Can my 18 year old daughter drink alcohol on RC Australia/South Pacific cruises?

Kel000

Um title of the thread may give a tiny hint

Can my 18 year old daughter drink alcohol on RC Australia/South Pacific cruises?

So less than nothing to do with the rules in US ports.

So the answer to the original question is YES she can drink alcohol on cruises from Australia to the South Pacific.

Wow, someone has the wrong screen name. I still say there is nothing wrong with responsible drinking that is monitored by a parent. Send me overboard.

So doing something illegal is OK. Just because you say there is nothing wrong with it?

While I agree with what you say, in many places, what you are advising is illegal and can result in the parent in jail. Or on board ship, removed from the ship without a refund. Not the best advice to give someone.

But the good news for the OP is that they will be in place A, with none of the narrow minded restrictions and judgmental views of place B and as much as the place B people may argue their case about 'rules is rules' the fact is the OPs daughter can enjoy herself and enjoy her drink, without the fusspots disapproving ;p

I was responding to the posters who want to supply minors with alcohol WHERE AND WHEN IT IS PROHIBITED.

I have nothing against a drinking age of 18 on cruises out of Australia.

But Australians on cruises out of other countries should realize that they are subject to the rules in place there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So doing something illegal is OK. Just because you say there is nothing wrong with it?

While I agree with what you say, in many places, what you are advising is illegal and can result in the parent in jail. Or on board ship, removed from the ship without a refund. Not the best advice to give someone.

Not necessarily illegal, depends on where you are, but against their rules. And a silly rule at that. But that's my opinion. You've stated yours. I'm fairly certain I'm not advising someone to go out and rob a bank, just telling them not worry if they want to buy their child a drink on a cruise ship that has a history of doing squat to people who break their rules, and I'm talking about minor rules, not idiots fighting or assaulting someone. But we disagree so nothing either one of us can say will change our feelings.

As officers we do have the option of not writing tickets or making arrests,and just warning people about their behaviors. In my opinion, again, MY option, this is what would happen in an instance like this.

I would do it in a heartbeat. If that makes me a bad person in some of the uptight peoples eyes in here, so be it. I only answer to God and my wife.

Oh yeah, I'm sure I have to clarify my above sentence, I would only ever by alcohol for my own kid. No one else's. By the way, this will put some of ya'll in a tizzy, I have no children, only dogs and they only drink water.

This is not directed at any particular contributor but I have to say there seems to be some animosity regarding the drinking age of 18 vs 21.

Personally no animosity. Born and raised in England and cruised and traveled with my over 18-year-olds but under 21 many times. We obeyed the rules of the ship/country or place we were visiting. It's a personal decision. I think the majority of posters were just trying to explain or list the rules and penalties. Not everyone is a seasoned traveler and may not be aware of what could happen if they broke the rules and were caught.

Not necessarily illegal, depends on where you are, but against their rules. And a silly rule at that. But that's my opinion. You've stated yours. I'm fairly certain I'm not advising someone to go out and rob a bank, just telling them not worry if they want to buy their child a drink on a cruise ship that has a history of doing squat to people who break their rules, and I'm talking about minor rules, not idiots fighting or assaulting someone. But we disagree so nothing either one of us can say will change our feelings.

As officers we do have the option of not writing tickets or making arrests,and just warning people about their behaviors. In my opinion, again, MY option, this is what would happen in an instance like this.

I would do it in a heartbeat. If that makes me a bad person in some of the uptight peoples eyes in here, so be it. I only answer to God and my wife.

Oh yeah, I'm sure I have to clarify my above sentence, I would only ever by alcohol for my own kid. No one else's. By the way, this will put some of ya'll in a tizzy, I have no children, only dogs and they only drink water.

So you were not advising people it was OK to do this on land, where it would be actually illegal?

That was not clear when you first stated your opinion.

Yes, you do have the option as LE. But while YOU might give a verbal warning, the next LE might arrest the parent. For example, look up the Utah officer versus nurse debacle. Not ALL LE are nice people.

So you were not advising people it was OK to do this on land, where it would be actually illegal?

That was not clear when you first stated your opinion.

Yes, you do have the option as LE. But while YOU might give a verbal warning, the next LE might arrest the parent. For example, look up the Utah officer versus nurse debacle. Not ALL LE are nice people.

Nope, nothing illegal, and trust me we heard all about that idiot and the nurse he did wrong. Was overjoyed he got canned. He was a major moron.He needs to be arrested just for being the biggest jerk out there. His feelings got hurt..

