Wow....some really harsh words about the Seaside !

Shippy

Eek I’m regretting it but I think I’m just over analyzing everything. What tipped me over the edge in the switch to MSC was the European flair, my dad speaks multiple languages and likes opera and I thought he would think it was fun. We are all going to be in a Super Family Plus cabin on Seaside with connecting doors so that should be nice (plus some babysitting options) and it was about 1700 cheaper for the nine of us. Although we did lose out on NCL’s unlimited drinks, we got the 12 drink vouchers for all 6 adults. I guess ultimately it was the Opera that tipped the scales. Haha —- in contrast to almost everyone else on these boards he was really excited about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All will be good. You are on a Caribbean cruise, no worries!

Another thread I read thinks some of the pricing we are seeing is based on this 21 day cruise and may not be typical once the 7 day cruises start.

If you booked a package with drink coupons you will still get them. It's new booking who wont.

We had stayed in the larger YC2 & YC3 cabins before. These are now categorized as a different type of suite with no access to the Yacht Club. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Could you please explain what this means further?? Sailing MSC and YC for the first time in October on Seaside. Thanks!

Could you please explain what this means further?? Sailing MSC and YC for the first time in October on Seaside. Thanks!

On the Divina, there are 3 YC2 cabins. Absolutely incredible. Some people did not like them because they were on deck 12 unlike the rest of the Yacht Club facilities. They also did not have a balcony.

On the plus side.....2 totally separate rooms with a solid door inbetween. The living room had a large couch & 2 stuffed chairs & big tv.

Off the side of the bedroom is a separate makeup table area in front of a very large walkin closet. Another TV in the bedroom.

Both rooms have floor to ceiling windows.

The is another closet by the entry door. The bathroom is HUGE. double sinks, large shower with jets & whirlpool tub.

If you youtube MSC Divina Yacht Club...that is the cabin you will see.

The 2 YC3 cabins are on deck 16. Basically the same. Just a little bit smaller in each room, including the bathroom, because there is a balcony.

All these cabins are on the front of the ship so it is sometimes hard to use the balcony because of the wind.

The price was really not much higher than a YC1.

If these cabins were available on the Seaside, I would try & snag one. However, the same space has been allocated to a different type of suite which is NOT in the Yacht Club.

This will actually be our first time in a YC1. So much smaller but once you have tried the YC facilities & service...it would be hard to go back.

I would also like to know why would non YC passengers would not be happy. I am a first timer on MSC on a balcony cabin.

Truth be told is that I am a little upset that other than the buffets and MDRs, you have to pay for your meals. RC and NCL have a bigger variety of complimentary places to eat, specially in newer ships.

RC food quality is lowest and availability the worst, you will be surprised with offerings on MSC probably. The buffet will be open 20 hours a day. You will see them making fresh real pizza and pastries at 11pm. You won’t want for a snack any time of day.

Someone on board said the interactive water slide is not free

What is an interactive slide? Isn’t every slide interactive? I can’t believe one slide in the water park would have a fee? Sounds off to me. I won’t freak out about anything on this ship until it sails from Miami for a few months and they finish the furnishings that obviously did not get completed yet

Sorry didn’t mean to say NO free food, just no free food in the sports bar. I kinda thought the sports bar would be the MSC’s O’Sheehans. It actually doesn’t seem like there will be food at all served. Or no one can confirm it. PS Sidari, I’ve been following you on other threads... thanks for your great info so far!

There is a Sports food menu going around. I believe it's from the Divina. All finger food and snacks.

From the North American/British market, I don't believe there are.

I think you are wrong!

I, for one, have been on 16 MSC cruises of which only two were YC, I've done 3 Aurea , and two Fantastica Cabins since they have had the Experiences, the other 9 cruises were a mixture of OV and balcony cabins.

I've sailed on 8 of their ships.

I know lots of other Brits who are repeat cruisers on MSC

Pete

The interactive slide has a mat that records your slide time and allows you to race others. The word on another site is that to ride with the interactive mat costs money but to ride without is free, which seems fair. That’s not fully confirmed yet.

Sorry didn’t mean to say NO free food, just no free food in the sports bar. I kinda thought the sports bar would be the MSC’s O’Sheehans. It actually doesn’t seem like there will be food at all served.

If there is food served, it will be very limited, no matter free or not (probably not). I think I one time saw people eating sandwiches in the Sports Bar on the Meraviglia which should be similar to the one on Seaside. It is really a place to drink and watch sports.

And yes, bowling is expensive, but 1000s of other activities are free.

What is an interactive slide? Isn’t every slide interactive? I can’t believe one slide in the water park would have a fee? Sounds off to me. I won’t freak out about anything on this ship until it sails from Miami for a few months and they finish the furnishings that obviously did not get completed yet
The water slide has slideboarding, which is a first at sea innovation that has been around for a few years at water parks around the world. Here's a YouTube video of it.

I'll have to join those concerned about the complimentary options available.... Going on a cruise with our family of 4 is a large expense and I want the experience to feel somewhat luxurious without the extra costs. We even went for the Aurea experience for that reason, but it seems our children won't even be allowed free ice-cream (only the adults). I can't see any other reason for such a change of drink packages other than trying to earn more revenue on families.

I understand they are a budget line and my expectations are lower than compared to say RCCL. But if I feel nickled and dimed the entire trip, I won't be coming back no matter the price of the cabin.

Still looking forward to our trip, but just feeling that there's some warning signs right now.

I'll have to join those concerned about the complimentary options available.... Going on a cruise with our family of 4 is a large expense and I want the experience to feel somewhat luxurious without the extra costs. We even went for the Aurea experience for that reason, but it seems our children won't even be allowed free ice-cream (only the adults). I can't see any other reason for such a change of drink packages other than trying to earn more revenue on families.

