Should I bid on Epic Haven

cookie38

We are in a balcony on the Epic 2/10-2/17. Havel already cruised on Escape, Pearl and Breakaway. Would love to try Haven. Is it worth the perks? I see you get own dining room, which I would love because we just have 3 day UDP and hate Manhattan and Taste. Also hate looking for pool chairs at 8 am.

Can anyone give me specifics as to what your Butler does for you?

ALSO, we are travelling with a few other couples, some of which are thinking about bidding too! Can other people visit your room? or strictly forbidden?

Any feedback is appreciated!!

I've only been in Haven on Getaway, will be in Epic Haven in January. The private dining room is wonderful. Some of the entrees are the same as you would get in specialty restaurants. The private courtyard is nice, especially on packed sea days. never had an issue finding a lounger on Getaway, and I'm told Epic's haven is larger than Getaways.

The butler will unpack for you (we didn't use this), bring you treats and snacks, show you how to use your coffee machine and restock for you, serve you room service including from specialty restaurants if you'd like it in your suite.

Your friends will be able to visit your room, but not dine with you in the haven restaurant or use the courtyard facilities with you if they are not staying in the haven.

We are in a balcony on the Epic 2/10-2/17. Havel already cruised on Escape, Pearl and Breakaway. Would love to try Haven. Is it worth the perks? I see you get own dining room, which I would love because we just have 3 day UDP and hate Manhattan and Taste. Also hate looking for pool chairs at 8 am.

ALSO, we are travelling with a few other couples, some of which are thinking about bidding too! Can other people visit your room? or strictly forbidden?

The Haven is definitely worth it. The Haven restaurant is (IMO) better than almost any of the specialty restaurants on the ship. Butler takes care of all your needs in the cabin, Concierge takes care of things outside of the Cabin. Please do a search on these boards...there are plenty of threads about what the Butler can do for you.

Your biggest problem will be if you are traveling with others and you win a Haven bid but they do not. You can have them as guests in your room, and arrange room service meals for them with you there, but they cannot use the rest of the Haven facilities. However, it is possible to bring them as guests to the Haven restaurant for a meal, once or twice, for a fee. Having sailed in the past with some of our group in the Haven and some out of it, I can tell you it's not the best situation if you want to spend a lot of time together.

When you place your bid, remember a couple of things: First, you'll have no choice about where your cabin is if you win the bid. NCL will assign it, and that's it. But the good news is that there's not really any bad cabin locations in the Haven itself. Second, don't get carried away bidding. It's like any auction..don't bid more than you can afford. Also, if you're bidding in the higher ranges, do a mock booking and make sure you can't just book the Haven cabin for less than you'd end up paying on your bid price.

While I have read on CC about the butler unpacking for you, has anyone actually ever asked for that? I love the Haven, it is the only way to cruise. But I could not see either of the butlers I've had doing that. To me, the role of the butler is drastically overstated on these boards. Our last butler was actually not good at all. They bring afternoon snacks, but the last cruise those were coming after 5:30! And deliver any room service. But the concierge service is great, no lines for anything, getting on the ship, off the ship, tenders, shows, any reservation you want, Posh, etc. However, not sure how it would work but in a group if only some of the group had access to the Haven. Unless you don't plan on spending lots of time with one another.

Only the 2 bedroom villa and owners suite are not sold out, as of earlier today. Im also on this sailing and minimum on 2 bedroom is 600 pp, owners is 1000pp, those are not worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I realize that some in the lower haven catergories can still bid to bump up, and possibly open up the lower catergories, however, am not holding my breath. We have bids in on all 3 lower catergories which are pending...would be nice, but am just as content in our balcony.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

However, it is possible to bring them as guests to the Haven restaurant for a meal, once or twice, for a fee.

Many people have reported that non-Haven guests in the Haven restaurant is no longer allowed.

Concierge has the power to allow it but many people have been denied even when willing to pay the $25pp per meal.

