-easy to rent (plus he looks cool in it) but I know he wouldn't want to be one of only 3 or 4 guys.

Any chance SA/Antarctica is more formal than other routes? How do you guys solve this?

I have never owned a tux . The only time I was on a cruise that had a mandatory wearing of a tux was on a Cunard cruise and I was admitted to the MDR wearing a black suit.

DH and I are on a 22 night Buenos Aries to Santiago cruise in January. Formal night is easy for me to pack for but not for DH. It seems like there are three options:

1. Take no dress clothes and rent a tuxedo for formal nights. Go to the MDR in a shirt with a collar but no jacket the other nights.

2. Schlep his suit and shoes for formal night but still just wear a shirt for non formal nights.

3. Forget the tux and the suit and just wear a shirt (okay, he should wear pants too) on formal nights.

He wants to avoid the hassle of taking a suit or even a jacket with him but I also feel strongly that I don't want to contribute to the further decline of formality. A tux is super-easy to rent (plus he looks cool in it) but I know he wouldn't want to be one of only 3 or 4 guys.

Any chance SA/Antarctica is more formal than other routes? How do you guys solve this?

Based on all you are saying I think best option is rental. No schlepping . When you rent, you can get clean dress shirts each day and even rent dress shoes. Will make your DH happy and you both will have great photo memories of the cruise.