I understand they are a budget line and my expectations are lower than compared to say RCCL. But if I feel nickled and dimed the entire trip, I won't be coming back no matter the price of the cabin.

Still looking forward to our trip, but just feeling that there's some warning signs right now.

No free ice cream anymore? When did that happen? Is that a change in the classic drink package? We have the classic drink package (or whatever it is called) with our cruise for two adults and two kids.

My friends are on Seaside now. They like the ship, but said that buffets are crazy overcrowded.

I'm not sure I've ever sailed a large mass-market ship where the buffets weren't crazy overcrowded. Seems par for the course. I try to avoid them.

I'm not sure I've ever sailed a large mass-market ship where the buffets weren't crazy overcrowded. Seems par for the course. I try to avoid them.

They are avid cruisers and one of them is a travel agent who cruises nonstop including MSC (Inaugural on Meragvillia). She said that there were no space....

I understand they are a budget line and my expectations are lower than compared to say RCCL.

MSC is definitely not a "budget line", it is just not a US company. Additional to your cruise you get a free holiday in Italy, maybe you not enjoy or appreciate this but as far as I know also their US catalogue makes this quite clear. And ice cream may not be free in that "Jean-Philippe" places (yes, they annoy me too), but it is still free in the MDR.

And ice cream may not be free in that "Jean-Philippe" places (yes, they annoy me too), but it is still free in the MDR.

No free ice cream anymore? When did that happen? Is that a change in the classic drink package? We have the classic drink package (or whatever it is called) with our cruise for two adults and two kids.

I'm refering to the Ice Cream that's included in the Adult version of the Classic Drink Package, it came up in this thread in October after I had first noticed it at the Swedish website back in October.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53976567&postcount=58

"ALL-INCLUSIVE SOFT DRINK PACKAGE Thirst-quenching experience for our youngest guests! Unlimited sodas, mineral water and fruit juices. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet and restaurants including specialty restaurants. This package can be sold only to children 3-11 YEARS who are part of the group/family with all-inclusive package code 534 or 536 TERMS & CONDITIONS: Same as Adult version of the package"

According to MSC when I spoke to them this package is applied to my children when I book in Aurea experience.

They are avid cruisers and one of them is a travel agent who cruises nonstop including MSC (Inaugural on Meragvillia). She said that there were no space....

You would think with two buffets it would help alleviate the crowding? I’m guessing the concept will work better when the ship is in warm weather and the outer decks are more in use. For now the ship is essentially an “indoor ship”, and it’s difficult to truly get an accurate reading of the crowd factor.

We have the deluxe package for our kids and that's supposed to include all ice cream (I know it's the gelato on the divina, so I assumed it would be the same on the seaside), all items from the ice cream menu (milkshakes, sundaes, etc), smoothies, items from the pastry shop, and so forth. My kids are really excited about those things since we treat them like the treats they are and have them on more special occasions, but now it's sounding like there might not be a place to even get them on this ship? I also was actually looking forward to sports bar food, because again, it's food I generally only eat on holiday or during big games, so it's frustrating to hear that's likely gone, too. The prices of the extra activities are outrageous and another thing we were excited about that now we're wiping off the slate. We were hoping for a pass like on the divina. Perhaps all the expectation makes me gullible, but I don't feel like it's a huge stretch to expect a cruise line to keep some consistency across their fleet, even for new ships. When ncl has a new ship that includes an o'sheehans, for example, I know what to expect. Two weeks away and I'm starting to feel dread.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

This inaugural TA is not what one should expect once the ship is doing its regular cruises from Miami. For one, inaugurals are always fraught with issues in terms of service and figuring out how things are supposed to operate. Secondly, it is a rather different crowd.

We have the deluxe package for our kids and that's supposed to include all ice cream (I know it's the gelato on the divina, so I assumed it would be the same on the seaside), all items from the ice cream menu (milkshakes, sundaes, etc), smoothies, items from the pastry shop, and so forth. My kids are really excited about those things since we treat them like the treats they are and have them on more special occasions, but now it's sounding like there might not be a place to even get them on this ship? I also was actually looking forward to sports bar food, because again, it's food I generally only eat on holiday or during big games, so it's frustrating to hear that's likely gone, too. The prices of the extra activities are outrageous and another thing we were excited about that now we're wiping off the slate. We were hoping for a pass like on the divina. Perhaps all the expectation makes me gullible, but I don't feel like it's a huge stretch to expect a cruise line to keep some consistency across their fleet, even for new ships. When ncl has a new ship that includes an o'sheehans, for example, I know what to expect. Two weeks away and I'm starting to feel dread.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Isn't the Venchi Chocolate place on Seaside where we get the included ice cream/gelato and milkshakes and what not for the kids?

Isn't the Venchi Chocolate place on Seaside where we get the included ice cream/gelato and milkshakes and what not for the kids?

I honestly don't know. It seems to be the logical place, but then I've also read that the Venchi stuff is excluded because it's a contracted brand on the ship so...I don't know for sure but am hoping for the best. I have yet to see any menus or details about this particular issue from those on board right now. I would love for my worries to be proved wrong, haha!

My friends are on Seaside now. They like the ship, but said that buffets are crazy overcrowded.

That´s too bad. But maybe that´s because the weather might not be too good to be eating outside.

Anyone knows if you can bring food from the buffet to your cabin? If it is too crowded I would rather just eat there. I think it was NCL who wouldnt let you since they started to charge for room service at any time.

Also, I know MSC charges for room service, but des the food have a cost too?