None, but you would likely have to add them prior to the upgrade and pay the difference then for adding two people. If you get the upgrade, due to occupancy limits, it might not be possible to add additional people after the fact. It all depends if NCL was offering 3 and 4 person free, if that was a perk you took with your balcony room, etc. with an upgrade, you do not get all 5 perks as you would if you booked the Haven outright. You would get what you had when you booked your balcony (which could be up to 5 if booked over Black Friday weekend). Sorry in reading this it all sounds very confusing. Short answer, you are only charged per person for the first two, if they allowed you to add additional people, the price would vary.

this may be really stupid question....the 2 bedroom haven suite holds 4 people.....only first two people pay the difference of the upgrade

....IF i added 2 people to my room, what rate would they pay?

Would not be bad at all.

BUT - you still would have to pay for two cabins. Yours and theirs since you are past final payment. Guessing you are talking about the other folks...

In one word, yes!

I did a dummy booking and saw that most are sold out, yet curious why they sent me the upgrade email this afternoon with all those options still out there!!

That is just the way the bidding program works. The cabins don't need to be available right now for people to bid on them. Some one in the haven might be bidding for a deluxe owners suite, and if their bid wins, their cabin becomes available.

While I have read on CC about the butler unpacking for you, has anyone actually ever asked for that? I love the Haven, it is the only way to cruise. But I could not see either of the butlers I've had doing that. To me, the role of the butler is drastically overstated on these boards. Our last butler was actually not good at all. They bring afternoon snacks, but the last cruise those were coming after 5:30! And deliver any room service. But the concierge service is great, no lines for anything, getting on the ship, off the ship, tenders, shows, any reservation you want, Posh, etc. However, not sure how it would work but in a group if only some of the group had access to the Haven. Unless you don't plan on spending lots of time with one another.

I have cruised with fam and friends in non-suite accomodations. We either met up with them after meals or ate with them ON THEIR TURF in the MDR.

We have had large balconies so we entertained there. Butlers tips reflected their assistance.

It works if expectations are realistic. It's OK for some people to want to spend extra and others not wanting to, depending on their particular wants, needs, budget etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

YOU SHOULD NOT BID.

As mentioned, if you are traveling with others and they do not get a Haven room, they can not come spend time with you.

I'm in the Haven on my next cruise and traveling with others who will not have Haven access. I consider that a benefit. When I need to get away (from them and their kids), I have the perfect place to hide out.

The Haven is definitely worth it. ....

Can not even begin to agree with this. Don't ask me - ask most of the people that make their decision>>

Apparently 90% or more of those cruising do not agree. After all, over 90% of those taking a cruise book insides and balconies, and OV if available when their are Haven suites to be booked.

The Haven is great, but it looks like most people to not think it is worth it.

(We have sailed in the Haven before by the way)

In my opinion, the Epic Haven is THE best of the NCL Havens (although, I have not sailed on the Escape, and that Haven does look really nice). The Haven on the Epic has A HUGE bar area and POSH is also included and wonderful. Our favorite cruise to date was on the Epic. We had an aft facing suite, so not directly in the Haven, but had access and we spent a lot of time in the Haven and Posh. If there would be one change I'd make is to ONLY book a cabin that is actually in the Haven if you plan to use the Haven. It is just so much nicer to step out your door and already be there.

We liked the Getaway Haven as well, and ate almost every dinner at that Haven restaurant. You don't even need a meal plan with the Haven restaurant, as the food and service is great!

• 8 months later...
Currently booked in an aft facing balcony on Epic, but not liking what I'm seeing and reading about the bathrooms. Are the haven penthouse cabins any better? IE do they have a bathroom with a door?

Not really.

We’ve sailed on the Epic 6 times in minis and Haven. Never gave much thought to room configuration. We’ve stayed in many boutique hotels in the US that are similar.

Can not even begin to agree with this. Don't ask me - ask most of the people that make their decision>>

Apparently 90% or more of those cruising do not agree. After all, over 90% of those taking a cruise book insides and balconies, and OV if available when their are Haven suites to be booked.

Couldn’t agree more, isolated with noisy children....

What a ridiculous statement!

90%, or more, of the cabins on cruise ships are insides, OV's & balconies. After all, many cruisers can't afford Haven.

IMHO, it's doubtful that many people who can comfortably afford the Haven would choose to cruise in smaller, less comfortable cabins.