are cruises this cheap all year?

luckyinpa

conversation specifically relates to NYC departures since that's what ive been studying:

I have not followed NCL prices this year. but i notice you can get 10 and 12 day gty insides for 399 to 449 right now for december and i have noticed the closer we get to the day they are cheaper by about 30 bucks or so.

does this type of pricing last through out the year? meaning like if it was may 15 today and i wanted a june 1 GTY inside, would it be the same 400 ish or is this a december anomaly?

I don't think you will see that kind of cost cutting for summer cruises out of NYC. They usually sail full. It's all supply and demand. They're trying to fill the boat. An empty cabin does not generate onboard revenue.

It also appears to me that the cost reductions are greater out of NYC right now than FL. As you know, we're heading into colder weather. That certainly affects price. It also seems like the multiple itinerary changes due to the hurricanes resulted in a number of cancellations and reduced demand.

I’ve found that the weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas are generally the cheapest weeks of the year to cruise - whether you book 9 months out or 30 days, I think that those prices are currently even cheaper than normal due to uncertainty caused by the hurricanes.

June is summer break; vacations will always be more expensive during summer break. You may find a good last minute deal, or you may not. No guarantees,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not just cruises. The weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas are the slowest weeks of the year for the entire tourism industry. Las Vegas goes to sleep during these weeks. The day after Christmas, all the people suddenly reappear like magic.

If you are on a budget, these are great weeks to travel no matter where you'd like to go.

Surely seeing some hurricane impact. A lot of people canceled cruises if they could when the itineraries changed or did not get published for a long time. Several itineraries change to be much worse and lower value than they were - looking at you, Breakaway, for this Sunday. :-(

I have no problem picking up these cheap cruises from November, into Feb. Over many many years. It is supply and demand and the demand has always been low in this timeframe. Also both ships are getting "older", I'd expect a slight increase in demands and fares when the Escape replaces the Breakaway. BUT, I have been very successful getting the dump prices all year long with NCL within their entire fleet.

To be successful- you HAVE to be flexible, with you having one date- not nearly as likely to pick up a deal. Flexibility is essential and in May/June, you need at least a 4 week window and also considering Boston. You also have to be fully accepting of NOT going.

Last few years- for Bermuda- I've found Boston, by far to be the winner with rate dumps. With NYC, a "benefit" with lower rates is the crappy 7 day itinerary with Port Canaveral/Nassau.

Keep track of pricing and you'll get a feel for how it goes. Me- I just booked the Breakaway- yesterday for sailing Sunday. :)

It's a Calculus of supply, demand, port, ship, itinerary, among other factors. Not all employers allow vacations to be carrier over into a new calendar year while others don't like employees to take time off close to the end of a calendar year, plus fewer children & teens to come along for family cruises. Vacation requests for DW in finance get submitted & not always approved until mid/late January for the calendar year ... then, there's the blizzard factor for some. Prices out of NYC "tend" to be lower from mid/late October thru mid December and right after New Year before winter break kicked in for February ... and, that's without competition from Carnival ... don't believe RCL prices go as low as NCL, but I could be "wrong"

You take your chances playing with last minute booking availabilities, probably with GTY stateroom assignments, and if you get lucky - still score Insider's promo & extra "free"bies or just go with the Sail Away no-frills. BA 7 days last month was $299 for IX without any perks, almost giveaway prices and zero solo supplements - possible to be away for a week for under $500 with DSC and the savings from a CruiseNext Cert. applied - plus another $100 NCLH shareholder's OBC given.

If you book with a good T/A - they might throw in extra freebies ... on top of any Latitude perks being Gold/Platinum ...

It can be super frugal for those from NYC or nearby suburbs, a subway or commuter train ride away - not having to worry about an overnight hotel stay & Uber/car service transfers, as that can cost nearly as much as a 7 nighter ... what's often known as the Florida-GSC-Nassau milky run. Pack a rollerboard & a backpack, take the E subway line to W. 50th & 8th Avenue, walk about 5 or 6 blocks to the cruise terminal.

so it sounds like i will guaranteed savings the end of every year. just how much is in question. i'm also fortunate enough to have total flexibility with my time but i dont have any cruisemates who do. so i need to get a cruise buddy.who wants to sign up?

the pride out of baltimore is a decent price the next 2 weekends but the NCLs in december out of NYC just really shocked me. and NCL is the only line not to ding you for being single. but i dont really wanna go single.

but i do cause the pricing.

conversation specifically relates to NYC departures since that's what ive been studying:

I have not followed NCL prices this year. but i notice you can get 10 and 12 day gty insides for 399 to 449 right now for december and i have noticed the closer we get to the day they are cheaper by about 30 bucks or so.

does this type of pricing last through out the year? meaning like if it was may 15 today and i wanted a june 1 GTY inside, would it be the same 400 ish or is this a december anomaly?

Is it the entire month of December or is it just the first couple of weeks of the month. The first couple of weeks of December are notoriously slow and inexpensive. Check the weeks beginning mid December and see what is happening with those prices.

There is no "guarantee" whatsoever, do your own booking searches, mock booking & see what the total come together to be $$$ - NCL isn't going out of its way to "advertising" solo specials and/or no supplement.

We had quite a few last minute, solo cruisers who booked & got nice deals recently on the BA, and they further happily "upgraded" by bidding low to a Balcony, all by themselves ... thus, it can be done with and without finding a cruise mate. Some of them enjoyed dining solo in the MDR as there're plenty of small tables but they're also invited & welcome to the evening gathering in the Studio Lounge, if they choose to participate & attend.

Take a look at the Roll Calls on the sailings you are interested in to see ... before pulling the $$ trigger to decide, "Deal or No Deal"

Port of Baltimore isn't exactly a commuter train, subway ride & local bus ride away from its downtown ... unlike NYC's terminals, and, even Cape Liberty across the river. Besides, you "coast" thru the CP Bay before heading out to sea & coming back.

so it sounds like i will guaranteed savings the end of every year. just how much is in question. i'm also fortunate enough to have total flexibility with my time but i dont have any cruisemates who do. so i need to get a cruise buddy.who wants to sign up?

the pride out of baltimore is a decent price the next 2 weekends but the NCLs in december out of NYC just really shocked me. and NCL is the only line not to ding you for being single. but i dont really wanna go single.

but i do cause the pricing.

You might be surprised at the enjoyment of traveling solo. :) NCL also offers a solo meet and greet in the evening. Also you can find group touring options with your roll call. I'm able to pick up these deals, cruising at least every month, haven't paid a single supplement yet. (19 in less than 2 years)