Not Happy with Hidden Fees on NCL

Fromdehood

As a frequent and loyal cruiser of NCL, I have grown unhappy with their increase in fees. I understand that they want to make a nice profit but sadly the quality of the experience onboard has declined.

1. What started out as an unlimited drink package has now turned into a limited package with a cap of $170 of drinks per guest per day plus the increase in gratuities. In addition, the drinks have been watered down and contain less alcohol. This was very noticeable on my last sailing on the Escape in September.

2. As the Bliss gets ready to sail next year, I'm hearing that it will also have additional fees to use the go-karts and other new features of the boat. I doubt very seriously this will be a modest fee.

Of course there is no stop to fees once they get started. I can see in the near future resort fees and fees for luggage. If this continues, I may have to start doing inclusive resorts. I just one to pay one price and be done with it.

As a frequent and loyal cruiser of NCL, I have grown unhappy with their increase in fees. I understand that they want to make a nice profit but sadly the quality of the experience onboard has declined.

1. What started out as an unlimited drink package has now turned into a limited package with a cap of $170 of drinks per guest per day plus the increase in gratuities. In addition, the drinks have been watered down and contain less alcohol. This was very noticeable on my last sailing on the Escape in September.

2. As the Bliss gets ready to sail next year, I'm hearing that it will also have additional fees to use the go-karts and other new features of the boat. I doubt very seriously this will be a modest fee.

Of course there is no stop to fees once they get started. I can see in the near future resort fees and fees for luggage. If this continues, I may have to start doing inclusive resorts. I just one to pay one price and be done with it.

Explain what you mean by a " cap of $170 of drinks per guest per day" and a watered down drink could just be a lousy bartender

During the Black Friday sale, I was told by reservations that there is now a limit on how much you can drink each day using the UBP. The limit is $170 per person. Yes, you are right it could have been a lousy bartender, but if so, the boat was full of them. I'm not even a big drinker.

When I price it out, NCL is still far cheaper than Royal Caribbean or Carnival (especially once I add the drink package), so I think it’s still a great value.

All of the big lines are moving to less included and more activities with fees - cruisers have shown they would rather have lower fares and the option to do something vs a higher fare and actives included, so the cruise lines are obliging.

NCL shouldn't try to be like the other big lines.

NCL does just fine against other cruise lines. There is no $170 cap on drinks, there is no hidden fees if you take the time to read the Terms and Conditions, like any aware, intelligent traveler does and your speculation about what fees the line may have in the future just sound like whiny internet fodder.

Have you been to an All-Inclusive before? We can talk ad nauseum about their "hidden" fees. :rolleyes:

In reality, the only way a company knows they are not meeting the expectations of their customers is if they have no new or renewing customers.... how many other cruise lines are there out there... LOTS. ..

I've cruised on one other cruise line and loved it so would have no problem cruising them again if I felt my patronage was no longer benifical at NCL.

Shop around, it's actually fun to see what other cruise lines offer... don't get stuck with something you're not happy with... it's your money.. spend it where you want to...

Enjoy your vacation.... cruise or land or.... lol your own back yard.. ;p

This is the first that I have heard about a daily limit. I would call to confirm as, unfortunately, the NCL reps on the phone don't always give the most accurate information. It seems unlikely that a change like that would happen without this board getting wind of it and accordingly getting up in arms about it.

As for water downed drinks, I assume you are watching them being made. The bottles all have jiggers on them so a simple 6 count pouring will produce an accurate drink. If you see that you are not getting the full portion of alcohol, you should request either a remake or additional drink.

If NCL plans to put a $170 per day cap on the UBP, they need to change their advertising.....

"Guests 1 & 2 get an Ultimate Beverage Package, including all you can drink spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and draft beer, and juice and soda." - NCL.com

I thought their drink packages were up to $15 drink, otherwise you pay the difference if your drink costs $20. And there is a 15 drink max. per 24 hour day??

I certainly wouldn't believe the £170 drink limit just because some NCL phone staff have told you about it. In fact, given their reputation for inaccuracy, it could almost be taken as evidence that no such limit exists. They weren't getting mixed up with the gratuity charge were they?

I've heard stories of watered down drinks before, or bar staff being slow to serve you with the UBP. My experience is so far the other way that it's ridiculous. Sometimes I'd much rather they just slowed down a bit. :)

As for the go karts, this is just the sort of high demand, low throughput thing that was always going to have a charge involved, to limit the demand. It isn't particularly an indication of any change in policy as they have always had charges for other such things like the Bowling, Ice Bar etc. Personally, I think it's not a great thing to have onboard, but I'm surprised that anyone was expecting it to be free.