But, I also want to add that all cops aren't bad guys either..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by dwayneb236

Nope, nothing illegal, and trust me we heard all about that idiot and the nurse he did wrong. Was overjoyed he got canned. He was a major moron.He needs to be arrested just for being the biggest jerk out there. His feelings got hurt..

But, I also want to add that all cops aren't bad guys either..

Agreed, I know a lot of good cops. And have run across a couple of not so good ones.

My point was, you first point did not specify on the ship, only that it was ok for responsible parents to allow their underage to drink. And, on land, that can be illegal. On ship, it is against the rules.

But as was stated, you have to look at the consequences, and determine if the rewards are worth the possible downside.

One thing with people being a bit off topic about other cruise departures is, people start reading these threads in the middle. And do not always read everything posted.

So if people only answered the OPs questions, someone would come along, read "can and 18 year old drink" see the yes answers, and be off and running. So better to be specific, and to point out the differences, when there are any.

I am surprising my family with a RC cruise in March 2018, my daughter will have just turned 18. I was told that she may not be able to drink alcohol as RC is an American company? Can someone please confirm or deny? I made sure we would be sailing after she turned 18 for this reason so I'll have to warn her if she can't drink! Thanks :D

Hi Kel000

I see your first post is on a Rollcall for the Explorer cruising from Sydney to the Islands so in answer to your question, yes your daughter can drink alcohol if she is 18 or over:)

I was on a cruise from Sydney on the Explorer a couple of years ago, was talking to a girl who was upset that she could not buy a drink package, the Deputy CD was nearby and said it was because she was under 21.......I said that it was 18 yrs here in Australian waters, he argued that he had just done the "course" in the US, but later found me and apologised, so even staff get it wrong.

Have a lovely cruise on the Explorer to our beautiful South Pacific Islands.

I really don't understand why parents would be so anxious for their 18 year old to experience the joys of alcohol. It is not as though you want them to have this positive experience. They will try it soon enough. Settle down!

In many other countries the age people are allowed to legally drink is 18. Even in Canada, some provinces are 18 others are 19. You may not understand why others think it's ok for an 18 or 19 year old to drink. But a lot of us don't understand why the age is 21 in the US.

If someone is used to being able to go out at home and having a few drinks of course they are going to be bummed out if they can't have a few drinks while on vacation.

In many other countries the age people are allowed to legally drink is 18. Even in Canada, some provinces are 18 others are 19. You may not understand why others think it's ok for an 18 or 19 year old to drink. But a lot of us don't understand why the age is 21 in the US.

If someone is used to being able to go out at home and having a few drinks of course they are going to be bummed out if they can't have a few drinks while on vacation.

Actually in the US, those under 21 are allowed to legally drink in most states, some with parental consent, some without. They just are not allowed to purchase or publicly consume alcohol.

Actually in the US, those under 21 are allowed to legally drink in most states, some with parental consent, some without. They just are not allowed to purchase or publicly consume alcohol.

Not really most.

Yes, 45 states have some exceptions, but many of them are very specific, such as medical, or religious (wine during services).

29 allow on private property, with parental consent, 6 on private property without consent. In both sets, the private property cannot sell alcohol (thus these do NOT apply to cruise ships).

Only 8 allow on alcohol selling property.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

The OP sounds like a sensible mum whom wants to ensure that she is following the cruise lines regulations on legal drinking age.

At least she will be with her daughter and be able to teach her about responsible drinking of alcohol.

If only more parents were as responsible, there would not be as many issues caused by the consumption of alcohol.

Not really most.

Yes, 45 states have some exceptions, but many of them are very specific, such as medical, or religious (wine during services).

29 allow on private property, with parental consent, 6 on private property without consent. In both sets, the private property cannot sell alcohol (thus these do NOT apply to cruise ships).

Only 8 allow on alcohol selling property.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Yes really most. As you stated, "29 allow on private property, with parental consent, 6 on private property without consent". 29 + 6 = most states, which is what I said. I wasn't speaking about cruise ships. I was responding to someone that posted that the drinking age is 21 in the U. S. In most states, it isn't. Go back and read my post.

Edited by time4u2go

This thread has turned into "it could only happen in America".

Some people seem upset at the thought of a 18 year old buying a beer whilst on the boat but when the 18 year old gets home there are no problems with them buying another firearm.

Hmmm, something doesn't seem quite right here.