Seeing the limit is $15 per drink that is a minimum of 11+ drinks per day. If one drinks that much they have bigger problems than a limit imposed by NCL. BTW NCL does not have boats, they have ships!

Of course, all the while the bar staff are ringing up multiple drinks on the same card people would hit that limit fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes some of their fees have gone up and some, IMHO are just stupid like the cover charge for Margaritiville (so I wont go, it is that simple).

As for the drinks. I just got off the Dawn about 3 weeks ago and found that my drinks were stronger than normal. The bartenders seemed to be adding extra liquor on top of the drink once it was made. There was no limit on the number of drinks one person ordered on the UBP. This does not mean they wont implement it later but I do not need 15 drinks in a day anyway. I want to remember the cruise.

I did do a price out yesterday of a cruise we are looking at booking. I looked at NCL, Royal and Carnival to just get a comparison. With NCL, I priced the cruise out with the drink package and the dining package, so it included the service charges. Royal was 1100.00 more but had 200.00 in OBC, no drink package and no dining package. Carnival was about the same price but no drink package and no dining package, so NCL still came out to be the better deal.

All I can tell you is to price your cruises out and find your best deal. It seems as though all the main line cruise lines have gone up on base prices and added fees so it takes a little more effort to figure out what is best but can be done

well we all have our own idea on all this: I do thing the overall cruise pricing has creaped up quite a bit, but otherwise I don't share your overall opinion: 1-the drinks are not watered down, I have watched the alcohol amount that goes into each drink when I order: no watering down in the case of the drinks I usually order. As for unlimited, I could be wrong but I have never seen anything about the amont one can drink in one day: let me add, if there is a limit, certainly $170 is enough for anyone person. Who wants to cruise with a bunch of drunks? Maybe I am not aware of the $170 because I never would drink that much. My drinks are never watered down, I watch them being prepared. Hubby always gets the type of scotch he likes, no problem. We sometimes in restaurants like O'Sheehans can't get the type of wine we like, but we don't go to O'Sheelans to drink anyway.

I do not know what charges will or will not apply to activities on the Bliss but it makes sense there will be charges for some actitives and equiptment. Of course, as you say, you have heard. Let's wait until the ship is in the water before we pass judgement. Charging a resort fee is unlikely but certainly possible and the luggage, well, we pay it when we fly, what is the difference? Do I like it? Hell no, but it is fact.

AI, there is where you may find hidden costs. That x number $s for day turns out to be a lot more, plus there is one port, the land resort location only. For some this works well, maybe you would be on of those.

And last but not least, none of these are hidden fees as you call them. Check other line including the perks and see what you come up with. I think you might be surprised.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Terms and conditions of the UBP. No limit.

c0a23ea41b8652f16255173bc1ad0b42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Brad,

I think I’m correct in saying this may be somewhat outdated, but I could be wrong. I think the % went from 18 to 20.

Being Positive makes life better. Look for the Good not the Bad

Brad,

I think I’m correct in saying this may be somewhat outdated, but I could be wrong. I think the % went from 18 to 20.

I just took it off the website about 10 minutes ago, but it may be outdated. I don't know why you would suggest that I was looking for the bad?

I posted it to counter the spread of false info about a limit to the UBP being limited, nothing more. I love NCL and I am very positive about them since I have had nothing but great cruises with them. I am going on the Epic in 89 days... but who's counting LOL. Happy sailings everyone

I just took it off the website about 10 minutes ago, but it may be outdated. I don't know why you would suggest that I was looking for the bad?

I posted it to counter the spread of false info about a limit to the UBP being limited, nothing more. I love NCL and I am very positive about them since I have had nothing but great cruises with them. I am going on the Epic in 89 days... but who's counting LOL. Happy sailings everyone

Brad,

Not implying anything, that is my signature, it’s at the bottom of all my posts. Sorry if you thought it was about you, it’s just my point of view on life.

We liked the Epic during a Med Cruise. We leave in January on the Dawn.

Enjoy the Epic and your time away.

It seems that it would be best for you to select a different line. You will find that they are all similar with fees, until you get to the luxury lines. In fact based on your last paragraph I suspect that the best vacation for you in the future would be something you find on AirBnB, because fees are going to continue to increase on cruise ships, because the cost of everything continues to go up, and with new tax bill, the buying power of middle America is about to decrease substantially.

I am curious what you mean in your first point about a limit of $170 per day of drinks?

As far as the Bliss is concerned I hope NCL charges a fortune for the go-karts and quickly realizes that they have no place on a cruise ship.